Traverse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some 2011’s were bad BUT THATS ALL I HEAR ON HERE THERE HAS TO BE SOME POSITIVES

I JUST PICKED UP A 2011 with 40k miles now I’m worried!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Come back off the ledge and relax. Freshen all the fluids, use a quality synthetic oil at 5,000 or less mile intervals and it should treat you well. There are plenty of trouble free, high mileage Traverses running around so don't be discouraged.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Come back off the ledge and relax. Freshen all the fluids, use a quality synthetic oil at 5,000 or less mile intervals and it should treat you well. There are plenty of trouble free, high mileage Traverses running around so don't be discouraged.
So I linked my my car vin to the car fax car care site and see the only matience performed was at 20k miles back in 2014 so what happens between 20k miles 2014 till now 40k miles and 2021

what should I get done ASAP I think the dealer may have just changed oil and topped off .

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
790 Posts
So I linked my my car vin to the car fax car care site and see the only matience performed was at 20k miles back in 2014 so what happens between 20k miles 2014 till now 40k miles and 2021

what should I get done ASAP I think the dealer may have just changed oil and topped off .

Thanks in advance
You have no idea what the dealer put in, so I would go get a quality full synthetic and a new oil filter and change the oil right away. I'd also get a case or two of full synthetic Dex VI (I've been using Valvoline's due to ease of availability) and do the transmission drain and fill at least twice. Also drain and fill the transfer case and rear diff with synthetics.

Basically replace every fluid in the car and filter assuming they are original. If you are handy this amounts to $150-$200 at most in material but gives you a whole lot of peace of mind.

Also, my Traverse I bought used at 80k miles and it didn't have one record in the carfax but was clearly babied. Records in carfax aren't be all, end all. None of my vehicles have any records since I do my own maintenance.

Reactions: greentraverse

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a 2011 LS AWD since new with 147k on the clock, and I've had almost no problems with it. Changed the struts at 120k, brakes and tires like normal, simple stuff. Change the fluids, and you'll be fine. I've only ever had the fluids changed at the dealer, and I couldn't be happier with it. And I haven't babied this thing at all. I tow with it (Have the factory pkg) and have even gone places you wouldn't dare take one, and came out with no damage other than some new fancy pinstripes. these SUVs are really great as long as you just do simple maintenance. And how you found a 10 year old Traverse with only 40k on the odo is beyond me. Good for you man.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
"And how you found a 10 year old Traverse with only 40k on the odo is beyond me."

It must have been driven by one of those mythical little old ladies to church on Sundays.

As Santa in the M&M Peanuts commercial says - "They DO exist!!" 😁

(I have a "half as old" 2016 Silverado 2500HD with "half as much mileage" - 20K, so maybe I'M one of them?? Mine is used mostly for towing a travel trailer in the summer, so not lots of miles.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 2011 LS AWD since new with 147k on the clock, and I've had almost no problems with it. Changed the struts at 120k, brakes and tires like normal, simple stuff. Change the fluids, and you'll be fine. I've only ever had the fluids changed at the dealer, and I couldn't be happier with it. And I haven't babied this thing at all. I tow with it (Have the factory pkg) and have even gone places you wouldn't dare take one, and came out with no damage other than some new fancy pinstripes. these SUVs are really great as long as you just do simple maintenance. And how you found a 10 year old Traverse with only 40k on the odo is beyond me. Good for you man.
Still got the new car smell too lol

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I have a 2017 with only 8,000 miles on it. Car still like new. My bike and my motorcycle is doing the work for me most of the time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know some 2011’s were bad BUT THATS ALL I HEAR ON HERE THERE HAS TO BE SOME POSITIVES

The car will hold up, it's the engine that's the problem. It will be expensive, but I suggest oil change every 3000 miles. As it gets older, it burns more, and GM knew of this, but didn't bother telling those of us who blindly followed their recommendations of 8000 miles. Ours still runs after 175K miles, but it started burning oil and damaged the lifters on the timing chain and those can't be repaired affordably, so the check engine light will stay on forever

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have a 2011 with 145k . I had it for a year and I've had no problems with it. The only thing I did to it was put a oil catch on it
so it doesn't get oil build up in the head.Enjoy your new car and don't worry it's a good car.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks in advance
If the prior owner did their own service, it will not show up on a Carfax. I just traded in a 2013 Sierra pickup that I bought new. The only service record on the carfax was the first oil change at 5,000 miles. I do my own service. A carfax on our Traverse would show the same information.

We have a 2011 Traverse LS with about 50,000 miles. We bought it new. It has been trouble free.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my 2011 brand new and currently have 100500 on the odometer. The two issues I have had with it is the rack and pinion needing replaced at the 80K mark and a couple AC issues. The AC issues were minor leaks thankfully and didn't break the bank to fix. I take good care of it and keep up on the maintenance. Keeping my fingers cross for no major failures that result in spending half the value of the car at this point.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a 2011 Taverse i bought with 8K miles. I finally got a new Traverse last June, but the 11 had almost 250000 miles on it before the transmission started slipping. Take care of it and it will last.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts