Traverse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year our 2012 traverse during the summer was intermittently making a hissing sound when the ac was on. Took into the dealer and they indicated there was a leak and we probably need to replace ac system for around $1500-$2000
They also said they could recharge and see if that gets us through the summer. Seem to work and now we are at the next summer and the same sound. What are our options, can I keep recharging the system or will it probably get worse?
I think they charged around $200 to recharge the system- Is this something I can do at home- I am pretty handy and have changed the oil and other things in my car on my own- Also what about this thing on the market to add to fill leaks- do they work? or doe they cause more harm

·
Registered
75 Posts
I also have a 2012 and had the same symptoms as you experienced. The shop I use (not the dealer) found the leak in one of the hoses in the engine compartment that was covered in a sheath. They first recharged the system (which included a dye) and couldn't detect a leak but after two weeks of occasional use the A/C stopped working. I took it back in and they happened to see a hint of dye on the sheath. Ended up costing around $400 (they included the second refrigerant charge for free).

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Another issue you may have - lots of threads here about it:

During initial use, the fan motor used in the rear AC sheds copper from it's brushes. This copper gets on the rear evaporator and causes it to corrode and leak. Repair requires replacement of the evaporator. If this is your problem, do NOT let them replace the fan motor. Your current fan motor has shed most of it's copper. If you put a new motor in, it will start shedding and you'll be right back where you started.

The Gen 2 use brushless motors.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The A/C doesn't need to be "replaced", rather a competent tech needs to look for leaks. Of course, that's not easy. If you're lucky its a visible hose connection or underhood component like the compressor or dryer. If you're not, could be the evaporator in the back or worse in the dash (in which case the dashboard must come apart). If it's a slow enough leak, you could recharge it yourself. It's not a long term fix, depending on how much longer you plan on keeping the vehicle. Personally I would not use those with the leak stop added, my opinion is it causes more problems in the longer run.

Our '10 developed the issue a year before we got rid of it in '16. I refilled 2-3x times the summer before to get us through without sweating to death, then once more the following spring just prior to trading it in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
mine was leaking out of a hose. Can't replace just that hose however they are all attached in one hose assembly. Part from dealer was $240.00. Labor to fix on the other hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Be careful when you change your oil filter. On our 2012, the low pressure hose runs close to the filter with the fill valve in line with the filter and if you or a mechanic gets in a hurry you can bang the valve bend it and eventually cause a leak.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts