Traverse Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Antenna hits garage opening :(

I recently bought a 2010 Traverse and love it! Last week I let my brother use it over night and he did me the great service of pulling it into his garage for the night. In doing so the antenna hit the top of the garage door and the antenna popped off. I was able to screw the antenna back on just fine witch suppressed me but now I see there is more damage. The base of the antenna is no longer flat to the roof of the Traverse there is a gap all around the base. So now it’s not sealed and im concerned it may allow water into the cab. If anyone has any ideas on what I could do so the base is snug with the roof that would be great. The XM radio and Onstar work just fine if that matters.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Re: Antenna hits garage opening :(

Something was bent hopefully not the roof. The best fix is to just have the dealer replace it.

The other choice is to add some sealer silicon around the base to keep the water out.

Of course this will not look to good.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts

If youre in no hurry to fix.. put some clear silicone on there...
I dont know of too many people that stare at their antennas....

changes are not many people on here have looked at their antennas up close...

·
Registered
551 Posts

Narg said:
Here's a good option: http://www.visualgarage.com/home.html Shark-fin antenna. Really cool idea. They don't show the version that will fit the Traverse yet on the web page, but they do make one. Call them for details.
Not only do they not have one for a traverse but for no chevy models at all, I wonder why that is? If this actually worked well I would do it as I dont like seeing the antenna. But would it effect onstar? I wonder if that is why no GM products?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Today I took it to my local dealership, they had me go see the body shop and the manager there took one look at the antenna and told me he has fixed about 3 with the same gap. All from similar accidents, one apparently got taken off at the carwash. He then told me there would be no way of knowing the extent of the damage until he removed the headliner and that he would estimate the repair to cost $1000 I about fell over! I told him that is way too high and I would need more estimates. I did send an E-mail to the Shark fin Antenna people to find out if they make one for the Traverse.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts

Yes I wish they would make it like the old Onstar antenna and it would fold down at the base. Then if it hit stuff it would just fold down and not damage anything.

That was the one thing I was worried about when I bought it. I never thought to check to see if it was going to clear my garage door but luckily it was all good.

But glad I read this because now I will remember to watch other places I go to like some parking garages I know have low roofs.

·
Registered
248 Posts

:) Drmasser Sorry that that happend to your On Star antenna that would tick any one off. I would like you to let us know what you find out for Shark Fin I do think that would be a nice look.

8) Steve

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Good news! I took my Traverse to a local body shop, they took my headliner down and found everything to be in good condition then pulled the base of the antenna to the roof and resealed everything looks great. Oh and all for $50! I did get an E-mail back from the sharkfin people they do have a cover for the Traverse but they need a picture the roof of the Traverse to make sure there new cover will fit good. I have not sent the picture yet but if I do I will update.

·
Registered
248 Posts

Let me know after you send them a picture. I am still interested in this.

8) Steve

·
Registered
248 Posts

:) I E-mailed them and they said in 3 weeks they will have an antenna that will work on the Traverse so I will e-mail them back in that time frame and see if they come through.

8) Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts