Traverse Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday I started getting the service airbags and the little red service airbag light is on. Oddly enough the news yesterday morning mentioned a new airbag recall for all 2007 to 2014 chevy SUVs and trucks. Mine is a 2014 Traverse. What is the problem and how do I fix it?
Also, I ran my OBDII scanner and there are no trouble codes.

·
Super Moderator
2020 High Country
1,266 Posts
Scan tool has to be able to read SRS codes. P code (powertrain) only scan tool will not read them. There are 4 code families in GM vehicles. P, B, U and C and all need to be scanned. If a light is on and messages pop up then a code is definitely set.
Recall is for the Takita made airbags that may shoot out shrapnel when they deploy.

·
Super Moderator
2020 High Country
1,266 Posts
@repairman54 If I go to O'reilly or something, will they have something that can read it?
Maybe, it's a matter if they use a capable scan tool. Some places will only scan P (powertrain) codes and ABS codes as they sell those parts. Airbag system can be dangerous so some places will not offer advice to prevent liability.

Reactions: bigvince

·
Super Moderator
2020 High Country
1,266 Posts
Having the same issue on wifes 2012 Traverse. Ive checked the fuses and the connections under the seat and still cant figure it out.
Scan tool that reads SRS codes it the only way to know what's going on. Codes help point the way to the source of the problem.

Reactions: bigvince

·
Super Moderator
2020 High Country
1,266 Posts
I think a Bluedriver can, uses your phone and a plug in dongle. I have a PC based tool that I've had for several years, a lot more money but it's paid for itself easily.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts