Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 LT1 Traverse. Wife likes it except would really like the power rear lift gate. Is it possible to add this after purchase? Anyone know how much it'd cost? I know power lift gate button would be on the key chain, is there also a button on the dash?

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
551 Posts
I am sure anything can be done, but I imagine it would be hard and costly. There is a button on the key fob, on the dash, and on the rear lift gate itself. Maybe someone can shed some light on what it would cost or maybe there is an aftermarket option?

EDIT: I did a quick search of GMpartsdirect and didn't see a "kit" or anything. You might be able to buy the separate parts. Like I said maybe someone else will know more. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,174 Posts
This topic has been discussed before, but it's been a while. You might try a search under the Tech section, and see what info. there is there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,662 Posts
Jaywill,

I have read your post about wanting to add the power lift gate to your 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. I highly recommend contacting your local Chevrolet dealership about the information that you are seeking. The reason that I am suggesting this, is due to the fact that some options that are put on the vehicle, aftermarket, may effect your warranty. The dealership will be able to let you know how adding this option, if it is able to be done, will effect your warranty.

Sincerely,
Michelle P., Chevrolet Customer Service
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
551 Posts
this is copied from another thread about a powerlift gate. this member asked their dealer about adding the liftgate.

"I went to dealer yesterday about feasability of adding the power liftgate to my 1lt...the service manager said he had no such previous requests, but said it would be next to impossible....he said the wiring harnesses are VIN specific, and besides that, so are the ECM's, so a reflash wouldn't suffice, i'd probably need a whole new ECM, plus the liftgate parts, plus the interior switch, plus the better keyfobs, even if it could be cut into the harness.....and even if it could be done, which probably I can't handle myself (i'm handy, but i'm not a computer programmer!!!) , he sait it would most likely void my warranty, as it would not be considered original equipment and a vehicle alteration.....way too much hassle for me.....he even suggested trading it in for a 2lt or an LTZ-knowing that i've only had it three weeks! what an idiot...."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
Sorry to be blunt here, but why do people buy a vehicle without all the equipment they want? I scratch my head all the time at posts like this. It's not like there's no information on available options on websites, brochures, etc. Next time, research ALL the options, and pick one that has what you want, OR order it, like we did, to get only the options you really desire.

EDIT:.....and here's yet another thread about adding equipment to a model that didn't have it:

http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=1025.0
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,224 Posts
even the interior panel is different.
it has a big bump from what I remember.
It obviously houses the motor and mechanicals to raise the tailgate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
551 Posts
09Enclave said:
Sorry to be blunt here, but why do people buy a vehicle without all the equipment they want? I scratch my head all the time at posts like this. It's not like there's no information on available options on websites, brochures, etc. Next time, research ALL the options, and pick one that has what you want, OR order it, like we did, to get only the options you really desire.

EDIT:.....and here's yet another thread about adding equipment to a model that didn't have it:

http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=1025.0
I think it is pretty obvious why people buy cars that are not fully loaded or do not have the options they would ideally like to have..... MONEY. Plus, a power lift gate is only available in a 2LT or LTZ. If you have an LS the price jump to an LTZ would be significant, when maybe you only want the power lift. Lastly most people start to look for cars when their lease is about to expire, or their current car is on the fritz and do not have the time to wait for an order car.

Not sure why you had to scratch your head over posts like this. On ANY car forum you are going to have people that want to add an option that was available but they did not get for one reason or another.

We personally got an LTZ because we wanted every option. But I recently leased a third car and my model (SE on a ford) did not come with an outside temp reading, you had to have an SEL. Call me crazy, but I looked into trying to add this option to my car.... Moreover, I am not even sure if I wanted to order the car I could order an SE with options from the SEL.

In this particular case I don't think it is feasible to add a power lift gate, however I do understand why the OP would want to find out. Personally I would like to see this forum grow and grow... not sure making a new member feel like they asked a dumb question is a good way to keep people. My opinion anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
09Enclave said:
Sorry to be blunt here, but why do people buy a vehicle without all the equipment they want? I scratch my head all the time at posts like this. It's not like there's no information on available options on websites, brochures, etc. Next time, research ALL the options, and pick one that has what you want, OR order it, like we did, to get only the options you really desire.

EDIT:.....and here's yet another thread about adding equipment to a model that didn't have it:
09Enclave :banghead: Ugh....thanks for the HELPFUL post, I'll tell you why....it's exactly what Tiestosteele said. :thumb:

Money and the cost to jump up to an entire new trim line. When we purchased the LT1 we didn't feel the cost warranted the jump to LT2 or LTZ. I DID all my research and YES I knew exactly the options I was getting and going without. At the time I didn't feel like it was a big deal to not have a power lift gate, now as my daughter is getting older (more junk to haul around) and we recently found out we have a new one on the way we realize we'd like to have it added, if was fairly cheap and easy to do. Apparently it is not according the the nice folks who helped answer my questions instead being critical of me.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
2,040 Posts
I can give you another example...rearview camera. We opted against it (we ordered our Traverse) because we were paying cash, and $800 for a backup camera seemed a bit steep.

Now that we have owned our Traverse for a year, the following has come up, which I guess I didn't put much thought too:

1. We bought a trailer to go camping. Hooking up by myself would be easier if I had a camera, but I can also leave the hatch open and see just the same
2. Daughter is now running around outside with the nicer weather. I am always VERY cautious to backup in our driveway. I know I always check were the kids are when I get in, but having the backup camera would take away any worry. The backup sensors work pretty good though, but when it comes to kids, you can't be safe enough.

Would I trade in my Traverse for not having the camera? NO WAY. But IF I were to re-order, I would add the backup camera. Hind sight is 20-20.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
rbarrios said:
even the interior panel is different.
it has a big bump from what I remember.
It obviously houses the motor and mechanicals to raise the tailgate.
Yeah, I think you are right, I remember seeing a non power tailgate sometime back and it looked different than mine. It would be a lot of parts to get, but I'm sure with some part catalogs (or online part diagrams) there would be a way to pinpoint what parts are needed. However, the dealerships are never helpful in trying to fit vehicles with options they didn't come with, too much "work" for them.

It's so interesting when I post here, vs. the Enclave forum, that I get shot down right away when I make a comment that's not in agreement with everyone. (kind of why I've not been on this forum for a while, it's just odd that with how similar the vehicles are, the audience for the individual Lambda forums is way different (except for the few members who are on all of them). Sorry if I offended anyone, but I can see I need to be much more careful what I say here, vs. over there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
jaywill said:
09Enclave :banghead: Ugh....thanks for the HELPFUL post, I'll tell you why....it's exactly what Tiestosteele said. :thumb:

Money and the cost to jump up to an entire new trim line. When we purchased the LT1 we didn't feel the cost warranted the jump to LT2 or LTZ. I DID all my research and YES I knew exactly the options I was getting and going without. At the time I didn't feel like it was a big deal to not have a power lift gate, now as my daughter is getting older (more junk to haul around) and we recently found out we have a new one on the way we realize we'd like to have it added, if was fairly cheap and easy to do. Apparently it is not according the the nice folks who helped answer my questions instead being critical of me.
OK, I can see I didn't come across like I intended, so I'll try again: I had to go research this, and it looks like they changed the way the options are. Seems like you used to be able to get the power liftgate as a separate option, without jumping up to the next trim. Why do they do this? Not sure (well, of course to get more cash from people who need the power gate). I really wish options like the gate, and remote start would be stand alone. They sometimes don't make it easy to option out a vehicle just like you want. So that being said, I'm sorry I didn't realize Chevy changed the options for 2011, I check on things pretty often, but sometimes I miss changes that slip by, and the power liftgate is one I was unaware changed. Thanks for setting me straight! I still think there would be a way to put the power gate on, but unfortunately, if GM won't do it, and won't warranty it...I would think it's best if you don't do it. However, once the vehicle is out of factory warranty, you might want to revisit this. Also, there might be aftermarket companies that could come out with something to retro fit your vehicle with the power gate, just give it time...I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up sometime soon. Here's a good website for GM parts that show breakdowns for the certain items that you need. However, the power gate doesn't seem to have many items shown, and prices are not there for all the items in the rear tailgate. BUT, here's the website anyway, hopefully it will be of use to you, or anyone else that may need a part:

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/

BTW, your question was not a dumb one, but I kind of knew what the dealer would tell you, so I felt bad they didn't help you better when you purchased to make sure you knew you couldn't add items like the power gate, or at least couldn't add it without extensive work, and possible warranty issues.

If you get any different answers from your dealership, keep us posted. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
Quantum said:
I can give you another example...rearview camera. We opted against it (we ordered our Traverse) because we were paying cash, and $800 for a backup camera seemed a bit steep.

Now that we have owned our Traverse for a year, the following has come up, which I guess I didn't put much thought too:

1. We bought a trailer to go camping. Hooking up by myself would be easier if I had a camera, but I can also leave the hatch open and see just the same
2. Daughter is now running around outside with the nicer weather. I am always VERY cautious to backup in our driveway. I know I always check were the kids are when I get in, but having the backup camera would take away any worry. The backup sensors work pretty good though, but when it comes to kids, you can't be safe enough.

Would I trade in my Traverse for not having the camera? NO WAY. But IF I were to re-order, I would add the backup camera. Hind sight is 20-20.
That's one option I didn't want, but it came in the package that had remote start, which we wanted, so I have it. Now that I do, I see the value in it. Backing out at my daughter's preschool is a great place to use it, I have peace of mind no kids are behind me. Still go very slow, but that...and the back up sensors (also something I wouldn't get, but came in the package), keep tabs on what's behind me.

This I believe is something the aftermarkets have, check around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
hey everyone...great thread. Tiesto - I was the one you were quoting way back originally who asked the dealer about the feasibility of adding the power liftgate. It's forgotten about by us now, for all the reasons all of you have listed. Now, my $.02 about buying a vehicle w/o everything we all want, or need. Yes, of course I would LOVE to have gotten a full-boat LTZ, but I was not in a financial situation to drop the extra $8k over and above the sticker price of what I paid. Also, not to offend any of the fairer sex, but when the wife "falls in love" with the right car, color and all, a power liftgate is not going to make or break the deal. Getting a great deal on a great car was paramount, and at the right time. And even though she LOVES the Trav, she covets an Enclave, and that's without ever even seeing how nice the interior is. But overall, after 12k miles, I'd say we're satisfied. A few little problems, but satisfied.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
551 Posts
staciesbaby said:
And even though she LOVES the Trav, she covets an Enclave, and that's without ever even seeing how nice the interior is. But overall, after 12k miles, I'd say we're satisfied. A few little problems, but satisfied.
I dont want to get into a "you know what" match about which is better. However, I would think you could have an Enclave for what you paid for your traverse, maybe not the same options, but still. Personally, for us, I didnt want an Enclave. My reasons were 1) we went into a buick dealership to look at them, honestly the only people in the dealership were old people! I am 28. 2) The Enclave was the second (not counting the saturn) lambda made, I would imagine one of the first to get a redesign when the time comes. 3.) the interior is not nicer! Its the same minus a wood steering wheel and a clock! 4) buick is for old people, oh wait... I already said that. But I do think my great aunt who is in her 70's likes her enclave.

Tell your wife not to covet an enclave, same car basically.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,174 Posts
I'll agree with Tiestosteele here.
I think the Chevy Traverse is geared more towards the young family crowd. Sure they can be expensive vehicles, and have just as nice options as the Enclave ( or the Acadia Denali ), but more or less, you are paying a premium just for the name on the badge. I'd prefer to have the cheaper base priced vehicle with all options, and pay about $3,000 less for an equally optioned Enclave / Acadia. I say $3,000 because that's what we found while searching here, as the Acadia was our first choice by looks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
Tiestosteele said:
I dont want to get into a "you know what" match about which is better. However, I would think you could have an Enclave for what you paid for your traverse, maybe not the same options, but still. Personally, for us, I didnt want an Enclave. My reasons were 1) we went into a buick dealership to look at them, honestly the only people in the dealership were old people! I am 28. 2) The Enclave was the second (not counting the saturn) lambda made, I would imagine one of the first to get a redesign when the time comes. 3.) the interior is not nicer! Its the same minus a wood steering wheel and a clock! 4) buick is for old people, oh wait... I already said that. But I do think my great aunt who is in her 70's likes her enclave.

Tell your wife not to covet an enclave, same car basically.
The "Buick's are for old beople" doesn't apply to anything post Enclave. Only applies to LeSabre, Lucerne, (old LaCrosse), Rendezvous, Terazza. (unless you are saying anyone in their 30's +is old, I turn 40 later this month!

The underpinnings, engine and transmission are the same between the Enclave and Traverse, all else is different. Problem is, most sales people will say they are the same, but that is just not true, there's more to it than just the underpinnings. Materials are different on the interior, more standard features (HID lights, power gate, auto climate, DIC, quiet tuning (different windshield and front side glass), more sound deadening), Dual exhaust standard (I think only the LTZ has this on the Traverse, more H.P.). The one advantage, other than price, that the Traverse has is more towing, and that's a big thing for those who need the 5200 lbs. (only 4500 on the Enclave, who knows why).. Comparison of the Enclave CXL is mostly to be with the LTZ Traverse. The CX Enclave (what we have) is more in line with the LT2 Traverse, but with some of the LTZ features, just not the leather seats. To get a CX Enclave, you most likely have to order because 99% of the Enclaves on the lots are loaded CXL's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
Don't misunderstand...I'm not saying I AGREE with the wife. She likes the extra "bling" on the Enclave exterior, the grille, and the articulating headlights (which I am also a fan of). I personally prefer the looks of the Traverse over the Enclave and Acadia. Believe it or not, I think the Outlook, loaded up, was a very attractive ride, though not as nice as a Traverse. Beauty, however, is subjective, and we could argue until eternity on this topic.

Now-as far as Buick goes, I have to disagree a bit. I think their latest products have gone away from the "old people" stigma and more towards youth, or at least people in their 40's, like myself. The new LaCrosse and Regal turn my head every time I see them, and believe me, I am a performance car enthusiast (that's for you, GXP Weasel!). I plan on coming into some $$$ soon ( don't we all! ) and I've already started looking at used 911 and 911 Turbo Cabriolets....I figure 45 years is long enough to be waiting for my dream car. For now, I'll just keep driving my Toyota Echo with 220,000 trouble-free miles into the ground, while the wife styles around in the Traverse. :violent:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I think some options should come as standard equipment. A remote liftgate is one of them. Other car makers put better options such as power, remote, glass opens, motion switch under rear bumper, etc than Chevy, GMC. It seems like Chevy and GMC are always behind the curve on options.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top