Traverse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2016 LS, and have discovered the AC will not turn on (3 blinking lights), and have discovered I have leak (pin hole) in the line behind the rear passenger wheel. Possibly damaged when some past work was done lifting the car or something.

And it is the section of the line right where it bends, and not a straight section.

I'm hoping to possibly have it repaired without having the full metal/aluminum lines installed which I am reading can be very costly. Even the rubber replacement kits for the whole line is a few hundred plus the recharge when done.

I see they do make/sell Repair line kits like this one where you can cut out and then add/splice in a new section.

hXXps://www.autocoolingsolutions.com/ac-lines/ac-line-repair-kits

So a couple of questions as I research before getting it repaired.

1. Will a dealer carry a similar splice line kit? I suspect they would try and tell me I need the entire new line at a huge costs.

2. What is the OD size of the AC line? I could possibly install it myself, no stranger to cutting tubing, but unsure of what the OD of the AC tubing is.

3. Would a dealer installed the repair line kit if I brought it to them?

4. And if installed myself, can you rent vacuums to recharge the system or better to have a dealer, etc recharge it?

Thanks,
PT

·
Registered
108 Posts
I can only tell you what I was told when this happened to me. I spoke to the repair guy of a friend who runs a repair shop in town. He is very knowledgeable, and very honest. He doesn't talk down to you or bs you. He did a patch kit on my SUV when I had an AC leak in the rear.

When I took the traverse in, I asked him about the rear line and patching it. He said that this line is one piece when you replace it, and it runs all the way to the front. It is a very expensive line. Dealer only I think. He said that you couldn't patch mine because of the way it bends and routes. He suggested either replace the entire line (over $1000 in total) or block off the rear. You can get block off kits. I chose to block off the rear.

We use our AC now, the rear air is not as cold, but it is pretty good. I do know that if you recharge it yourself, no shop will touch your AC again. In the case of my 2003 SUV, I wouldn't care. But with your 2016, I would have a shop do it. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
509 Posts
A splice is another connection and chance for a leak.
I had to replace rear A/C lines in my '99 Yukon due to salt corrosion. Not a easy job without a lift but I have all the A/C equipment and skills to do it correctly. I had to replace the rear lines in my '11 Tahoe for the same salt corrosion issues, this time I let the dealer do it as I'm a lot older and not as energetic.
With front air only a dark colored big interior vehicle will not cool very well when it's hot and sunny, that's why they put the rear A/C in. Both of mine were and are dark colored. Years of front A/C in work vans that were minimal cooling at best.
Since yours is a '16 fix it the right way if you intend to keep it.
Lines in my '11 last year cost me a grand for dealer to do it, not too bad considering parts prices and work involved.
I spray the metal on my lines now spring and fall with a corrosion inhibitor to lessen the corrosion.

Reactions: linneje

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
There was a member on here or Acadia forum who used one of those splice kits.
dont recall if his was in the straight section or bend.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So to provide an update, I have a buddy with a good connection to a local shop (gotta love golf leagues) and had them look at it today. Probably like most places, he is against the splice option and I am probably going to need to have the line replaced.

Being a local, smaller shop vs a dealer they have limited space and I'm gonna be taking it back in about 2 weeks hopefully to get it worked on. Fortunately, being in the Western NY where the temps aren't to high yet, there is no particular rush to get fixed.

I'll post back again on the end result when its all done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts