Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might not get to this for a bit, but I wanted folks to know this is coming, and my thoughts on how to do it correctly.

I'll be doing it on a 2020 LT3, with the factory tow package. Other models should be similar....

Stay tuned......

·
Registered
292 Posts
Not to burst your bubble, but do you plan on cutting the trans line in your pic and putting the filter in-place? I believe those lines are relatively higher pressure and the only way I can see you getting this to mount is some fuel line and hose clamps and you might be introducing a leak. Not sure as I've never seen this done. Maybe someone else can chime in?

·
Registered
174 Posts
And if they leak, it's easy to identify and replace/correct.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only thing holding the cooler hard line in place....is this tiny wire "E" clip... I'm guessing there's about 5 psi in the cooler circuit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does the filter have a bypass if it gets clogged?

Does it void any warranty?

I have only used them in the past after transmission replacement and potential dirt or parts in cooler and lines.

I don't drive them like I used to.

I will keep mine stock.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does the filter have a bypass if it gets clogged? Yes, if the filter ever causes a restriction, it will bypass the filter portion. The magnet will remain active.

Does it void any warranty? Yes and No. The dealer has to prove the modification caused the issue. The burden of proof is on them.

I have only used them in the past after transmission replacement and potential dirt or parts in cooler and lines. Yup. Smart move.

I will keep mine stock. I would too, except there is no way to service the internal filter. Once that starts to bypass and trash starts circulating in the fluid, its over. I currently have 3 work vehicles over 300k miles and 1 at 275k.All are on their original Transmissions and T/C's . I tend to hold onto my stuff longer than others do. If this was a 4 year deal, to trade in on something else, I wouldn't bother with this mod.
This is the engine compartment on my 325k mile Duramax. Looks showroon new, like the Traverse. Look at about the 3 0'clock position and you can see the Magnafine filter installed in the Hydroboost system. NEVER one issue with it, in all those miles. I take good care of my stuff.

·
Registered
154 Posts
No passenger vehicles have transmission filters that need to be changed other than when transmission repairs are done. Adding a second filter adds nothing to the life of the transmission and may reduce pressure in the line which could cause damage.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Montereyjack2$--I hate to disagree with you--but I do! A filter can save a transmission from needing extensive repairs if it is accessible externally and is changed periodically. The analogy of your statement is that an engine oil filter is not required to be changed other than when engine repairs are done. I suggest that change interval is locking the barn after the horse has escaped. Just my thought!

Reactions: Ed999 and AlisoBob

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
.... reduce pressure in the line which could cause damage.
The cooler circuit is fluid from the converter draining back to the pan. There is no pressure and the fluid controls no functions. Your ignorance on automatic transmissions is shining brightly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey AlisoBob,
Are you planning to put any kind of flair on the hard line or will some good quality clamps hold her in place?

·
Registered
30 Posts
The only thing holding the cooler hard line in place....is this tiny wire "E" clip... I'm guessing there's about 5 psi in the cooler circuit.
View attachment 9278
The pressure is probably 10-15psi, similar to cooling systems. Pressure is a matter of volume and restriction. Only a minimal amount of restriction in the cooler. Rather, the slowing and creation of multiple paths in the cooler to increase surface area and contact time to allow for cooling. Does Raybestos give the pressure drop across the filter?

Which line will you be using, feed or return from the cooler?

The hard line has flare on it, which is secured by the clip, and there is an o-ring inside providing the sealing. I learned that any force on the line that would cause it to be pushed off-center could cause it to leak. I had a chevy van and a mechanic installed a battery incorrectly. The battery cable was pressed up against the line. It took a few weeks to begin leaking. Went back and he said I need a new line and radiator for $500.. I fixed it myself and found a new shop to give my business.

I have 120K on my transmission and have considered doing this for the past few months.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm doing a flare.
Hey again AlisoBob,
Did some temp readings on my transmission cooler lines this morning after a 35 minute drive into work. The upper line was approx ten degrees cooler than the lower line, 130's vs 140's. The upper line being the inbound line and the lower line going back to the transmission, I'm guessing the reason for the cooler temps going into the radiator is the coolant being much warmer than the inbound trans fluid and heating the trans fluid before heading back to the transmission. This sound reasonable?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey again AlisoBob,
Did some temp readings on my transmission cooler lines this morning after a 35 minute drive into work. The upper line was approx ten degrees cooler than the lower line, 130's vs 140's. The upper line being the inbound line and the lower line going back to the transmission, I'm guessing the reason for the cooler temps going into the radiator is the coolant being much warmer than the inbound trans fluid and heating the trans fluid before heading back to the transmission. This sound reasonable?
Sounds reasonable. The same concept works in cold weather to help heat up the transmission fluid using the engine coolant. A basic heat exchanger. My coolant/transmission temps run about 190F/160F for normal highway driving. If I am running in 5th gear it will get up to 175F and really hot days it will equalize with the coolant temps.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I cut the hardline on my 2020, I'll start it with the holes open and find out the definitive answer as to which way the fluid is flowing....

·
Registered
174 Posts
Time for cooler flush and filter install. Couple iterations of trans fluid change as well, but I certainly wouldn't flush the trans and loosen that stuff for redeposition somewhere else.

Reactions: cintocrunch

·
Registered
52 Posts
Still in process of installing transmission cooler and engine cooler in my '19 and discovered something interesting - hot ATF flows out of the transmission and into the lower connection on the radiator and the "cooled" ATF flows out of the upper radiator connection and heads back to the transmission. Just a little FYI...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Still in process of installing transmission cooler and engine cooler in my '19 and discovered something interesting - hot ATF flows out of the transmission and into the lower connection on the radiator and the "cooled" ATF flows out of the upper radiator connection and heads back to the transmission. Just a little FYI...
Good piece of information for those who are adding an external trans cooler. Putting new cooler in proper sequence can benefit the final temps.

Reactions: Ed999
1 - 20 of 25 Posts