Traverse Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 2010 Traverse (LS), I have been noticing that when I press the “close vent” button, my AC turns on; at the same time my AC is OFF b/c the “light”, on the AC button is off.
How do in know that the AC is on? B/c the AIR from the Fan is "AC like".

This is happening when:
The AC is off
The fan is on
and when I press the “close Vent” button.

Any thoughts?

G

·
So the close vent button would be recirculation? IIRC the LS model has the manual A/C system..........or does it have tri zone A/C?

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
that is normal operation. (I have the manual ac also),

I believe he is referring to the recirculate button.

When ever the recirculate button is pressed- the AC compressor comes on.

the best I can describe this is--- imagine you have passengers in your car...
if you recirculated air- pretty soon it would get stuffy- and the windows begin to fog up...
when you press recirculate- the air has the moisture removed from it- and your windows wont fog up.

My 2003 Trailblazer was like this too.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Page 8-8 of the 2010 Traverse owner's manual:

(Recirculation): Press to turn
the recirculation mode on or off. An
indicator light comes on when
recirculation is on. When the engine
is turned off, the recirculation mode
automatically turns off and must be
re‐selected when the engine is
turned on again.
This mode recirculates and helps to
quickly cool the air[/color] inside the
vehicle. It can be used to prevent
outside air and odors from entering
the vehicle.
The recirculation mode cannot be
used with floor, defog, or defrosting
modes. If recirculation is selected in
these modes, the indicator flashes
three times and turns off. The air
conditioning compressor also comes
on when this mode is activated[/color]
While in recirculation mode the
windows can fog when the weather
is cold and damp. To clear the fog,
select either the defog or defrost
mode and increase the fan speed.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
yup thats what I read a while back...
Though im surprissed it says the windows can fog up while in recirculation.
I guess the right conditions have to be met--- lots of heavy breathers- and the right external conditions- and low fan setting...

On a side note-- I do use the AC to quickly defog the windows- (like on those rainy days)..
I wonder why other drivers dont do the same--- you know you see them at red lights--- windows down and wiping the inside of the windshield--- yet theyre driving a very new car-- that you know has AC...

G

·
Fogging of windows is due to temperature differences...this is most appartent when it's nasty cold outside and the interior temperature is alot warmer; now combine that with a vehicle full of people and you have ripe conditions for fogging. Kick on the A/C and it cools the windows and interior to be closer to the outside temp and presto the windows defog :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Quantum said:
While in recirculation mode the
windows can fog when the weather
is cold and damp. To clear the fog,
select either the defog or defrost
mode and increase the fan speed.
I think the answer to the windows fogging up is in the manual. Its states when the weather is COLD and damp. I think that by cold they mean, too cold for the AC to run, so you start recirculating the inside (heavy breathers) air and then the windows fog up.

·
Registered
417 Posts
There are also times when you can't turn on recirc air. That stinks.

Personally I much prefer to de-fog windows with the outside air closed and A/C on, but if it's cold enough the system won't allow that in my Traverse. I have a 2009 with the tri-zone version.

And, yes with the outside air close the inside can fog up VERY quickly in any car. So turning on the A/C is a great safety feature. Go GM for thinking for the driver in safety.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
Yes.
as long as the compressor is on- its an added load on the engine.

On the highway-- may not 'hurt' as much.
But in stop and go traffic-- the added load will be more apparent

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats sucks, i always drive with the "recirculate button" closed and the fan on. So much for fuel economy :banghead:
Does the GMC Acadia do the same thing?

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I always drive with the fresh air coming in. I like to think that it will stay "fresher" in the vehicle that way.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I guess this is a difference between Europe and US GM cars. Every GM car I have ever had until my Astra had the AC come on when the recirc is on. On my Astra, I can recirc the air without the AC compressor coming on. It's kind of nice because I sometimes cycle the AC off when I am accelerating, and I leave it on recirc so I don't bring in the hot air from the outside. With 138 HP and a manual transmission in my Astra, I can feel a significant drain on the engine when the AC is on.

With the nearly 300 HP in the Traverse, there is no perceivable difference in the load on the engine with the AC on.

·
Registered
312 Posts
RJ45 - I've got a phone number that might help your problem. Just dial 976-exorcist. Hope this helps. :thumb:

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a question. As we know, if the recirculate button is lit then the A/C compressor is working, explains why I would turn off the A/C button but the air was still cold. So the question is, if the circulate button is lit, why does it allow you to turn the A/C button on and off? Does it make a difference if the A/C button is on or off when the recirculate button is on? ???

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
the AC compressor will come on if the recirc button is pressed... regardless of the AC button is off...

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
My old, old 1993 Chevy Cavailer used to have a light for when the A/C was on. Even when you selected defrost, the A/C light would illuminate. I always liked that idea. That way you always know when the A/C compressor is running, or SHOULD be running.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts