Traverse Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,760 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have read the thread and did not see any mention of having to or not having to Flash the computer when installing the new switch (which I don’t have any at all). 2017.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
So far as I am aware, no re-flash necessary on Gen 1's. At least not on my 2011, and a number of later years; at least no one has reported such.

I don't think anyone knows on a 2nd Gen, to my knowledge.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I added the switch to my 2015 LTZ. No flash was needed. To check to see if it is working count the number of blinks the lain change feature does. With tow haul there are extra blinks. Also look at the volt meter. With tow haul the alternator is always charging and does not drop down when the battery is fully charged.

·
Registered
3 Posts
LT one does not have lane assist but I can definitely check it with a voltmeter. Thank you for the heads up.

2017 LT1 Traverse

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
LT one does not have lane assist but I can definitely check it with a voltmeter. Thank you for the heads up.

2017 LT1 Traverse
He wasn't talking about lane assist. If you push the turn signal lever down for just a second (not so it latches in), you'll get 3 flashes. If you have the tow/haul turned on, you'll get 6 flashes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello all, hope I am not late too the party. Saw all of these posts and did all installs with the exception of the HD Radiator (to confirm, complete installs are hitch [including weight dist and sway control], 7 pin, EBC and tow/haul multi-switch). Thanks all for the extremely helpful tips. I have 2014 LTZ AWD and tow a fully loaded 4000# travel trailer. Here is the interesting thing, when I towed it for the first time W/O the multi-switch, there were zero problems at all, no overheating etc. The second time I towed was with the switch (confirmed working) and the dash temp would go up ~20 degrees and then back to normal. I live in central Texas so the tow was hilly but nothing extreme, sunny hot day in mid 90's both drives as well. Has anyone else noticed dash temp fluctuations before getting the HD radiator installed? In each circumstance the temp came back to normal while driving but when it went up it was unnerving. Would love to hear any insights you all might have. Thanks!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hello all, hope I am not late too the party. Saw all of these posts and did all installs with the exception of the HD Radiator (to confirm, complete installs are hitch [including weight dist and sway control], 7 pin, EBC and tow/haul multi-switch). Thanks all for the extremely helpful tips. I have 2014 LTZ AWD and tow a fully loaded 4000# travel trailer. Here is the interesting thing, when I towed it for the first time W/O the multi-switch, there were zero problems at all, no overheating etc. The second time I towed was with the switch (confirmed working) and the dash temp would go up ~20 degrees and then back to normal. I live in central Texas so the tow was hilly but nothing extreme, sunny hot day in mid 90's both drives as well. Has anyone else noticed dash temp fluctuations before getting the HD radiator installed? In each circumstance the temp came back to normal while driving but when it went up it was unnerving. Would love to hear any insights you all might have. Thanks!
Could be the nature of tow/haul mode holding lower gears. Higher RPMs means more heat being produced and without the HD radiator you can't get rid of the heat as easily.

I'd definitely consider a true transmission cooler for your load, not just the OEM style one.

Reactions: EKFireman

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good point cintocrunch, it was certainly keeping the tow in gear longer and could be the result of that, RPM's got up there when I was cruising the hills and temp went back to normal when i was not under strain.

Greentraverse, I have not tried other than the very first tow getting the trailer home where there was not a switch installed yet at all. I may load it up this week and drive it around with and without and let the engine cool to see if I can find some consistency. And yes, you are correct, I am talking coolant temp. I have started the process to order and install the HD Radiator.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Good point cintocrunch, it was certainly keeping the tow in gear longer and could be the result of that, RPM's got up there when I was cruising the hills and temp went back to normal when i was not under strain.

Greentraverse, I have not tried other than the very first tow getting the trailer home where there was not a switch installed yet at all. I may load it up this week and drive it around with and without and let the engine cool to see if I can find some consistency. And yes, you are correct, I am talking coolant temp. I have started the process to order and install the HD Radiator.
It sounds like this is the best course of action, you are towing fairly heavy for these vehicles. Since you live in Texas it may not hurt to just give all of the cooling system consumables a replacement while you are doing this.

Reactions: EKFireman

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks all for the advise. I am getting the HD radiator and an aux cooler installed this week before our next trip. I'll update with the details when I have them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Trip went well, dash temp gauge did jump around but not as much as the first trip. Tow / Haul button did not seem to be a factor in temp management, it was all environmental. Trip was in 90 degree heat and rolling hills, when the Traverse got upset with the tow, the gauge moved, when we were flat or cruising around 2K rpm she settled down and went back to 210. I just have to face the fact that the load weight in addition to the height of the trailer creating drag is a bit much for her to drag in Texas heat so... either take it easy in the summer here or get a truck. The interesting thing is that the actual towing with the traverse is extremely smooth. Aside from the temp gauge there is zero indication that the vehicle is struggling with the load or the tow. I have driven those roads many times and the rpm surge up the hills is similar with or without tow. Very impressed with the tow capability it is only the dash temp gauge that gives me concern.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Budging off of 210 is not outside of operating temperatures, especially with the conditions you are towing in. I think you are good to go, just keep and eye on the temps and slow down if you are getting out of the operating temperature range.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts