Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my Traverse LT in December, I wasn't able to find one with the Bose audio system plus the options I wanted, so I settled for the standard 6 speaker system. It sounds fine to me in the driver seat, but my youngest kids who get stuck in the "way back" often complain they can't hear anything because of the lack of speakers in the third row. I had popped off the cover (where the speaker would reside if I got the Bose package) and saw a bracket for a speaker but no wiring harness.

Yesterday I stopped by a local mobile electronics store (Mickey Shorr for those of you in the metro Detroit area) and was told that they could add 4" speakers in the third row and an amp for around $250. I brought the Traverse in today and they discovered that the Boston speakers they had in mind were too big/deep for the existing location, so they recommended going with some Kenwood KFC-1062S 4" speakers that fit the existing brackets perfectly. These speakers didn't require an amplifier, so they just wired into the 2nd row speakers. The cost was $60 for the pair of speakers and about $25 for wiring plus tax totaled $89.78.

I stopped by a Chevy dealer on the way home to order the speaker grilles ($11 each). I wasn't expecting much but I think they sound pretty good and make a huge difference for the back row. My boys are thrilled and can't wait for our next drive. If anyone is interested, I can try to post a picture (if I can figure out how).

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
pics would be nice.

any concern that the extra speakers are overdriving the factory radios output- leading to short life?

·
Registered
407 Posts
This is just what I've been looking for to hear about, someone putting 3rd row speakers in where they aren't. I too have the non-Bose, and would like speakers in the 3rd row. I'm interested in knowing how they work, and if it cuts the volume any, or if there is any distortion. Awesome, awesome post....thanks, this is very interesting, and very helpful. Thanks, also, for putting the brand of speakers...perhaps if I do this, I'll print off your post and take it in.

(so....they tied into the 2nd row speakers?....wonder how easy/hard that would be to do)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've attached some pics (I hope). I didn't notice any degradation/distortion, but admit I am no audiophile. I just ran out to the driveway, sat in the backseat and raised the volume to almost halfway. They were plenty loud in the rear seat while standing still. I was prepared to spend more but for a little over $100, I think it's worth it. I hope to have the speaker grilles installed by the end of next week.

rbarrios - the guys at the audio shop didn't think these speakers would cause any problem for the head unit. Time will tell, I suppose.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics! Please let us know how the new covers fit over the kenwood's.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hard to tell from the pictures, but appears the speaker grilles will not fit over those, they look too big. Hopefully I'm wrong, but l'm a little worried when you get the grilles, they won't fit. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Good going :thumb: I too would like to add speakers to the 3rd row of our OUTLOOK. How did they tie into the 2nd row speakers?

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
09Enclave said:
Hard to tell from the pictures, but appears the speaker grilles will not fit over those, they look too big. Hopefully I'm wrong, but l'm a little worried when you get the grilles, they won't fit. Keep us posted.
Hopefully because the fit the existing bracket "perfectly", the speaker grille will fit over! I don't think that the grille has a lip around it. Rather it just has tabs, like the blank cover that is on there now. So it should work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, so I lied ;D - the added speakers don't "fit perfectly." The bottom of the speaker blocks one of the slots used by a tab on the speaker grille. I had to trim that tab off of the grille to install correctly but it still stays in place. Perhaps a 3 1/2" speaker would be a better way to go, though I'm not sure how they would line up with the screw holes in the bracket.

6Sixathome - I don't know how they tied into the 2nd row speakers since I didn't install them.

BTW, part numbers for my (ebony) speaker grilles were 25865669 and 25877146.

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
Looks good. Keep us posted as to how these sound, perform, etc. Have you tried putting the stereo at full volume to make sure they don't distort? (at full volume, the standard stereo in my Enclave is not too loud, and doesn't distort at all....just wondering if adding these speakers will either cut the volume, and/or cause distortion from the rear speakers?) I would sit in the third row, and have someone else turn the volume up slowly and see if at any point they sound stressed, or sound distorted.....hopefully, being kenwood, they should be able to handle what the factory deck puts out.

Again...really appreciate this thread....very helpful.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for information. I was looking to add speakers and I was not sure it will fit or not. I have a feeling that cabling is already there.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
oh wow- look at that...
not sure how I missed the pics in this post.
for anyone wondering- the protective grilles are $6.42 each at gmpartsdirect.

·
Registered
27 Posts
traverse10 said:
Thanks for information. I was looking to add speakers and I was not sure it will fit or not. I have a feeling that cabling is already there.

Thanks again.
I would be interested to know as well...

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
I Just bought a pair of those speakers on ebay... $35.
I also just ordered the grille plates....

Soon ill dig into this install..

Yes-- people in the 3rd row cant hear the radio...and if you turn it up-- the people in the front say its too loud.

·
Registered
571 Posts
So did the LT1's not have the Bose 10 speaker system? I figured they all did. Also, does anyone with an LT2 have a power outlet inside the center storage? I have 1 in IP, one by the temp and radio control for the 2nd row to access and one behind the third row drivers side. I always thought there was supposed to be one inside the center storage between the two front seats.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
my LT1- does not have Bose. standard radio.

I believe that center outlet was decontended along the line..
early Acadias/Enclaves have them- then they were removed..
I think they may have recently been put back?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'd have no problems installing speakers and new grilles, but not a fan of I have to start cutting harnesses.. Looking forward to the breakdown rbarrios!

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
my neighbor came by on sunday and told me hed bring the grilles home from the dealer.
So theyve arrived (from Michigan I think)-- but dont have the grilles in hand.
The speakers Ive had for a couple of weeks now.

Next step is to buy the speaker wire and stuff.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
The speaker grilles are in. $17.36

1 - 20 of 27 Posts