Traverse Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Haven’t bought any of the new components to do the repair yet as I am still baffled as to why the AC light is on solid (not blinking like when low on coolant) and the ac clutch does not engage. If I jump the 87 and 30 for the ac relay the clutch engages fine. Put the relay in and clutch does not engage, don’t want to install a new compressor and still have it not engage.
I know there are two electrical connectors on the compressor, one for the clutch, but what is the other one for? Wondering if I have an electrical issue?
2 connectors,or 2 wires? If 2 wires, what colors? 1 is probably the hot from #87 terminal when # 30 terminal is "closed" to # 87 of the a/c relay. The other is a ground. With everything off pull the a/c relay, jumper # 30 to #87 terminal. Check the voltage at the compressor, both wires.

Are the coolant fans coming on when the a/c is turned on and the clutch is engaged? If these do not come on the computer turns the a/c off. Vehicle a/c s will "typically"put a 2 to 3 ton "load" on the engine so it needs extra cooling. The computer controls it all. So, DO NOT jumper any terminal besides # 30 to # 87

Look at the diagram on the a/c relay, # 30 is always hot, battery voltage, and is "normally" open until the computer closes it to terminal #87.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Evacuate the system, remove the compressor and take it apart. Then you'll know if good or bad .....or maybe "ugly".

If U do this , before taking it apart, remove the oil plug and carefully pour out the oil in a measured container.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts