Traverse Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a smaller antenna available for the Traverse LT2? My dealership has been less than helpful. The antenna is about an inch too long - it hits the top of the garage door opening.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The only thing you can do is check with the parts department or try some aftermarket sites. I personally don't believe GM offers a shorter one.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
the antenna in the traverse is slightly at an angle--pointed backwards and thick all the way.........

I noticed a NEW 2010 EQUINOX--- their antennas are pointed at the same angle (or close)-- and thick about up to 1/3 of the way up--- then it reverts to thin normal antenna...

YOu MAY be able to take this antenna and install it---- and then BEND it at the changeover point so that antenna becomes parallel to the ground...
this may provide you enough clearance...

an image I found online..... may just work

·
Registered
11,235 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. Would be nice if I could have someone else be the guinea pig. I will take it up with the dealership though. Thanks

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
DB_Traverse said:
Interesting. Would be nice if I could have someone else be the guinea pig. I will take it up with the dealership though. Thanks
Why do you want a shorter antenna????? Sounds like you're angry at the dealership for having only "one size" :confused:

If it is a problem with your garage door not opening high enough, why not adjust the "screw headed " stop control on the opener?

·
Registered
407 Posts
bobg1951chevy said:
Why do you want a shorter antenna????? Sounds like you're angry at the dealership for having only "one size" :confused:

If it is a problem with your garage door not opening high enough, why not adjust the "screw headed " stop control on the opener?
I think this has been discussed before, it may not be his door, but actually the opening where the wood header of the door frame is, only guessing here?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Exactly what it is. The wood frame catches the antennae. My Toyota Previa fit in no problem but the antennae was adjustable..As for the Equinox the antennae apparently does not fit the Traverse. The dealership is now looking into replacing the base and antennae...

·
Registered
43 Posts
DB_Traverse said:
Exactly what it is. The wood frame catches the antennae. My Toyota Previa fit in no problem but the antennae was adjustable..As for the Equinox the antennae apparently does not fit the Traverse. The dealership is now looking into replacing the base and antennae...
Maybe it's time for those low profile tires you always wanted. :thumb:

·
Registered
53 Posts
DB,

Have you considered tieing a short piece of clear fishing line to the top end, pulling it down as required and securing it in the gap between the back window air deflector. Not elegant, but might work ok until you find what you need.

Note, does this antenna also serve as the XM / GPS / OnStar receiver? It seems to have a thick, heavy base.

Regards,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The dealership managed to cut an antenna in half and silicon the end(no cost to me). It looks like a normal antenna and I am now parking the vehicle in the garage. I have noticed no interference with onstar/radio/xm. I still have the original as well. :thumb:

·
Registered
551 Posts
DB_Traverse said:
The dealership managed to cut an antenna in half and silicon the end(no cost to me). It looks like a normal antenna and I am now parking the vehicle in the garage. I have noticed no interference with onstar/radio/xm. I still have the original as well. :thumb:
Would love a photo, I personally wish my antenna was shorter.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Am I missing something here? the antenna on our Traverse is the shortest antenna of any vehicle I have ever owned and it is only about 4 or 5 inches tall or so and it clears my 7ft tall (standard height) garage door with ease. Is there a another antenna available on this vehicle that is taller than that or do they really make garage doors shorter than 7ft?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
ONELOVE ..... I'm with you on this post, I thought all garage door headers were the same height.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Folks,

I believe most garage doors have been 7-feet tall, but it seems that taller doors are becoming the norm, (just like 3-car garages).

Our house is about 1.5 years old such that the garage door opening and the retracted door edge are both exactly 95" high (nearly 8-feet) off the floor at that point. The finished ceiling is actually 11-feet tall at the garage door.

DB's garage floor may also be an inch or two higher than a sloped driveway recess at the garage door opening itself (to keep out water, etc). Since the rear tires are still on the higher floor, the antenna may catch when backing out.

All IMHO,

·
Registered
110 Posts
tdk said:
Note, does this antenna also serve as the XM / GPS / OnStar receiver? It seems to have a thick, heavy base.
The thick, heavy base is the XM / GPS / OnStar potion. The part that sticks out from that is the AM / FM antenna. My sister's car was missing the part that sticks out from the thick base and everything worked fine except for AM / FM radio. As soon as the dealer gave her that piece, the AM / FM radio worked fine.

There is only one type of antenna for the Traverse, correct?

·
Registered
1 Posts
DB_Traverse said:
The garage door height is less than 7'. I live in a 5 level townhouse with an attached (small garage). I have attached two pictures of the cut antenna.
That looks great. Just what I need (same problem). Do you know if they just clipped the antenna and put silicone up top? Would you be willing to share dealer/contact information so I and others can possibly do this ourselves?

·
Registered
1 Posts
yes get one from advance auto parts store. Part number is cf-rmcf, I just put on a traverse here at the dealer and it works. Its 4 inches long.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts