Traverse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I have this dreaded problem, 2012 LTZ. Did some research on here and found some other threads, but I have a few specific questions with my issue so starting a new thread.

It's been in the 80's lately and this issue is happening, so A/C is broken in some form or fashion. Is there any self diagnosis I can try to do? I don't want to put refrigerant in, and don't mind paying a shop to do the recharge if that's it.

My wife got an oil change a month ago and they recommended both two filter replacement, the engine air filter as well as cabin air filter. We've barely driven the Traverse of late and it hasn't been too hot, so my wife isn't sure when the A/C Problem started.

Could it be from some poor install on one of the two filters? If there's any correlation here I can at least take it back to the oil change place and go off on them. Thanks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sorry, there is no correlation between your filters and your A/C problem. The flashing light indicates a problem with the A/C system such that it will not operate. Your A/C system should never need refrigerant. I have a vehicle that is 13 years old that has never had refrigerant added, and the A/C works fine. Unfortunately it is probably a leak in the system, and the leaks are never cheap to fix. Putting in refrigerant may solve the problem briefly, but you need to have a professional do a leak test to find and repair the leak in the system.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Of course you can tell them that the problem only happened after they worked on it, most likely they will deny that "anything they did, could not cause the issue". Standard deniability. If they are a reputable shop they may take a look, possibly find the cause and maybe it was something they did, maybe not. If they put it up on a rack, maybe they pinched a A/C line.
Do you drive it in over a pit or do they put it on a rack for an oil change?
You should get under the hood or under the vehicle to check for any damaged lines or a loose pressure switch connector on the A/C line.
Sometimes, a shady shop will disconnect something so you need a "repair", just sayin. They may need to drum up some business lately.
Once my wife was on a trip to her cousins, she stopped at a restaurant on the way down and the A/C didn't work after she continued her trip. She asked for her Cousins "Trusted Mechanic" to look at it, of course he had to recharge the system. He never found a leak, I don't know if he looked, but charged My wife $200 for a recharge.
Either it has a leak or it doesn't , he should not have "recharged" it without finding a leak. Never another problem with it, go figure.
BTW what was the name of the oil change shop if it is a chain. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Before you invest too much time, money and research keep an eye on engine temp while driving. We had same issue with our 2014 LT and AC light would flash 3 times and then turn off. I also noticed our engine temp would flatline and would not give proper reading after driving for several minutes. I had to replace the ECT sensor which is a $20 part from Autozone. Once I replaced that all started working fine. Unfortunately the sensors seem to only last 5 years or so and the AC system continues to be one of the main issues with most Traverse models. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shop called. There is zero refrigerant (completely empty), but not holding any pressure either so it's due to a leak. They found a leak on the lines running to the rear, total repair is over $1500 if no issue with rusty parts and getting the line off and new one on. If there are issues it's closer to $2500+ to do all the work. Eff me.

We're looking at alternative options, like cutting off the line to the rear to just have A/C working in the front while heat will work in both rear and front. The place I took it to is very reputable, maybe not the cheapest, but I can't imagine my dealership being any cheaper.

Seems like having to replace the A/C line to the rear has come up often in these parts. At least I did find several other threads about it. Some had luck for repairing under $1k.

Any chance they are wrong and simply refilling/recharging with refrigerant will help?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Did they indicate exactly where the leak is, how bad it is, and what caused it?
They do sell the line set. if that makes it easy for you to replace it and have them evacuate and charge it. I bought the line set from Rockauto for a 2005 terraza and had the shop put it on, it would have been $800 for them to source the part, if they could have gotten it, it cost me $300 or $350 for me to get it, they installed it, they spliced it in with a tubing kit which the shop had. I believe the whole job cost me $800 instead of $1,100.
Yes unfortunately is is exposed under the vehicle and road debris can damage it, I am thinking of installing a guard on mine.

If it is easy to get to and a small damage they can repair it with a splice kit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright just to put some closure to this topic. I didn't want the full A/C lines going front to rear replaced, not for nearly $2k with potential to go higher. I also didn't want to simply recharge hoping leak was slow enough to last a few years, based on what they said about vacuum and pressure testing. I also didn't want to risk putting some sealant crap into the car.

So best option was cut the rear line near the front and cap it, meaning no more rear A/C. Heat and fan still operates in rear. Reality is, we rarely need rear A/C so as good as new as far as I'm concerned. $500 job. I'm happy. Plus could always resort to replacing lines as was initially proposed.

Seems the Acadia forum has more activity concerning A/C leaks than here. I've read some others doing this same type of repair. Hope it holds for years. 8 years in and still love this car, it's been great for us. Hope to not start seeing one issue after another, but an occasional $500 to $1k repair is expected and perfectly fine.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I agree, I had an 08 Outlook for 10 years and 212,000 miles, other than having the transmission rebuilt due to the 3-5-R waveplate, $500 here and $1,000 there isn't a big deal. I never had an A/C problem, although I always wanted it a bit cooler, a friend topped it off once and it made such a big difference in comfort.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Of course you can tell them that the problem only happened after they worked on it, most likely they will deny that "anything they did, could not cause the issue". Standard deniability. If they are a reputable shop they may take a look, possibly find the cause and maybe it was something they did, maybe not. If they put it up on a rack, maybe they pinched a A/C line.
Do you drive it in over a pit or do they put it on a rack for an oil change?
You should get under the hood or under the vehicle to check for any damaged lines or a loose pressure switch connector on the A/C line.
Sometimes, a shady shop will disconnect something so you need a "repair", just sayin. They may need to drum up some business lately.
Once my wife was on a trip to her cousins, she stopped at a restaurant on the way down and the A/C didn't work after she continued her trip. She asked for her Cousins "Trusted Mechanic" to look at it, of course he had to recharge the system. He never found a leak, I don't know if he looked, but charged My wife $200 for a recharge.
Either it has a leak or it doesn't , he should not have "recharged" it without finding a leak. Never another problem with it, go figure.
BTW what was the name of the oil change shop if it is a chain. Thanks.
there is no way just by changing air / cabin filters that will cause the A/C to quit working ,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts