Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I am a brand new 2010 Traverse LT1 owner, and I am enjoying it greatly. When I was shopping around for the vehicle, one of the things that topped my list was the dual zone automatic cliamte controls. Well, when it came down to paying, we found a really good deal on our LT1 that had everything we wanted, except for the dual zone. My question is does anyone know if you can just purchase the digital controls and plug them up to give yourself the dual zone? Or is there more things that GM wouldnt have installed in this car from the factory that I would need?

The other thing that we had to give up was the 7 passenger seating configuration. Anyone know how much it would be to purchase the captains chairs and swap the bench out?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
Its probably doable-- to install the dual climate--- BUT-- youre going to have to do ALOT of work-
Not only the interface that you touch etc...
But youre going to need to install the sensors that detect the temp in each zone-
also there may be some exterior sensors as I believe it also gets input from outside- to help manage interior temps.
Also Probably the stepper motors that control the flow of the AC to the various zones.....
As for the seats..
Those would probably be easier to bolt up...

·
Registered
1 Posts
The bucket and bench seats are not interchangeable as the tracks in the floor are different for each. Search the Acadia and Enclave forums for discussions on this.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
ThaTraverseMan said:
Hello everyone! I am a brand new 2010 Traverse LT1 owner, and I am enjoying it greatly. When I was shopping around for the vehicle, one of the things that topped my list was the dual zone automatic cliamte controls. Well, when it came down to paying, we found a really good deal on our LT1 that had everything we wanted, except for the dual zone. My question is does anyone know if you can just purchase the digital controls and plug them up to give yourself the dual zone? Or is there more things that GM wouldnt have installed in this car from the factory that I would need?

The other thing that we had to give up was the 7 passenger seating configuration. Anyone know how much it would be to purchase the captains chairs and swap the bench out?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Have you considered the loss of your (HVAC ) warranty by modifiying what came "stock" with the vehicle? Not worth it, in my opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bobg1951chevy said:
Have you considered the loss of your (HVAC ) warranty by modifiying what came "stock" with the vehicle? Not worth it, in my opinion.
I had not thought about the loss of warranty with modifying the car... had not gotten that far in the process. It is not worth it to me to add the dual zone if it is going to come down to me bascially having to install a whole new HVAC system. I was hoping there was a small chance that it would be as simple as swapping out the control panel, but as I figured, it is not going to be.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
yeah-- theres alot more involved with the digital system than just the panel...
Theres also software involved....im pretty sure...

I think on the LTZ models- (and possibly on other digital models)- when calls come in or are made--- the AC system recognizes a call-- and lowers the blowers air speed-- so as to make the cabin more quiet...

(Can Traverse LTZ owners confirm this--- as I think the Enclave and Acadia do this).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes it does - the fan drops to low setting when the bluetooth (or OnStar) phone is used. Another neat trick is, when in Auto and the ambient temp is low, the fan won't run until heat is available from the engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you don't mind possibly throwing away a hundred bucks you could always try it and find out. There is one on Ebay right now for under $90 including shipping. After looking at the pictures it appears to have the same 4 plugs as the normal climate controls. I obviously can't verify it though. If you do try it please post back letting us know.

Ebay Link Here

Edit: I was just going through my complete electrical diagrams for my 09 Malibu, and while the manual and automatic HVAC systems share a lot of the same wiring, there is enough difference that just replacing the controls wouldn't do it. There was an upper and lower temp sensor and even the blower motor has different actuators that need a few more wires so you would have to replace it with the correct version and add some wiring. Again this was on my 09 Malibu so I am sure the dual zone climate controls on the Traverse would require even more. I would really need to see the wiring diagrams and a parts reference for the Traverse to be able to do this. Sorry.

·
Registered
70 Posts
As an other poster mentioned, the fan speed is reduced when a call comes in on the phone. There are sensors and servos to control the air flow and I doubt it could be done without great expense.

Ray
2010 Traverse TE

·
Registered
36 Posts
Im in the process of doint it to mine You need a new dash and center console harness sensor digital controls and a new heater box and duct with the openings for the sensors.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
09TRVSLT1 said:
Im in the process of doint it to mine You need a new dash and center console harness sensor digital controls and a new heater box and duct with the openings for the sensors.
Reading your posts, sounds like you're doing a lot of electrrical updates to your Traverse.

Send us instructional pics of your progress.

Bob

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
wow-- lots of changes youre making.

Please document the stuff as best you can.
Prices for parts too...
Curious to see if a non techy novice would be better off ordering from the factory--- or tackling the job.

I know theres some of us that get a thrill of tackling some of these add ons...

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
this is right from the ebay listing.

Important Information About Climate Control Panels

If you are bidding on a digital/automatic climate control, this CAN NOT be used to upgrade from a manual climate control. Digital/automatic climate control panels can only be installed in vehicles already equipped with the digital/automatic climate feature. Digital/automatic climate controls are only guaranteed as a direct replacement.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
On the ebay listing- they most likely list this so that people dont assume that simply adding the panel will give them digital AC...

the digital AC requires sensors and other neat gizmos to work-I think programming too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Any updates on this? Not including the dash harness/sensors/pieces, a person will also need to the rear controls to complete the tri-zone...what's involved in the rear portion of the sensors/harness?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just completed it and it works as intended. You'll need the climate controls front and rear, the instrment panel, center console and sensor(labeled automatic) harness, heater box with sensors and actuators. Really a 2 day job. Heads up the automatic heater controls were available on an LT1 with nav or dvd meaning it was equipped with Bose, how ever LT1 without bose is not prewired for the amp but its an easy fix you will need to run a amp positive and a negative from conector X200 the positive to the 2 pin in the IP fuse box x1 connector and the negative to the ground in to kick panel ground point. It set me back about 350 in part,s I got mine from a LT2 which was prewire for XA7 heated washer fluid. It can be costly but rewarding. Picture were to large to add.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
Very interesting...
$350... and lots of knowledge as you have....
add alot more $$ if someone has someone else do it..

holy moly-- you really had to take it apart!!!

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
and you did it on the street....

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Wow, that is intense. The cost doesn't scare me away, but all that work you had to do does!! I will stick with manual controls. I know I know, sooooo Y2K!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts