Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a venue for us ham operators (or other radio enthusiasts) to trade notes on the installation
of various radio gear & antennas in & on our Traverses.

I'm KA8VIR, and just bought a 2011 Traverse LTZ. Right now I'm trying to learn more about
power bus options on my Traverse, then over the next couple weeks I intend to hook up a
Uniden BC-996XT scanning receiver, remote-mount RADAR detector, portable GPS receiver,
remote-mount VHF/UHF dual-band transceiver, and remote-mount HF/VHF/UHF transceiver.

Of course, I want to minimize EMI & RFI issues, have a clean-looking, ergonomic &
physically safe (in terms of a crash) installation of all the items, plus mount the
external antennas to maximize their performance but without looking too obnoxious
& scaring-off the chicks.

The plan as of now is to drill a hole in the roof for an SO-239 mounted antenna
for the VHF/UHF ham transceiver. I am concerned about EMI/RFI with both the
OEM AM/FM/GPS/XM radio antenna, as well as the passenger area ceiling-mounted
LCD display when I'm transmitting on VHF/UHF. With the normal AM/FM/XM/GPS/OnStar
antenna towards the rear & a sunroof above the front seats, this antenna
will probably be just to the rear of the sunroof (which means pretty
much directly above the ceiling-mounted rear LCD video display...).

HF/secondary VHF/UHF antenna will probably be a hatch-mounted Yaesu ATAS-120
system on the right rear (opposite side of gas tank port...).

As for the scanner antenna, I'm thinking about drilling a hole or using an
L-bracket near where a normal 31" AM/FM broadcast whip antenna would
be on the right front fender -- not an optimum location, but I need space
between it & the VHF/UHF transceiver antenna. Otherwise, the scanner antenna
may be a smaller glass-mount on the windshield.

While none of the above will be easy, I anticipate the most difficult aspects to be
finding the best locations to mount the various displays up front. The LTZ is loaded
with every option, so there's not much open space on the dashboard.

What setup(s) do you have in your Traverse, & how did you do it? Any EMI/RFI issues?

Tim
St George, Utah

·
Registered
193 Posts
UtaHooligan said:
Of course, I want to minimize EMI & RFI issues, have a clean-looking, ergonomic &
physically safe (in terms of a crash) installation of all the items, plus mount the
external antennas to maximize their performance but without looking too obnoxious
& scaring-off the chicks.
Isn't having a ham radio in your car by itself a good way to scare off chicks?
;)
Just kidding...

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the total number of Traverse owners with ham radios approaches the statistical equivalent of zero. Not that I won't be jealous once you get it installed...

Personally, in addition to going for low-visibility equipment, I would also go for locations that will 1) require the least amount of permanent modification to the vehicle, and 2) make it easiest to remove the radio/antennae without leaving visible "scars." I say this mostly because it could affect your resale value down the road (see previous comment about the statistical demand for such an accessory).

Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What did you end up doing? I am a ham radio operator also.
I have a Kenwood D700 with a remote head. I thought of mounting the base in the little storage area in the trunk area. That area has easy access out of the vehicle. Figured I could power it either from the 12v recepticle in the cargo area or direct connection to the battery under the rear seat. What I am struggling with is antenna cable routing. I am hezident to drill holes in the roof. Its a 2011!!!!!! But I may have to do that. If not I was thanking if I put in a luggage rack cross member on the roof and attached the antenna to that and then run the cable in somehow. Thought I might could come in the housing that holds the xm/am/fm antenna but could not see an easy way to get it off.

Any ideas of other ways?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too am curious about what you decided to do. Add another ham to the list of Traverse owners. 2010 model.

I am considering installing a mobile but wanted to install it under the passenger seat, if possible. I am concerned about the power connections, and making sure everything is done safe. One issue I have now is the voltage from the accessory ports in my Traverse.

I have a Yaesu vx-8dr that routinely overheats because of the voltage from the accessory ports is often over 14 volts. It makes the VR in the radio too hot to operate. My Garmin nuvi handles it OK but does get very warm to the touch.

Let me know how you make out.

73 de KB3TJT

Jesse

·
Registered
37 Posts
I too am a Ham, and in my experiece with Multiple different vehicles with ONSTAR and XM and all with my VHF/UHF Yaesu in them I have had no trouble with interference as far as XM/GPS/OnStar goes. I have had the Antenna mounted in many a different locations on all these vehicles. First My 03 Silverado was mounted on the rear opening door for Max Antenna Usage. When I went to an 05 Colorado I had the antenna mounted with an L bracket right next to the AM/FM Whip antenna by the hood(also with no interference problems). Then I had that vehicle totaled when I was hit by a texting driver. So I moved all my gear to my 05 Chevy Tahoe with Onstar and had the antenna mounted on the rear hatch with no problems. Finally in my 08 Silverado I have it on the rear Facing door just like the 03 had. I have had no issues with using the VHF/UHF setup while XM is on or my Radar dectector is going either. In any of the vehicles. The Hole in the roof thing Is something I have tried to avoid since the newer vehicle had some real structural stuff stamped into the roof vs. older trucks having cross supports. Being a unibody car type vs an actual truck fram I would suggest getting some L Brackets and mounting them to the Roof Rak Side Rails to prevent and 1/2 size holes through the roof. When I finally talk my wife into letting me put a rig in her Traverse I will use a clamp style mount to attach the antenna to the Rear liftgate and place the main unit in the little storage space under the cargo area. I have already been collecting the parts and accessories that I need. Once I dig out the box I will send you the part # as to what I have. I have seen my Dad and my Papa put Hams in about 30 different vehicle over the years and it has got a little trickier with the new ones out.

@Jhindmarsh--- A way I eliminated radio over heating was I installed a regulator and a noise filter in the power line of my Yaesu that I have in my Silverado. I to had the overheating issue due to crazy voltage spikes from the Accessory Ports, but so far so good. I have 30,500 miles on the Silverado and about 15,000 with the regulator and noise filter installed and no problems since. Local Radio Shack actually had what I needed. Hope this helps let me know what you end up doing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
And of course i hit post before saying

KD5ZPN
SA, TX

·
Registered
2 Posts
@AFMoulton - Thanks for the heads up on the VR and filters.

What about mounting the radio with a remote head? I have a Kenwood TM-G707 with the separation kit but have not installed it yet. I can't seem to find a good place to mount it. I thought about the rear storage but was concerned about heat build up in a closed space. Under the front seats it a bit tight. Was hoping for something out of sight (from my XYL).

Did anyone run power direct from the battery or use the accessory ports in the front, middle, or rear of the vehicle?

Thanks in advance - Jesse

·
Registered
37 Posts
For my silverado I mounted the unit up under my rear seat and the head is under the dash on its remote mount (Yaseu FT-7800). It is in a very confined space with little airflow around it and I have yet to have it overheat, and have talked quite a bit on it. It also had a good heat sink and small cooling fan. My Dad has had a Yaseu FT-90 in the storage area of his Trailblazer for about 9 years now and it has not had a problem with heat at all.

I think that if you mount it in there and you leave enough space around it that it will not have a problem with heat at all. Just give it enough room around it to breath.

As far as going from the accessory point try to find another source of power back in the back and use that if you can. Maybe the 12 V dedicated power for the Trailer wiring harness if you can. Good Constant source of power. That is of course if you have the towing package.

·
Registered
271 Posts
K5TVM here.

I have my Icom 208H running in my 2010 Traverse (LT1), with magnetic mount antenna and powered via the 2nd seat power port. I've only had the Traverse a week, but have been monitoring the Forest Fire operations here in NM. Good stuff - if you like that kind of thing.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Kemosabe said:
I have been monitoring the Forest Fire operations here in NM. Good stuff - if you like that kind of thing.
What are they saying? I'm in Ohio on my way from New York to New Mexico (moving to Rio Rancho). Hoping it's not too smokey when I get there! Please tell me there's good news about the fires!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just picked up a 2011 Traverse and looking to install a Kenwood D700. I am looking at connecting the radio directly to the battery but I am looking for a switched connection for the GPS as I do not want it hot 24/7. Where did everyone else get your power source as I hear horror stories about power in these vehicles? 73.....

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
there is a switched connection at the rear of the Onstar Mirror.

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
ohhh, in that case...
Maybe if you have the tow package-- maybe something in the electrical connection hub is switched?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got a CPO 2009 LTZ on Wednesday. Planning to install (or have installed) an IC-7000 with all the bells and whistles After being off the air for about 20 years. My "plan A" is to put the unit in the small storage space in front of the hatch. 30amp power is my big concern. I've got a Tarheel II screwdriver going in and it's controller can probably tap into the lighter socket (wires behind the panel). I'd love to hear any words of wisdom concerning main power and whatever horror stories exist about tapping into power. :eek:

My install is on hold as I've got to take the vehicle back to the dealer tomorrow (already!) but that for another thread i.e. "getting a bad deal and service from dealer". I always thought Penske was a better name but lesson learned! They even had the nerve to send me an e-mail asking me to send referrals their way. Not going to happen! <-- off topic (sorry). Anyway, after I get my issues resolved, I'll get this rig installed and post some pics. 8)

Dan
KJ6IRV

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
If you need 30amp, the way to do that is follow the example of those guys with mega stereo systems and run a wire straight from the battery. Suitable fused of course!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any updates or photos? I am looking to install a CB radio in my 2011 Traverse, but there are not a lot of obvious options for mounting places. ;) Gonna have to get creative and would love to see what others are doing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm looking for a nice clean install of a ham radio in a traverse. Might just have to go with a portable model and not do any modifications to the vehicle, though. :)

KE7UOP here. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just purchased my 2013 Traverse LTZ and so far, my wife and I really like it. I have installed many rig's thru the years for other hams. This vehicle does have lots of goodies such as navigation, XM radio, onstar as well as other electrical devices. I have normally run a seperate power wire directly to the battery as well as a seperate ground wire also directly to a designated groune point on the vehicle. I'm currently using 2 meters and have a Kenwood TM-241 rig so I'm looking for a place to install it now. I have been a fan of the 1/4 wave antenna mounted to the roof but I'm thinking about using a glass mounted antenna this time. I'll let you know how it turns out.
73's
N7TSN - Tommy

1 - 20 of 28 Posts