Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of us that have a factory Nav unit don't real have a usable compass on the DIC or Mirror as far as I know. The compass on our nav equipped Traverse shows up in the upper left hand corner of the nav map, and is a little pointer with a red tip which points to the top (North) or other areas depending which way you are traveling. There are no compass points or letters (N,S,E,W) to tell at a quick glance which way you are going. If we have the radio on and the display not showing 50/50 (Nav and radio) we have no compass at all.

There have been many comments on these boards about what a poor option this is. Well, I did some checking around on these boards and other automotive forums and found a very simple fix! It took less than 10 minutes to install and calibrate, and its something which should have been included to begin with. I purchased from a salvage yard a factory mirror which has the compass and switched it out with the non-compass mirror in our Traverse.

The mirror I purchased for $26.11 from LKQ on eBay was a Gentex 511 model. This is the factory mirror with OnStar, Auto Dim, and the compass. After using a Torx bit (T-20) to remove and unplug the old mirror, the replacement was a direct plug in. I called OnStar to verify that everything worked and sounded OK, because the replacement mirror had a built in microphone on the bottom, whereas there is a microphone on the overhead console of our Traverse. The operator said everything sounded 100%, and I was able to use all controls on the mirror and the steering wheel.

During my search for a replacement mirror, Gentex 261 seemed like a possibility also, but there were some differences including the type of mount used. The Gentex 511 was identical. There were many choices of mirror options, including with or without OnStar, compass, compass and temperature display, and OnStar display buttons which were a little bit different (phone symbol versus just a white dot). From what I read, if I got dual display temp/compass, the temperature display would work also if you added a sensor under the hood and run two wires to the mirror.

I have tried adding several pictures to show the mirrors and the install, but don't know if they will post.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
pretty neat mod.

though I noticed- your dimming sensor is located on the top.
I dont have NAV radio- but my dimming sensor is built into the mirror- next to the onstar button I think...

Oh wait-- I think I know why--- I have the mirror with the backup camera-- thats prob why they moved it.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Great mod for sure, and thanks for purchasing from LKQ ( I used to work for the local LKQ here in Topeka ).

I did pretty much the same thing to my Grand Prix. We had an '02 Grand Prix GTP with the auto-dimming rear view mirror, and OnStar etc. Well the brand new '07 Grand Prix GXP did NOT have the auto dimming mirror option ( stupid ). So, I went to work ( I worked there then) and picked one out of the bin from a Silverado, and mounted her up. Of course, I had to do a little re-wiring, as the auto dim feature wasn't wired on the newer grand prix's, so I had to run a wire from the dome lamp to power the auto dim feature.

All of this found from a board very similar to this. Oh how I love automotive forums.

Great job again :thumb:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found much of the information at the Pontiac G-8 forum. They were replacing their factory mirrors which did not have the auto dim feature. None of them had to run any wires because power was already at the mirror harness.

Like I mentioned this is an easy mod because it is plug and play. If I wanted to put a temp display on the mirror, that would not be that hard to do. Only two wires would have to be run and a sensor placed under the hood. A salvage OEM mirror with compass and temp is about the same price as with just the compass.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
ls973800 said:
I found much of the information at the Pontiac G-8 forum. They were replacing their factory mirrors which did not have the auto dim feature. None of them had to run any wires because power was already at the mirror harness.
Of course, I am biased... but I have always been able to find absolutely anything I've ever wanted to know about my Grand Prix's on certain Pontiac boards. Great people, as there are here. I can only hope that those on Pontiac boards, are moving to boards like this, since Pontiac went the way of the Dodo.

Thanks for sharing the info. as I'm sure it will be usefull in the future. Maybe we could get a moderator to make post like this a sticky, so that simple, almost free modifications can be easilly found. ;D

A

·
0 Posts
GXPWeasel said:
Thanks for sharing the info. as I'm sure it will be usefull in the future. Maybe we could get a moderator to make post like this a sticky, so that simple, almost free modifications can be easilly found. ;D
Done :thumb:

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

You're the man.

Hey, on a side note. I am a member of some forums that have a "Thank You" button when you make a post. These thank you's then show up as statistics on that users info. Is there any way we could get something like that added? Just for giggles. ???

·
Registered
551 Posts
Good job :thumb: I am going to have to look into this. It drives me crazy that I dont have a compass, I can not believe GM would allow this! I dont keep the nav on, it is normally on the radio so I dont have a compass. I have to look into this for sure.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I, too, have struggled with the GM nav compass -- practically useless. I bought a Gentex GNTX-511 from eBay (glass is broken, but that is another story). I notice that there is no small "window" in the upper right corner of the mirror where I expected one for the compass display. Can this mirror have a compass if I cannot see a "window?" Is GNTX-511 to correct part number? I see another number, which is 025898. Might there be different versions of the GNTX-511? Any help would be appriciated as this is a great mod.

Les Young

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, Gentex 511 is the mirror you want to get. If you don't see the window in the upper right hand portion of the mirror, it does not have the compass.

Here is a link I posted on I believe the Enclave forum yesterday when I answered some questions about the install. This link is for eBay and what they have now.

http://desc.shop.ebay.com/i.html?LH_TitleDesc=1&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A4026&rt=nc&_nkw=gentex+511&_dmpt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=10&_sc=1

You might want to check the post from yesterday on the Enclave board because I also mentioned what else to look for when getting a salvage mirror. I don't know what the other number is that you mentioned.

A

·
0 Posts
GXPWeasel said:
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

You're the man.

Hey, on a side note. I am a member of some forums that have a "Thank You" button when you make a post. These thank you's then show up as statistics on that users info. Is there any way we could get something like that added? Just for giggles. ???
I will pass this request to admin

·
Registered
426 Posts
re: thumbs up button - This forum does have a rating system where you can rate each thread on a 1-5 star basis depending on how useful you think the information in the posts are. Would the thumbs up system you're talking about be significantly different than that? I can look at the SMF mods site and see if there's something like that. I do know that SMF has a built in "karma" feature that I've never enabled, but I assume it would allow members to give "props" or karma to others for useful/quality posts. Is that what you have in mind?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nice! If im not mistaken the temp and compass are in the DIC(gauge clouster) But this is much better. The traverse already has a temp sensor so it would be interesting to know if there might be an easier way.

·
Registered
71 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went on the internet and found a GNTX-511 mirror that was taken from a wreaked out 2011 Chevy HHR and put it right in, the mirror was $45.00 and was a perfect fit with all the Onstar buttons, auto dimming and the compass. Best upgrade so far. I have a 2011 LTZ in the white diamond tricoat. I love this vehicle and it has all the features that you could ever want, with n exception, auto folding mirrors, maybe that's a mod for a letter date. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
Clawman said:
I went on the internet and found a GNTX-511 mirror that was taken from a wreaked out 2011 Chevy HHR and put it right in, the mirror was $45.00 and was a perfect fit with all the Onstar buttons, auto dimming and the compass. Best upgrade so far. I have a 2011 LTZ in the white diamond tricoat. I love this vehicle and it has all the features that you could ever want, with n exception, auto folding mirrors, maybe that's a mod for a letter date. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
It appears you have an early build 2011 LTZ- if you didnt get the folding mirrors

1 - 20 of 41 Posts