Traverse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In December 2010 I purchased 2011 Traverse, at the time I never gave much thought to the value of having the bluetooth feature but I now realize the mistake that I made.

I have been searching the web for information on this retrofit without much success. My sense is that all that is required is to purchase a BT antenna and install it - logic would have it that all onStar boxes carry the same software and only those features which are specified at the time of manufacturing are activated through provisioning of the appropriate hardware (BT antenna, remote start function, etc). I have to talked to the dealer but they have no clue about how this and are telling me that GM will not talk them about it.

I have located the onStar module but like most things inside this vehicle it is stuffed in a very tight spot and I don't want to remove it without first knowing if adding the antenna will do the trick ...

Has anyone gone through a similar experience and successfully done a retrofit, or have any knowledge/information on whether or not the VCIMs (onStar module) boxes that being installed in the 2011 models are fully featured and just waiting for activation?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,779 Posts
The bluethooth is not part of the onstar system. It has it's own module and as far as I know it can not be added after the fact.

It is much simpler ti just add an aftermarket BT device. I installed a parrot MKi9100 kit which also allows for my ipod to connect and the functionality is much better than the factory bluetooth.

There is also and aftermarket quick connect cables that can be purchased. HFVT HF-GM-TH3-AMK for non amplified systems and HFVT HF-GM-AMP-1 Adapter for Parrot Hands free Car Kits (GM, Select Vehicles with Bose)

You do need to bring in a hot switched power feed from under the hood as they internal system uses a lanbus system and cutting into it usually causes issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BigBlueTraverse said:
The bluethooth is not part of the onstar system. It has it's own module and as far as I know it can not be added after the fact.

It is much simpler ti just add an aftermarket BT device. I installed a parrot MKi9100 kit which also allows for my ipod to connect and the functionality is much better than the factory bluetooth.

There is also and aftermarket quick connect cables that can be purchased. HFVT HF-GM-TH3-AMK for non amplified systems and HFVT HF-GM-AMP-1 Adapter for Parrot Hands free Car Kits (GM, Select Vehicles with Bose)

You do need to bring in a hot switched power feed from under the hood as they internal system uses a lanbus system and cutting into it usually causes issues.
Are you able to use the phone buttons on the steering wheel - does it mute the radio when a call is answered or made, and if so what affect does it have to the onStar functions
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AA/78U said:
There is a lot of info about this add on; the Acadia forum has quite a bit since some members with early year models wanted Bluetooth after it was introduced in 09. Also gm-trucks.com has some other info concerning this
Thanks for your reply ... I think the solutions for the early models is different than mine - they are replacing their old VCIMs with salvaged ones that are known to have BT optioned, my issue is that I don't know if the my VCIM is optioned for BT. What I am hoping to find is someone who has 2011 which did not purchase it with BT but was able to activate it through the addition of the BT antenna - or put another way, are the 2011 VCIM preprogrammed to provide BT and activation occurs on a plug n play basis when the antenna is installed.
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Leonel said:
Thanks for your reply ... I think the solutions for the early models is different than mine - they are replacing their old VCIMs with salvaged ones that are known to have BT optioned, my issue is that I don't know if the my VCIM is optioned for BT. What I am hoping to find is someone who has 2011 which did not purchase it with BT but was able to activate it through the addition of the BT antenna - or put another way, are the 2011 VCIM preprogrammed to provide BT and activation occurs on a plug n play basis when the antenna is installed.
Interesting thought; let's see if someone can provide info on this
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I consulted a member from the Acadia forum that did some Bluetooth mods and he said to take a look at the VCIM. If it has Bluetooth; it should have three posts (GPS, phone and Bluetooth) and there should also be a Bluetooth symbol on the VCIM itself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AA/78U said:
I consulted a member from the Acadia forum that did some Bluetooth mods and he said to take a look at the VCIM. If it has Bluetooth; it should have three posts (GPS, phone and Bluetooth) and there should also be a Bluetooth symbol on the VCIM itself.
Thank you! That is good information, I will take a look.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
i'm in the same boat, but the on star module located on on the driver side rear panel, pops right off. its only held on with plastic clips.once removed you can check the onstar module for a bluetooth symbol ,mine does not have a blue tooth symbol. but still researching with my dealer for possible upgrade.
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
reyh said:
i'm in the same boat, but the on star module located on on the driver side rear panel, pops right off. its only held on with plastic clips.once removed you can check the onstar module for a bluetooth symbol ,mine does not have a blue tooth symbol. but still researching with my dealer for possible upgrade.
Let us know what your dealer comes up with; from past readings you would need a VCIM with Bluetooth and it seems they are hard to get a hold of :-\
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
a local electronics store (PC Richards and Son ), was offering Onstar with blue tooth for 199.95. It had the mirror with the needed buttons. It also offered iinstallation .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
AA/78U said:
I consulted a member from the Acadia forum that did some Bluetooth mods and he said to take a look at the VCIM. If it has Bluetooth; it should have three posts (GPS, phone and Bluetooth) and there should also be a Bluetooth symbol on the VCIM itself.
AA/78U,

What do you mean by, "Three posts (GPS, phone, and Bluetooth)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Sniper326 said:
AA/78U,

What do you mean by, "Three posts (GPS, phone, and Bluetooth)?
I believe he's referring to physical connection posts on the OnStar module itself where cables are connected. He is not referring to posts on the forum, if that is your confusion.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top