Traverse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to this forum and was looking to see if anyone has added the Air Lift Air Bags for the rear suspension on the Traverse. It helps with about 100 lbs or so it says but I am wondering if its really worth the money or a waste of my time. I dont want to modify anything that GM has spent countless hours working to engineer just a simple Air Bag Addition to help out.

Any inputs would be fantastic Thanks.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I see no reason. I've had mine loaded right down with the camper right at the max tong weight and the back end has still been ok.

The rear utilizes bump stops so it will not sit down to far.

I assume you have a tow package. The only reason to bag the rear end would be to tow.

I know plenty of people tow larger campers with the stock suspension with no issues.

If you don't have the tow package do not your maximum tow capacity is only 2000lbs.

You can't add the tow package after the fact. GM tow package makes changes to the computer that are activated when the tow mode button is hit., Plus the alternator, transmission/oil coolers are all added to support the 5200lbs tow option.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have the tow package with the tow/haul button and stock hitch and wiring harness with all the other very important upgrades for towing. I was just wondering as it willbe the first time towing with this car(its the wife's). we mainly use my Silverado for towing things all over but we are going on a trip to SD from TX and need to take a small U-Haul with us to return some items to the inlaws.

I did not want to load the rear of the Traverse down so much as to lift the front end off the ground and make the steering light.

What size Trailer have you hooked up and how did the Traverse react to it back there?

Thanks.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Welcome AFMoulton,

I haven't seen any of your posts....are you relatively new to this forum?

I have been towing my 23' travel trailer that weighs around 4800lbs. Its a Jayco 213, you can look it up if you want more details.

Anyways, as long as you have a WD hitch, you'll be fine. When I put the full weight of the tongue on the hitch, it squats pretty good. I would never tow it like that. Once I put the WD bars on, I transfer a bunch of weight to the front. Over all, when the trailer is hooked up, the suspension settles 1/2" at each tire.

I measured this last year when setting up my hitch. I measured from the driveway to the edge of the wheel well before hooking up, then again after setting the hitch. If I remember corretly, I believe that the Traverse setteled about 1.5" on the rear without the WD bars.

Also, make sure to install your electric brake controller before you hitch up, if you have electric brakes on you trailer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes Quantum i am new to the forum. I have read a lot about your Towing Experience. Right now it will be just a small 4X8 UHaul trailer. I have my own 5X8 Enclosed Utility Trailer that I will tow my motorcycle in. The Heavier of the two trailers which is my 2008 Fleetwood Bayside I pull with my Silverado. I was just wondering about how far it likes to squat down in the back and if anyone had any experience with adding air bags or even the facotry self leveling suspension that is offered on the Buick and GMC. Thanks for all the great posts I have learned a ton in just the past few days.

If I would have only done this 36K miles ago.

Jeff

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just had the Air Lift 1000 bags installed on my Traverse FWD. I haven't towed my travel trailer yet after installing these bags but I will post my experience once I do. I can say that the ride when not towing and with the minimum pressure of 5 PSI it rides just as it did without the bags.

This morning I hitched up my trailer after inflating the bags to the maximum recommended pressure of 35 PSI. The truck sits at the same height as when the trailer is not hitched up and the truck was stock and empty. I measured the distance between the concrete drive and the top of the wheel well when the truck is empty and it measured the same with the trailer hooked up and the bags inflated to the 35 PSI maximum recommended inflation.

The bags cost me about $120 with shipping and Camping World charges 2 hours labor to install. I used a coupon and got the labor for half price, so my total cost was about $235.

I pulled my trailer just fine without the air bags but I felt the approximately 2 inches of squat I got when I hooked up the trailer caused my lights to shine too high and left too little suspension travel for the rear wheels. My tongue weight is about 400 pounds and the trailer weighs about 4000 pounds loaded. I like the ability to keep my truck geometry the same when towing or when heavily loaded as when not towing or heavily loaded.

Is it worth the cost? I believe it will be for me but since I haven't yet towed with the bags installed I will reserve my conclusion until I do. I will return to the thread once I have towed with the bags installed and share my conclusion.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I had them on my Colorado they worked great on it. I'm pulling the same loads with the traverse but now issues so I didn't add them to the traverse. I even towed a large camper home for a friend when is truck died and the traverse had no problems with it. He does have a load leveling hitch so were able to balance out the camper better.

·
Registered
11,426 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
It would be interesting to see pics.

Right now I have no need for airbags as I use a WDH to tow my trailer. Its quite amazing how much "pressure" is on those bars. When I disconnect, I put the jack down to the ground and give it 2 or 3 more cranks. The height of the Traverse doesn't change. Then I unlock the hitch ball lock, and still nothing changes. Then I release the WD bars. When I release the second bar, the Traverse drops 2-3 inches.

So you can imagine, my trailer is not putting any down force on the Traverse, but my trailer (when using the WD bars) is actually lifting my Traverse. Once I crank the jack up though, I'm sure there is significant weight on the Traverse.

Hard to explain, maybe I will document it with pics one of these days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts