Traverse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is seriously bugging me. We've owned the car about 2 months now so I went to check up on things. The DIC said we were averaging 12.5mpg. This doesn't seem right to me but I cannot be certain. Can you help me decide whether this is supposed to be like this? After 1 month of ownership the DIC said 10mpg. Now we only drive about 3-4 miles daily so we don't give it a chance to stretch it's legs. But really, we should be expecting more...right?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Impossible to answer without more info. What is your avg speed on the DIC? Are you doing mostly side street driving? highway driving?

As a comparison, using mine (AWD LT1) back and forth to work, avg speed is about 35 mpg, about 20 miles round trip. I max out at 14-15 mpg in these conditions. this is a relatively flat drive, but has a couple of small hills I go over.

Joe

·
Registered
121 Posts
On my 09 FWD, the average speed is 27mph / 19.6mpg for a 20 mile commute over a 7 day period. Over this past weekend I averaged 26.8mpg, 312 miles all highway.

Have you reset the DIC to start fresh? When you're accelerating from a stop do you keep the rpms under 2500?

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
well 1 item really stands out here...
3-4 mile daily drives...
with these drives-- the engine never really warms up.. and is running in cold engine mode...
If the traverse is like any newer vehicle (ive only driven my new Trav 19 miles)......
when cold the engine runs rich...
it has higher RPMs as the shifts take longer etc... all done to warm up engine faster...

this may be one of your mileage killers....

Also- do you reset your MPG meter with every tank?

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
I reread you post... 3-4 miles DAILY....
That means that its 3-4 miles ROUND TRIP?

In that case-- its about 1.5 to 2 miles 1 way.........

If youre driving that distance with a cold engine..... that is DEFINITELY one of the reasons youre gettin lower MPG...
The engine never heats up enough to exit that running rich mode.

I KNOW how far 1.5 miles is... Since I run my German Shepherd this distance (one way-- and then turn around--- 3 miles total) in the mornings several times a week....... and when I leave for work--- (In my Trailblazer) I know that the engine is still not warm enough when I drive by our turnaround point.

Once I drive my Traverse more-- ill get a better feel for the engine...
But id say that the short drive is a big factor.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh well, the DIC said about 16mph average speed. And to drop me off at school is down a HUGE hill and then flat land and then when my mom drives back to work its flat land. And we are only on a highway for about 20 seconds and its usually just main town roads.

Also, how do you tell if the traction control is off? I was fiddling (on accident) with buttons and pressed traction control. The car was in park but im not sure because my parents keep getting wheelspin-yes, wheelspin- when they jump of the line

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rbarrios said:
well 1 item really stands out here...
3-4 mile daily drives...
with these drives-- the engine never really warms up.. and is running in cold engine mode...
If the traverse is like any newer vehicle (ive only driven my new Trav 19 miles)......
when cold the engine runs rich...
it has higher RPMs as the shifts take longer etc... all done to warm up engine faster...

this may be one of your mileage killers....

Also- do you reset your MPG meter with every tank?
No...am i supposed to reset it? We dont reset anything or write down our gallons used. its just put gas n go.

·
Registered
121 Posts
maseacre said:
my parents keep getting wheelspin-yes, wheelspin- when they jump of the line
This and the short trips are the cause.... It takes a lot of throttle to spin the wheels, keep the rpm's under 2500 while accelerating and you'll see a huge increase in miles per gallon.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok ill try telling them that.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
ohhh WOW!!!!!
if youre getting wheelspin--- someone is being WAYYY too aggresive with the gas pedal

That shows that someone has a lead foot..... this is another reason for your low mileage.

Yes--- reset the Miles per gallon next time you refuel--- this way you will get MPG for that tank...
What its doing now-- is showing you the overall MPG since you bought the car... (or last reset it).

Traction control-- when you press the button- it will display on the dash... Traction control on/off...
right where the DIC info is displayed....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts