Traverse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I got a 2010 Traverse. My problem is that when I try to turn my A/C on the light beeps 3 times and the air does not come on.
I have no idea what the problem could be? Do anyone have a clue of what going on? The weather is starting to warm up and we like to ride in cool air. Thanks In Advance

·
Registered
563 Posts
My problem is that when I try to turn my A/C on the light beeps 3 times and the air does not come on.
First. the light blinking three times is the system's way of telling you it wants to turn on the compressor but can't because:

The outside temp is below 40F. Designed not to work below that temp.

Next would low on refrigerant. Easy to have checked out and would be the first thing I would look into as the cause. If low, there may be a leak that has to be found and fixed before refilling the system.

If not that, then it is time to inspect the mechanicals---compressor clutch, compressor and wiring. For most of us that would mean a trip to a good A/C shop.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
A/C problems plague the Traverse.

Likely the A/C rubber hose in the front of the engine bay.

Very common issue. Parts are plentiful.

·
Registered
537 Posts
A/C rubber hose would be nice. Evaporator core in the dash, not so nice. Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We have a 2011 with about 55,000 miles. The AC light blinked 3 times and shut off so I bought some AC Pro refrigerant and filled the system. Now the compressor kicks on and the light doesn't blink but it only blows hot air, any ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 Traverse LTZ. Recently went on a week long vacation to Tahoe where low temps were in the 30s and 40s. When I got back home to temps in the 80s and 90s and tried the AC, button blinks three times and shuts off. Temperature on DIC reads correctly but could the ambient air sensor still be bad and making the car think the temperature is too low to turn on the AC?

·
Registered
11,536 Posts
Adamsarg said:
Temperature on DIC reads correctly but could the ambient air sensor still be bad and making the car think the temperature is too low to turn on the AC?
I believe the DIC and AC use the same ambient sensor up front by the bumper for external temps.

though the Digital AC on the upper trims also use the light sensor on the top of the dash-- to determine sun load on the vehicle.

(the sensor also has a different part # than the lower trim ambient light sensor)

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Adamsarg said:
I have a 2012 Traverse LTZ. Recently went on a week long vacation to Tahoe where low temps were in the 30s and 40s. When I got back home to temps in the 80s and 90s and tried the AC, button blinks three times and shuts off. Temperature on DIC reads correctly but could the ambient air sensor still be bad and making the car think the temperature is too low to turn on the AC?
Hello Adamsarg,

We apologize for any inconvenience you've experienced with your A/C. If you're thinking you'd like to have the service team at a certified Chevrolet dealership take a look, we'd be happy to get that process started. Feel free to contact us via private message if this is something of interest and include your VIN, mileage, contact information, and preferred dealership when sending your inquiry.

Thank you!

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
17 Posts
mikepol2 said:
We have a 2011 with about 55,000 miles. The AC light blinked 3 times and shut off so I bought some AC Pro refrigerant and filled the system. Now the compressor kicks on and the light doesn't blink but it only blows hot air, any ideas?
Took it in to a local mechanic (not the dealer) for service because of all the horror stories from the rest of you about the dealer costs...They charged $217 to evacuate and recharge the front and rear systems and check all the components; they also added dye and told me to come back in a week for a free check for leaks from the dye. Everything works great right now, it didn't work after I added freon with that AC Pro, obviously it wasn't as easy as the can made it seem to be. They said that since it's working right now, they don't suspect any component issues, but of course can't rule out a leak somewhere. Keeping my fingers crossed - if $217 fixed it I'll consider myself to be very fortunate.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Ehhh, I don't want to be negative nancy here but if it leaked out once it's going to leak out again. Dye will help them find it if it's in a visible location. Hopefully it is a hose connection. Evaporator is much more tough.

You're right though, it can be a challenge to use the do it yourself cans. Problem with freon is it's a liquid, so the only way to measure is by weight. But you don't know how much is remaining in the system and how much you are adding. Going by the pressure gauges can get close, I've done it, but to do it properly the AC shop evacuates all the freon and then adds in the correct poundage specified by the manufacturer.

Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes I'm not optimistic that $217 will be the final fix...especially now that there is a puddle on the garage floor 12 hours after they evacuated and recharged the system. :angryfire:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well in addition to the original $217 for the dye it ended up costing another $943 for a new condenser and a new hose from the condenser to the compressor...a lot of money but I'd imagine it would have been more expensive for a Chevy dealer to do this work. No more garage floor dye puddle and the wife is happy again so I guess it's a win but sure doesn't feel like it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey,

I got a 2010 Traverse. My problem is that when I try to turn my A/C on the light beeps 3 times and the air does not come on.
I have no idea what the problem could be? Do anyone have a clue of what going on? The weather is starting to warm up and we like to ride in cool air. Thanks In Advance
Can you update us on that problem? I have the same problem with my traverse 2009 and looking for a solution.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts