Traverse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's new (well it's an '09 but new to us :)) Traverse has 23K miles on it.

1. Is it too late to use synthetic oil in it?
2. Is synthetic recommended?
3. The coolant that's in it appears to be red in color. Can you use 'normal' (green) antifreeze in this vehicle?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
994 Posts
bird333 said:
3. The coolant that's in it appears to be red in color. Can you use 'normal' (green) antifreeze in this vehicle?
Actually I think Dexcool is more orangey[/color].
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,417 Posts
welcome bird.

read up on synthetic oils/ oil change post/ and oil life monitor post on here and the Acadia, enclave, outlook forums-- so you can make an informed decision on using the synthetic/dino and the OLM.....

Also--- dexcool will look pink,red,orange.

No need to go to the green stuff.

dexcool is good for 150,000 or 5 yrs.
if theres no leak in your cooling system-- dexcool will be fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
I think you're definitely not supposed to switch coolants away from the OE Dexcool.

You're also not supposed to mix green with orange.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
1 and 2) Sure you can go to synthetic but bear in mind that this engines particular soft spot in oil analysis history seems to be fuel dilution, so the better strategy may be to lean a bit on the more frequent side with conventional oil. You'll find a lot of mixed opinion on this but I can tell you as an engineer with way too many years working with industrial engines, that is the approach that I'm taking even though I do use synthetic in other applications.

2) There's a lot of hear/say on the dexcool issue, so I won't give you an opinion, I'll just refer you to the actual manufacturer's (Havoline) site. http://www.havoline.com/products/na/antifreeze.html What you'll see is that it is compatible with conventional coolant but you will lose the extended length protection if you mix more than 10%. Although it clearly has some advantages it is not without its issues as well, most of which are related to it being more reactive to other materials (and contaminents) in the system. These days GM has the system pretty well worked out and it is generally worth sticking with.
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
bird333 said:
1. Is it too late to use synthetic oil in it?
2. Is synthetic recommended?
3. The coolant that's in it appears to be red in color. Can you use 'normal' (green) antifreeze in this vehicle?
1. It's never too late to switch to synthetic
2. I would use it, but it depends on who you talk to around here
3. I would buy the 50/50 mix of orange since that's what came with your Traverse
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,417 Posts
Gerry said:
1 and 2) Sure you can go to synthetic but bear in mind that this engines particular soft spot in oil analysis history seems to be fuel dilution, so the better strategy may be to lean a bit on the more frequent side with conventional oil. You'll find a lot of mixed opinion on this but I can tell you as an engineer with way too many years working with industrial engines, that is the approach that I'm taking even though I do use synthetic in other applications.

exactly my thoughts--- im sticking with Valvoline Premium Conventional--- its shown nice results for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
1) No, it's not too late to use synthetic. But you don't necessarily have to use a synthetic either. Good results can be obtained with a dino oil. RBarrios has proved that out. You can use a synthetic provided it meets GM standard GM6094M, that it has the API starburst symbol for gasoline engines and is 5W-30 grade (or 0W-30 if ambient temperatures drop below -20F/-29C in your area).
2) Synthetic is recommended by many, other camps say go 'dino'. Your mileage may vary. Use what you get on sale, and most importantly - what you get best results with.
3) Stick with DexCool per the owners manual. You are within warranty period - no need to rock the boat. The factory fill of DexCool will last you through the warranty period provided you don't have any leaks or run low on coolant (thus introducing air into the system for an extended period).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the comments so far. The reason why I asked was it too late to switch to synthetic is because I had heard that after so many miles in an engine, synthetic is more prone to leak. rbarrios, do you have a link to your oil tests?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,417 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
bird333 said:
...The reason why I asked was it too late to switch to synthetic is because I had heard that after so many miles in an engine, synthetic is more prone to leak. ...
Many miles would be on the order of approximately 100,000 miles or more. At 27K miles, you're just past the break-in period and shouldn't have any issues switching to a synthetic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
Switching oil at any time should not be a problem. I suggest 50/50 blend of dino/synth. Cheaper and you get all the worthwhile benefits. Or just stick to regular oil, or go full synth. Totally up to you.

ONLY buy the antifreeze recommended in the owner's manual. Using anything else could end up damaging your cooling system. It is very important to follow the manual here.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top