Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a used 2010 Traverse. I was surprised that it did not have XM already since it is a standard option. I found the original sticker from the dealership in the car and it shows a delete option on both the XM and Onstar. Can I purchase just the XM module and add it? What I read said as long as the stereo had the CAT button it supports XM but I'm just not totally sure about the antenna and all? Any ideas? I found a used XM module from a junk yard from a totalled Traverse and they only want like $60 for it.

A

·
0 Posts
You would need the module for sure; you might get lucky and all the other associated wiring might be installed. You mentioned it was an XM delete which could mean two things--either XM was fully installed at the factory and the XM module was removed or XM was never installed which means you would need more than just the module to make it work

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
is the vehicle brand new?

XM and Onstar delete are usually for rental companies.

·
Registered
417 Posts
XM/Onstar delete is an option that any dealer can order. It removes much more than just the XM module though. So installing would not be easy.

Personally, I'd look into aftermarket radios first. Many of them today have XM/Sirius built into them, and will install into the dash much easier than trying to add the GM stuff back in. The reason is the XM module is in the back of the Traverse, so you'd need the wires and have to RUN the wires, plus antenna considerations, other power issues etc etc. Try aftermarket...

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
reread your post...
you said its a used 2010..
so its most likely a vehicle that was fleet. most likely a previous rental.
Rentals end up at dealers with about 20-26,000 miles usually. but not always.
If you post your VIN-- someone can run it- and we may learn who it came from.
(I think Ive seen some VINs reveal WHO it went to rental company that is)

you should have the code U2J XM radio delete. this also must include Onstar Delete- code UE0

i see that it says- UE0- Onstar, Delete available on the LS and LT with a 1 next to it..
this 1- means... Requires FLEET or Government Type orders only. Whenever selected (U2J) must include the delete (U2K) XM radio.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah it was a rental car originally, I already knew that. And yeah thats why the XM and Onstar were deletes on the order. Can anyone tell me where the XM module goes so I can look and see if the wiring harness is there? It looks like it has the antenna that has the XM antenna built in. Im hoping having that and the radio that supports it, that maybe its just a simple adding of the module. Here is the VIN if any body is interesting in helping: 1GNLREE07AS110259. I am eventually wanting to put one of the Rosen (I think thats the brand) head units in and it also uses the factory xm module. I want to remain looking stock, thats why I don't want to get an aftermarket headunit.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
Left rear panel. where the jack is located.
theres a box in there.
I believe thats the XM module.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Wow, how much do rental fleets save by deleting these two awesome options? It seems they could recoup a lot of the up-front cost at resale if they left them on.

Plus, OnStar is the ultimate "where is my car right now?" anti-theft device that it seems rental fleets would want.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the pics, I'll see what I can find.

Yeah they didnt save much with the deletes. I think it was like $280 total. If I remember correctly, I think the Xm was like $80 or something, but yet they want like $250 to buy it now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I looked and as expected the module was not there, but the bad thing was that I only saw a single connector hanging there and it only had 4 wires and I don't think it would have reached the module anyways. I tried pulling down the head liner a little to see if I could see anything from the antenna. I see a two wire connector laying right about where the antenna comes in. I'm assuming this is probably the antenna wires for XM which means that none of the wiring for XM is there. Any one know if I would even be able to get a hold of the wiring harnesses?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm in the exact same situation but with a 2009 chevy cobalt lt I purchased this morning. It was a rental as well. I've been doing research, and called GM. They said it was impossible to do, and it's a factory only deal. I still just can't believe it.

I don't know if the dealership will be much help either. I think the head unit will work, but a Module and an antenna is needed for me. Running those wires isn't going to be fun though....

Any thoughts on what you're going to do?

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you have an iPhone or iPod touch, you might like to consider what I did for our Motorhome and get an XM Skydock (about $90 +subscription). It plugs into the 12v socket and, apart from being the XM receiver, forms a cradle for the iPod. A free app turns the iPod into the tuner. Audio is fed into the aux input of the radio and you can of course use the dock to play your own iPod library of tunes. If you use an iPhone, you can also play internet radio and Pandora. The only thing you have to do is run the wire for the small antenna - I just placed it on the side of the dash by the wind shield. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
insul1n said:
Well I looked and as expected the module was not there, but the bad thing was that I only saw a single connector hanging there and it only had 4 wires and I don't think it would have reached the module anyways. I tried pulling down the head liner a little to see if I could see anything from the antenna. I see a two wire connector laying right about where the antenna comes in. I'm assuming this is probably the antenna wires for XM which means that none of the wiring for XM is there. Any one know if I would even be able to get a hold of the wiring harnesses?
insul1n, I am in the same boat as you. I recently puchased a used 2010 Traverse with the XM Delete "option". I am currently using the SkyDock mentioned above, but I find it a bit cumbersome to use and it squeaks a lot when going over bumps and such. I am getting ready to install a Pioneer AVIC-X920BT along with the corresponding XM tuner (GEM-P920XM) that works with this head unit. I would love to be able to use the existing factory XM antenna instead of having another XM antenna on the roof. Does the connector you saw look like it would work with this - http://www.myradiostore.com/antennas-cables/for-cables-miscellaneous/gm-dual.html? How far were you able to get the headliner down and how did you do it? I certainly don't want to mess up the headliner getting to the connector you saw, especially if I won't be able to find anything that actually connects to it. If I can't use the factory XM antenna its not a deal-breaker. FYI, I plan to install the XM tuner module in the compartment in the rear where the factory GM box would be. I just have to figure out how to secure it.

A

·
0 Posts
pnrmurph said:
I plan to install the XM tuner module in the compartment in the rear where the factory GM box would be. I just have to figure out how to secure it.
Good luck getting that tuner mounted; I have heard it can be a PITA

·
Registered
3 Posts
auwesome said:
I'm in the exact same situation but with a 2009 chevy cobalt lt I purchased this morning. It was a rental as well. I've been doing research, and called GM. They said it was impossible to do, and it's a factory only deal. I still just can't believe it.

I don't know if the dealership will be much help either. I think the head unit will work, but a Module and an antenna is needed for me. Running those wires isn't going to be fun though....

Any thoughts on what you're going to do?

Good News Everyone! I successfully installed XM on my Factory Radio with the following device:

http://replacementradios.com/product_info.php?products_id=1095

The kit is made for a Cobalt, but that website has kits for plenty of vehicles. I'm sure the Traverse is one of them.

If you decide to go this route, let me tell you upfront you might have to call up the PAC-AUDIO company and request an older version of the firmware for the interface module. Without the older version of the firmware, the head unit won't display text properly. It's not that bad to update the firmware either, you just use a miniUSB to USB cable.

The new interface modules are created for vehicles that have a factory tuner installed, so that's why the old firmware is needed.

This one appears to be made for the 2009 and 2010 Traverse: http://replacementradios.com/product_info.php?cPath=403_406&products_id=1094

It is a Sirius Tuner and Antenna. So you'll be receiving Sirius service. And if you're wanting to use the factory antenna, there might be some more work. I don't know if it will work right out of the box. Maybe there is a XM antenna converter for a Sirius tuner?

Anywho, this seems to be a reasonable option. Hope this helps someone.

you can contact me at [email protected] if you have any questions, because I probably won't frequent this forum anymore.

Peace out! Good Luck!

A

·
0 Posts
auwesome said:
It is a Sirius Tuner and Antenna. So you'll be receiving Sirius service. And if you're wanting to use the factory antenna, there might be some more work. I don't know if it will work right out of the box. Maybe there is a XM antenna converter for a Sirius tuner?
This package will allow you to listen to and control all 150+ channels of Sirius satellite radio directly through your factory radio. (See the application list below.) It is also capable of receiving the Best of XM programming. (Additional subscription fees may apply.)

A

·
0 Posts
Apparently XM and Sirius are the same, but they still have their own equipment. Luckily if you have XM you can also get Sirius programming for a nominal extra fee. Not sure why they merged since they retain their own tuners and programming; I would have thought everything would have been standardized, but it appears that isn't the case.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
auwesome said:
I'm still a little fuzzy on the Sirius/XM merger. Are they the same channels now but different numbering schemes?
yes merged.
when I had XM for the free 3 month (and free for a few days last week)--
I compared a few channels. (with my Sirius mobile unit).

they do share some stations--- I can tune into the XM 80's type music--- then switch to the Sirius--- and its the same thing- the sirius is a few seconds delayed.

so they do share channels...

they did consolidate some stations... no need to have 2 80's stations for example..
They have invested heavily in their equipment-- and are different enough- that they are not compatible (receivers).
from the satellites- to the way they scramble the data.
so they are keeping the equipment.. (maybe in the future youll have an aftermarket radio that can tune both)....

But on XM if you want some stuff from sirius- you have to pay extra...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts