Traverse Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The history ; in 2015 a dealer has done the recall on my car 2013, but he needed 3 trials to fix it using the method stated by GM .
the end he said he soldered the wires. Two years back i started getting the message Service Air bag intermittently , sometime i needed to touch the wires under the front seat for the message to disappear. In my opinion this GM Recall is not needed and created a lot of frustration. Very bad decision by GM. It is complete failure by GM.
Now since moving to another area, I decided to visit another dealer to check it for me, they said the recall is closed ???
and it will be chargeable. Why GM ?? why ?? i wish i did not listen to 1st dealer and GM. The main purpose of this thread is to complain.
The 2nd purpose i decided to check the wires my self ? and soldered them if necessary. But i need to remove ( front seat assembly bolts) myself ( i read the document of GM Recall Bulletin No.: 14030 ) it is not clear how to remove them .
Anybody can help with pictures , Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Airbags should not have any soldered wires
If a GM dealer did that I would contact an attorney before you risk putting yourself, family, or friends in danger of a failed airbag deployment.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Airbags should not have any soldered wires
If a GM dealer did that I would contact an attorney before you risk putting yourself, family, or friends in danger of a failed airbag deployment.
I don't know what you have against solder. Soldering was the fix. It's not on the airbag itself, its on the wiring TO the airbags. Solder is far superior to crimping.

2013 Chevrolet Traverse Recall
Item Affected: AIR BAGS: SIDE / WINDOW
Date Announced: 03/17/2014
Description of Recall:
General Motors LLC (GM) is recalling certain model year 2008-2013 Buick Enclave and GMC Acadia and 2009-2013 Chevrolet Traverse and 2008-2010 Saturn Outlook vehicles. In the affected vehicles, increased resistance in the driver and passenger seat mounted side impact air bag (SIAB) wiring harnesses may result in the SIAB and seat belt pretensioners not deploying in the event of a crash.
Action Need To Fix It:
GM will notify owners, and dealers will replace the affected harness connections with soldered connections, free of charge. The recall began on June 16, 2014. Buick owners may contact the owner center at 1-800-521-7300, Chevrolet owners at 1-866-694-6546, Saturn at 1-800-553-6000, and GMC owners at 1-866-996-9463. GM's number for this recall is 14030. Note: Vehicles repaired as part of Customer Satisfaction Campaign 10085 and special coverage 10335 have already had the subject condition repaired and therefore are not included in the safety recall.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I don't know what you have against solder. Soldering was the fix. It's not on the airbag itself, its on the wiring TO the airbags. Solder is far superior to crimping.

2013 Chevrolet Traverse Recall
Item Affected: AIR BAGS: SIDE / WINDOW
Date Announced: 03/17/2014
Description of Recall:
General Motors LLC (GM) is recalling certain model year 2008-2013 Buick Enclave and GMC Acadia and 2009-2013 Chevrolet Traverse and 2008-2010 Saturn Outlook vehicles. In the affected vehicles, increased resistance in the driver and passenger seat mounted side impact air bag (SIAB) wiring harnesses may result in the SIAB and seat belt pretensioners not deploying in the event of a crash.
Action Need To Fix It:
GM will notify owners, and dealers will replace the affected harness connections with soldered connections, free of charge. The recall began on June 16, 2014. Buick owners may contact the owner center at 1-800-521-7300, Chevrolet owners at 1-866-694-6546, Saturn at 1-800-553-6000, and GMC owners at 1-866-996-9463. GM's number for this recall is 14030. Note: Vehicles repaired as part of Customer Satisfaction Campaign 10085 and special coverage 10335 have already had the subject condition repaired and therefore are not included in the safety recall.
I have nothing against solder and prefer it because I know how to do it. Most of the techs at my local dealerships I wouldn't let within 50' of my vehicle with solder. It is not so easy a monkey can do it, it requires skill and the ability to read the temperature of the wires or you can have a solder joint that's worse than a crimped joint.

Does anyone has experience on how to remove ( front seat assembly bolts )
There is a TSB for the creaky seats that tells you how to do it.

https://gm.oemdtc.com/6648/pi0521e-creak-type-noise-from-driver-andor-passenger-seat-track-front-mounting-area-2011-2016-buick-chevrolet-gmc

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
if I were to cut wires-- I would cut 1 at a time... dont need any shorting of airbag stuff.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I have nothing against solder and prefer it because I know how to do it. Most of the techs at my local dealerships I wouldn't let within 50' of my vehicle with solder. It is not so easy a monkey can do it, it requires skill and the ability to read the temperature of the wires or you can have a solder joint that's worse than a crimped joint.

There is a TSB for the creaky seats that tells you how to do it.

Creak Type Noise from Driver and/or Passenger Seat Track Front Mounting Area - 2011-2016 Buick Chevrolet GMC -
Not sure why you quoted me. Seems you should have quoted IH8SPM. He's the one who said no solder on airbag wiring.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Not sure why you quoted me. Seems you should have quoted IH8SPM. He's the one who said no solder on airbag wiring.
Being quoted is not a personal affront, I don't play an internet forum tough guy.

I was just furthering the latest in the discussion and pointing out that I wouldn't trust most of the techs around me touch my vehicle with solder. It is the most effective way to permanently pair two wires but needs to be done properly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wounder if anybody from GM look at this thread, and see why their Recall is a complete failure.
and they should have fix it again for free.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
GM is on this forum very sporadically and then it's just some kind of customer rep who doesn't really know anything. They very rarely actually help anyone. I've seen it maybe once or twice in 8 yrs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The history ; in 2015 a dealer has done the recall on my car 2013, but he needed 3 trials to fix it using the method stated by GM .
the end he said he soldered the wires. Two years back i started getting the message Service Air bag intermittently , sometime i needed to touch the wires under the front seat for the message to disappear. In my opinion this GM Recall is not needed and created a lot of frustration. Very bad decision by GM. It is complete failure by GM.
Now since moving to another area, I decided to visit another dealer to check it for me, they said the recall is closed ???
and it will be chargeable. Why GM ?? why ?? i wish i did not listen to 1st dealer and GM. The main purpose of this thread is to complain.
The 2nd purpose i decided to check the wires my self ? and soldered them if necessary. But i need to remove ( front seat assembly bolts) myself ( i read the document of GM Recall Bulletin No.: 14030 ) it is not clear how to remove them .
Anybody can help with pictures , Thanks.
I had the same issue, took to dealership where I purchased it, after diagnostics and 140 bucks they told me that they have to lift seats to inspect the wiring and what not, told me it may cost up to $900!! I don’t have that kind of money.. so I do some research. I ended up inspecting the wiring underneath driver seats, mind you I did not have take of the seats.. & be hold the yellow wire was loose when i tugged on it came right off. I wired the wires together and behold the air bag light went off. I called the dealership back explained what happened. & told me stop by to get a refund and clear the codes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Getting refund and a free reset, I would give them a second chance if they are needed in the future as they stepped up and did the right thing.
Not a common thing to happen nowadays.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Getting refund and a free reset, I would give them a second chance if they are needed in the future as they stepped up and did the right thing.
Not a common thing to happen nowadays.
How old and how many miles did you have when they did this?
I had an airbag replaced at 50,000 miles where GM paid for most (but not all) of the repair. Now I have the service airbag soon light on again at just under 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
How old and how many miles did you have when they did this?
I had an airbag replaced at 50,000 miles where GM paid for most (but not all) of the repair. Now I have the service airbag soon light on again at just under 100,000 miles.
Update: driver's side air bag $1500.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts