Traverse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got the car over the summer and have already been thru 4 alternators like every 300 miles we have no idea what the problem is, the wiring looks fine have no idea what to do now.

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
are you buying OEM units or remanufactured units?
Any modifications to the car? stereos, lights?

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
I wonder if it is a ground problem. since it attaches to the engine block- I would check to make sure all the ground straps to the engine are good. (not loose, missing, corroded).
Theres a post around here (traverse/acadia/Enclave forums) where engine grounds are listed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You think that could cause it to work for a little bit even tho it is slowly killing the alternator?

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
See here for engine grounds.

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
yeah, bad grounds for the alternator are one of the reasons and alternator can get damaged.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Best to go to a shop that specialized in auto electrics repair. Good to know what is failing in the alternators, a winding of the armature or a diode or bearing assembly. If it is the diode a shop should be able to determine what is generating the problem with the alternators. It is insane to keep installing alternators and hoping that something will magically change.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The shop that replaced all those alternators should have tested each time before replacing that high dollar part. Your battery seems to be fine and your main components seem to be fine and since there are no changed accessories, I would go back and do another visual and re-tighten the connections. If you knew the voltages and amps, you could check the input and outputs. You could disconnect the battery and check resistance through the alternator as well. I don't know where to find such a schematic ...maybe someone here has that information. As Montereyjack2$ suggest, got to a auto electrical shop.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Charging circuit. The problem is that you don't know what the BCM and ECM are telling the alternator to do via the CAN bus (the dotted lines coming out of the box with the up/down arrows). Just a thought: Maybe the Battery Current Sensor has failed (or is no longer hooked up?) and so the BCM/ECM, not seeing any current flow, are telling the alternator to put out power like mad and it's burning out the diodes in the alternator???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts