Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some initial trouble shooting steps from the experts here. 2011 Trav 2LT - auto climate.

Outside temp - a balmy 62 here in St.Louis MO. The first +45F day of the Winter here I think. Bright sun too, so inside the car gets plenty warm.

Tried the AUTO setting at 68F- ac is not on. Tried to turn on the ac manually - three blinks, and off.
Tried turning the temp all the way down to 60F - ac is still not turning on, with the manual effort still resulting in 3 blinks and off.

Air coming through the vent is somewhat lukewarm, with no hint of air conditioning.

How/what should I check before approaching the shop?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

Anyway - if there is one thing about the Trav I do not like, it is this. The HVAC.

Just a total nanny system, which will not let me hit the 'Recirc' when I want it to work. I have to change 2 other things, breathe in some exhaust fumes from the bus in front of me, before it works. If it works. Sometimes it just blinks even when everything else is set properly. Apparently the planets are not aligned or some such stuff.

I am gonna stop venting now - pun intended.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
silverfish said:
I need some initial trouble shooting steps from the experts here. 2011 Trav 2LT - auto climate.

Outside temp - a balmy 62 here in St.Louis MO. The first +45F day of the Winter here I think. Bright sun too, so inside the car gets plenty warm.

Tried the AUTO setting at 68F- ac is not on. Tried to turn on the ac manually - three blinks, and off.
Tried turning the temp all the way down to 60F - ac is still not turning on, with the manual effort still resulting in 3 blinks and off.

Air coming through the vent is somewhat lukewarm, with no hint of air conditioning.

How/what should I check before approaching the shop?
Set temp to 75*, see how it reacts within a few minutes. Be certain you do not have your solar sensor covered with something.

·
Registered
11,225 Posts
"Be certain you do not have your solar sensor covered with something."
as stated by bob...

Yeah- most dont know that the solar sensor---
the one that sits on top of the dash- the little bubble...

not only does it give input as to when to turn on the DRL/headlights...

but on the vehicles with the digital AC---- also serves to assist the digital AC in setting temps.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
rbarrios said:
Be certain you do not have your solar sensor covered with something.

Yeah- most dont know that the solar sensor---
the one that sits on top of the dash- the little bubble...

not only does it give input as to when to turn on the DRL/headlights...

but on the vehicles with the digital AC---- also serves to assist the digital AC in setting temps.
Yes sir Rbarrios, well stated.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, nothing covering it. In fact, I have experienced the effects of covering it with my sunshade when it is hot and sunny out. It takes a few minutes after I start driving, and then all of a sudden, the blower goes high (when it finally realizes the real temp/light outside).

This morning I am in my wife's Ford C-max - it is 37 outside. I thought, let me try pressing the buttons (auto climate) and see what happens. Pressed the Recirc - recirc came on instantly, no questions asked about vent positions or this or that. Turned on the AC - bingo, AC worked right away, cold(er) air. Is it needed? No it was not, absolutely, but I got to decide it.

Anyways, at this point, my local mechanic is looking at it, to see if it has thrown any codes etc, related to the refrigerant pressure or something like that.

I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
My 2010 developed a leak on the low pressure line coming off of the compressor.

Just out of warranty of course so it cost me $600 to fix.

It blinks if the outside temp is to low or a line pressure issue.

I see more and more 09,10, 11, 12 having the same issue I did.

Hopefully my 2013 is different.

·
Registered
177 Posts
check your coolant level. I had that issue driving back from fl. Mine was diagnosed as water pump failure. Mine is also an 11 with auto ac

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So my shop checked on everything, and found that one of the actuators ( the one closer to the passenger, on the passenger side) is bad. He was right as it was making the grinding noise. And he said that, along with the slightly low refrigerant pressure caused the ac to act up, at least according to the diagnostics. I already had a spare actuator. So he replaced that, and did a full EVAC and check, all for a decent cost. He had pulled the truck inside his warm shop, and could get the AC to turn on and run after that.

At present it is hard to verify if the AC is indeed working since the outside temp is a crazy 10 -12 F. Will wait for the warmer weather - sometime this year I hope.

Will update later! Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, here's the update: That was not quite the issue.

The actuator fix did clear the grinding noise. Then one day when the weather was warm outside (probably 10 days since the first shop visit), as I was driving home from the airport, it started making this cyclic rattling noise (almost like the rattle of a small rattle snake) that is clearly related to something venting. It goes away if you turn off the HVAC main, or turn off the AC. And soon, only warm air was coming out of everywhere.

Took it to the shop, and there was leak in both upper and lower lines - had to replace them both. During the last evac, he had put some dye in the gas, and he showed me where it was leaking. Ordered the two hoses, it is something like 5 hours work. All said and done, it cost me $1200 ($960 + the first visit of $240). Dealership offered no help on the warranty or the cost - sorry pal, you are out of luck, more or less.

Absolutely not happy with the quality of these parts GM put in these cars. Just over 3.5 years and 47K miles. If there is a class action on this, you bet I will be joining it. And I am surprised there isn't a recall on this - considering the number of complaints out there on this across the Lambda platform.

It is running good now. I love the car overall - no question there. Hope it stays that way.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
silverfish said:
Well, here's the update: That was not quite the issue.

The actuator fix did clear the grinding noise. Then one day when the weather was warm outside (probably 10 days since the first shop visit), as I was driving home from the airport, it started making this cyclic rattling noise (almost like the rattle of a small rattle snake) that is clearly related to something venting. It goes away if you turn off the HVAC main, or turn off the AC. And soon, only warm air was coming out of everywhere.

Took it to the shop, and there was leak in both upper and lower lines - had to replace them both. During the last evac, he had put some dye in the gas, and he showed me where it was leaking. Ordered the two hoses, it is something like 5 hours work. All said and done, it cost me $1200 ($960 + the first visit of $240). Dealership offered no help on the warranty or the cost - sorry pal, you are out of luck, more or less.

Absolutely not happy with the quality of these parts GM put in these cars. Just over 3.5 years and 47K miles. If there is a class action on this, you bet I will be joining it. And I am surprised there isn't a recall on this - considering the number of complaints out there on this across the Lambda platform.

It is running good now. I love the car overall - no question there. Hope it stays that way.
You would have been well advised to contact CCS at their 800 number, after the faulty hoses were detected.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Add me to the list. 80 degree exterior temp, A/C would not engage. Blink-Blink-Blink

I don't have any apparent leak, at least no spots on the driveway. Any other suggestions on where to look and try to diagnose a leak?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just drove home from work and no issues... Outside temp was 64, A/C came on and held strong.

Might be time to bring it in for some preventative maintenance.

·
Super Moderator
2,040 Posts
Add me to the list, 25 degrees celcius out and blink blink blink. Another item item to go on the Traverse. Starting to think this maybe my last GM, for a while anyway. With all the recalls lately and the number of faulty parts on the Traverse (water pumps, leaking struts, power steering, seatbelts, air conditioning, HVAC actuators, throttle body maintenance, etc.) it seems to me like this is getting to be a very "needy" vehicle, after only 4 years. Not all of those items have hit my Traverse, but I can't help but think that my water pump is a ticking time bomb.

We'll see how much $$ this AC repair is going to cost. ::)

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Hey Everybody,

Sorry to hear that you may be experiencing some A/C concerns. We are here to assist if there is anything you would like us to help you get looked into. Feel free to reach out via PM with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealership.

Sincerely,

Jonathan A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Quantum said:
Add me to the list, 25 degrees celcius out and blink blink blink. Another item item to go on the Traverse. Starting to think this maybe my last GM, for a while anyway. With all the recalls lately and the number of faulty parts on the Traverse (water pumps, leaking struts, power steering, seatbelts, air conditioning, HVAC actuators, throttle body maintenance, etc.) it seems to me like this is getting to be a very "needy" vehicle, after only 4 years. Not all of those items have hit my Traverse, but I can't help but think that my water pump is a ticking time bomb.

We'll see how much $$ this AC repair is going to cost. ::)
Although mine is not blinking, it is going back into the shop Tuesday for the second a/c repair in 3 years. Car is approaching 5 years old and has 78,000 miles, and I feel "lucky", compared to some on this forum who have had ongoing azz aches with their Lambdas.

To say the Traverse is "needy" is so fitting. To say the mechanical design is seriously flawed, is even more fitting.

When I compare the maintenance/repair history of the Traverse to that of the TrailBlazer I owned, there is no comparison. The TrailBlazer was the winner, without a shadow of a doubt.

Early on, I felt the Traverse was inferior to the TrailBlazer, felt forced to purchase the GMPP. I am happy I purchased the GMPP, but not happy I had to spend the $1500 bucks to protect the Traverse from invading my wallet. My $1500 investment will pay for itself, but for a vehicle ,so new, to rack up such high repairs is disgusting.

Traverse was not the "trouble free" vehicle I had hoped for. To make matters worse for Traverse owners, each and every repair will break the bank, with its overwhelming expenses.

A very expensive vehicle to repair. A vehicle with expensive, ongoing repairs.

Rest assured, those expensive repairs will be there, for you to absorb.

CCS monitors this site, but seriously wonder what reports are given to the GODS within Chevrolet, by CCS.

All these SAME ongoing, repetitive factory screw ups are reported here on this forum, yet the charges $$$$ still continue to the owners, without ADDITIONAL, sufficient coverages to the owners, by Chevrolet, for their ongoing design flaws and parts failures.

Really sad way to treat owners who have been loyal to the Traverse.

But then, CCS online is here to apologize for any inconvenience, in their canned speech. That makes me feel better.

·
Registered
130 Posts
bobg1951chevy said:
When I compare the maintenance/repair history of the Traverse to that of the TrailBlazer I owned, there is no comparison. The TrailBlazer was the winner, without a shadow of a doubt.

Just curious: What year was your Trailblazer, and how mature was that vehicle's design as compared to your first model year Traverse?

My 2006 TrailBlazer has been pretty solid, but has had its share of "gremlins" as well.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Red_2013_1LT said:
Just curious: What year was your Trailblazer, and how mature was that vehicle's design as compared to your first model year Traverse?

My 2006 TrailBlazer has been pretty solid, but has had its share of "gremlins" as well.
How "mature" was the design of the TrailBlazer? First year for TrailBlazer vs first year for Chevy Traverse. Is that your question? Not certain.

The TrailBlazer I am making comparisons with, was a 2002. It gave me 146,213 trouble free miles.

I now own a 65K mile 2006 TrailBlazer, along with the Traverse. Once again, the 2006 TrailBlazer certainly does not have the issues that we find on this forum, with the Traverses.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
CCS monitors this site, but seriously wonder what reports are given to the GODS within Chevrolet, by CCS.
I highly doubt the GODs of GM give sh*t what we say on this forum. I'd be surprised if Mary Barra even KNEW she had a forum, let alone any CCS's "monitoring" it.

Chrysler isn't any better. When I went from my '88 to '92 Caravan, I sent them a letter with my disappointment in some things that had been discontinued and some suggestions to improve it and I didn't even get a "thanks, don't call us, we'll call you" response.

They're great on thinking up imaginative commercials to reel in new customers, but the care and feeding of the customers they've already suckered, sorry, reeled in is slim to none.

·
Registered
130 Posts
bobg1951chevy said:
Once again, the 2006 TrailBlazer certainly does not have the issues that we find on this forum, with the Traverses.

Maybe it all comes down to individual cases. A quick scan of my records shows that my 2006 Trailblazer cost me over $3,000 in various repairs during 2012 and 2013. I'd have to pull out the bills to analyze the specifics, but this was not routine items like brakes and tires. At the time the vehicle had less than 100,000 miles.

TrueDelta.com also shows 2005 and 2006 as being the worst years for Trailblazer reported repairs - so your time may be coming, my friend :).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts