Traverse Forum banner

7 or 8 seater? Ext Warranty?

18K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  t4me 
#1 ·
Tomorrow we will go to the dealership to factory order a Traverse:

1LT, AWD with Rear Camera System, engine block heater, remote starter and Trailering Package AND maybe 7 seater. I know the 7 seater looks nicer than the 8 but is it worth the extra money? Am I missing some obvious advantages of 7 or 8? Btw we have 4 teenage boys.

As well the GMPP warranty:

The dealer quoted us $1750 CDN ie about $2200 US for 5 years/60k miles ($0 deductible). But given the included warranty is 3/36k miles we are basically paying $2200 US for two more years...seems like too much. Also taking into account there is also the included 5 year power train warranty. I dont know... :confused:

#2 ·
I have the 7 seater, so I can tell you what I like about that package. (1LT, AWD)

There are 2 things I like about the 7 seater, only one of which I can take advantage of.

1) I love the way the second row captains chairs slide and collapse forward. People can so easily get into the 3rd row. If you haven't seen the way they collapse, check out the configuration on a traverse at your dealer. It's not the traditional thing where the backrest folds down, and then the seat tips up. It's much easier, quicker. And if you don't want to mess with that, someone can climb in and walk through the center of the two chairs to the 3rd row.

2) That is, unless you have factory center console. This thing is like a monster storage box. If you're kids are young, and/or they bring a lot of stuff with them in the car, this provides a ton of storage space which would otherwise be in the way on the floor or something. You have to see it to believe how big it is. You can't get this from the dealer, it has to be factory installed. So, if it's something you like, go for it since you're ordering it custom. Mine did not come with this center console, unfortunately.

Joe

#3 ·
I have a 8 seater 1LT FWD with a 7 year/70,000 mile extended platinum warranty that cost $2000.00. Think having a extended warranty is good to have considering it's the first year the Traverse came out. Your price could be a little more because of AWD and rear camera ect. Hope this info helps.

#4 ·
mihalich said:
1) I love the way the second row captains chairs slide and collapse forward. People can so easily get into the 3rd row. If you haven't seen the way they collapse, check out the configuration on a traverse at your dealer. It's not the traditional thing where the backrest folds down, and then the seat tips up. It's much easier, quicker. And if you don't want to mess with that, someone can climb in and walk through the center of the two chairs to the 3rd row.
Thanks Joe for the reply. We for sure have checked out both the 8 and 7 seater (and in fact our current Pontiac Montana is a 7 seater) and we found that both configurations are equally easy to collapse and slide forward. When my boys were smaller they could squeeze their legs in and permit someone to pass in front of them and then that person could walk *between* the captain's chairs to the 3rd row (in our Montana). But now that they are 'big' teenagers there is no way they can let someone to the 3rd row w/o first getting out of the car themselves...well maybe they could swing their legs wide to the outside, door open and then someone could squeeze by and down between the captains :-\.

But in any event I would imagine that the captain seats are more comfortable than the bench.

mihalich said:
2) That is, unless you have factory center console. This thing is like a monster storage box.
We wont get this option (to save money and to allow access through to the 3rd row if we get the 7 seater)

Joe as you also have the 1LT and AWD...just as we plan to get, I am wondering what other options you have. I was so hoping to 'move up' and get the heated and cooled seats :thumb: but we are unable to afford this option and AWD :-[ . I am considering AWD as a safety feature which we will 'buy'.

#5 ·
sonny320 said:
I have a 8 seater 1LT FWD with a 7 year/70,000 mile extended platinum warranty that cost $2000.00. Think having a extended warranty is good to have considering it's the first year the Traverse came out. Your price could be a little more because of AWD and rear camera ect. Hope this info helps.
Although this is the first year I am hoping that being a Lambda platform, which has been out for several years with the Outlook and Acadia, will reduce the # of first year problems in the Traverse.

Btw, is the AWD systems covered by the built in 5 year 100k mile Drivetrain warranty?

#6 ·
We have the rear camera and audible sensors. It's a nice feature...but I find myself still not trusting it after having it for a couple of months. I don't know why since it's showing me really how close I am...it just takes getting used to.

I did not even look at the bench seat in the 2nd row to see how it collapsed or moved forward to let people into the second row, so i don't really know how it compares to what I have.

The other option that came with mine was the 'California Package'. This basically consisted of the 20" wheels, and dual exhaust. The car rides nice with the large wheels. Though, I notice the speedometer is off from what the cruise control says it's set at, by 1mph. Not sure if that's cuz of the wheels or not. I have to ask the dealer next time I'm in.

Other than that, it's a standard 1LT.

I noticed when you start the car up, and start driving, at about 15mph, there's a very suttle clunking noise/feel for a second in the front. You can feel it in the gas pedal. It's consistent, so I assume it's part of the all wheel drive system initializing, or some other computer controlled system initializing. Just something to note. Don't know if anyone else has noticed the same thing.

Joe

#7 ·
Oh, and I did get the extended warranty. I got the 5 year / 75K extended warranty. I think I payed around $1400 for it. They told me it was dealer cost for it. I usually keep my cars around 5-6 years. I don't even think I do 12K miles a year, so that should cover me fine.

Joe

#8 ·
Remember remote start is only available on 2LT and higher trim levels from the factory. I know there has been some confusion on this. 7 passenger is also standard on 2LT. Center console is only available on LTZ.

#9 ·
danthechevyman said:
Remember remote start is only available on 2LT and higher trim levels from the factory.
Hi Dan,

I am looking at the Chevy Traverse brochure under MECHANICAL and it shows that the Vehicle starter system-remote is not available on the LS, optional on the 1LT and standard on the 2LT and LTZ.

And going online right now to "Build and Price" i.e. http://configurator.autodata.gm.ca/GMCanada/buildYourVehicle.html one is able to select the remote start for a 1LT model.

#10 ·
It might be different in Canada, I tried to build one in auto book and it would not let me select remote start in fact was not even listed as an option. This the program we use to order vehicles also tried to locate none in the US at least.

#11 ·
First, 7 vs 8-way seating: Pure preference on your part IMO. Our boy 5 and girl 7 require seperated bucket seats (bench seating=WAR). Tri-zone heating/cooling to the very back was something we looked for since it has been very nice to have in our 5-yr-old venture extended length minivan (I get third row seating when the mother-in-law is in town and the hatchback is my door. Very comfortable for the time I am back there (better than the dog house). Plus, I cannot hear what the women are talking about up front.

Second, Extended Warrenty: My dealer tried to pressure sell it (you can only get GMS pricing on the ext warrenty with dealer submitting purchase paperwork - bull). Took other forum advice and went to www.gmoutlet.com and did my pricing there. Met my dealers so-called GMS pricing. Very nice people to talk too. Did not buy yet though... keep reading... For FWD, your class type is C and for AWD your class type is D. Choose "GMPP Discounted Prices" on left side of screen. Click on "GMPP Major Guard Pricing". Follow step 2 and either click on "GMPP Major Guard Class C" (FWD) or "GMPP Major Guard Class D" (AWD). Choose the plan that best meets your needs. Remember that the mileage starts with your PRESENT mileage and your years start with your current VEHICLE AGE (not your original purchase date). So for example, if you are at 3,456 miles and a vehicle age of 11months old when you buy the 7 yr 56k mi plan, then you actually have until 56k+3456 miles and 7 yrs + 11 months on your plan.

I have checked with these folks and they say that GM NORMALLY does yearly price increases either in the beginning of sept or oct. There was another unusual price increase this past jan which suprised the dealership. You get this "new pricing" as long as your vehicle is (a) under 12k miles and (b) less than 1 year old. So, I am not in an immediate hurry to decide when or if I will do it (other than to decide for this year no later than the end of august for sure).

Hope this helps.

#12 ·
Thanks for the detailed reply t4me..much appreciated.

Just to confirm I am reading the table right. For a brand new AWD Traverse $0 deductible 60 months/60k miles the list price is $1335 and sell price is $880? And which price or would it be between the two that one would pay...to the dealer? And mileage aside this extra warranty covers one the 2 years beyond the factory 3 year? I wonder if there is a similar listing for Canada?

#13 ·
You would pay this specific gm dealer (www.gmoutlet.com) $880.00 U.S. dollars. This is their discounted price for buying through them. They tell me the list of $1335 would be what your dealer starts with and decides where to go from here. Keep in mind this dealer has honestly stated that they are still making money off the $880 or they would not be selling it at that price. So, It should at least give U.S. folks an idea of what a dealer can do (although a dealer may not want to meet these prices for whatever reason). And these U.S. folks are a registered to sell this GMPP so there should be no problem with any U.S. dealer accepting. I have no clue how the Canadian operations work.

#14 ·
Also keep in mind this is NOT a gm page. This dealer designed this for their own visibility. So we should be thanking them for coming out of hiding behind that business manager's desk and at least giving us all a clue. Let me know if anyone has any more accurate info than this even. Really just stumbled over it in another forum....

#15 ·
Opps. Did not answer the last question in there... yes.. the 60 months really is only extending your existing 3 yr warrenty by 2 years. If you were to buy the ext warrenty when your vehicle was 2yrs and 11 months old (make sure you do not exceed 3 years OR 36k miles since you CANNOT get the GMPP after either one of those limitations are met!) and say 21,456 mi were on it, you would use table B (again, assuming you are under 24k miles otherwise if >24k and <36k, use table C) instead of table A. Your list for that is $2135 and your price is $1660. Double the price pretty much that you are considering today. However, that would take you to 2yrs 11months + 5 years or 21,456 mi + 60k miles (whichever comes first). If you are driving this into the ground, you then would pretty much know your expenses. The issue to consider long long term is do you lock in the current price for 2 extra years (as you said 3 of the 5 years are under warrenty) or suffer through 2 years of price increases to lock in a full five years of extended warrenty. Keep in mind this is a new vehicle and I am sure GM is looking very closely at any potential recalls (that might not be recalls to the public) as well as dealer warranty repair numbers, trying to get a handle themselves on what true risk they might have with this brand new model. Again, we all understand that the house (GM) makes the rules and as such they expect most of the time never to lose. Some of us though would much rather the house win than have to endure unexpected or one-off repairs that can kill the budget. My reasoning for talking about waiting 2 years is this - If you really want your monies worth - as opposed to just protecting yourself in years 4 and 5 from out-of-warrenty repairs, your real wear-and-tear repairs will probably not start in earnest until years 7 or 8 (we hope). GM knows that and will charge us for that. So pay them now for 3 years of warrenty that you do not really need or pay them much more later for work that you and they both expect. Ya pays ya money and ya takes ya chances. Role those dice...

#16 ·
t4me said:
My reasoning for talking about waiting 2 years is this - If you really want your monies worth - as opposed to just protecting yourself in years 4 and 5 from out-of-warrenty repairs, your real wear-and-tear repairs will probably not start in earnest until years 7 or 8 (we hope). GM knows that and will charge us for that. So pay them now for 3 years of warrenty that you do not really need or pay them much more later for work that you and they both expect. Ya pays ya money and ya takes ya chances. Role those dice...
Again a superb detailed reply :thumb:

And that is the essence of the dilemma. And I just know that 2 years and 11 months from the date of purchase I for sure will be able to think of other things to spend so much money on ..other than extending a warranty. And it is probably easier to get the dealer to come down in price on the ext. warranty at the time of purchase as you have leverage over him at that point as obviously you are buying a vehicle at the same time.

We do drive our cars into the ground. First family car, a Corolla, we kept 14 years. Second car, an Eagle Summit, we kept 13 years. And finally the current Montana which has been by far the most trouble of the 3, will be replace by a Traverse, has barely last 9 years.

#17 ·
My issue is that the pricing will be better at 2yrs 11months for years 6-8 than if I get the 5 years now and decide to re-up (paying the $100 option fee?) for years 6-8 at 4 yrs 11months. So, in effect what we are both saying is, if you only want years 4-5 (and thus are expecting out-of-warrenty warrenty-type repairs or poor-quality repairs), then definitely bite the bullet now. However, if you are looking past year 5 towards years 7+ wanting to minimize real danger long long long term, then it probably makes some sense to wait. Of course, if we all did not need our money banked for health care supplimental expenses, we could just bank the money we spend on this warrenty and hope our repairs are never the disasterous ones that would exceed this amount (put in an awesome cd or even say, treasury bonds HA). We just have so many options available to us. Do we want to go for the root canal or the colonoscopy?

#20 ·
Hey, Copper --

I know I'm coming late to this party :cheers: but here's my 2 cents, for what it's worth:
7 vs 8 seating: I'd go with 8, because, A. money you save not buying -1 seat can go toward extended warranty. B. when you 2 parents + the 4 teens are all in, with the 8-seater, you still have room for another couple, or two of their friends, not just one person. [OOOPS! I just now saw your later post - about the Gold Mist color being unavailable - saying you've already ordered the 7-seater. Oh, well, later than I thought. :drunk:]

Ext. warranty: I hate buying them, and with my Hyundai's 10-year standard warranty, I didn't need to. But I can see why some feel they are a necessary evil expense, and T4me's advice was great.
However, I'd also urge you to check with your insurance company -- because, face it, once you strip away all the gold-plated marketing terms all you're really buying/getting is insurance against major mechanical problems.
Not only do the insurance company offerings cost a LOT less, but you pay for them as you go -- not hundreds of dollars up front.
They also tend to cover more items than most warranties and give you less of a hassle on claims.
Also you can wait for nearly 15 months of ownership or 15k miles before buying it.
Yes, there is a catch: The repair deductibles will be mostly higher (except for glass). So once again, it's still somewhat of a gamble on how often you anticipate you'll need the coverage.
I have Geico, so I'll be getting it's MBI plan at some point.

Anyway, I hope this was worth your time.
Good luck!
DD

#22 ·
Something to remember: Extended warranties are VERY negotiable. Always talk them down. Especially now that GM covers the engine for so much longer now. I got a 8 year 80K warranty for my wifes HHR for $1000. They wanted $3000 for it, but I told them my bank was offering better. They asked, and that's what I told them. The price from the bank was actually higher, but I couldn't recall at the time. Turned out good for me.

I didn't get the warranty with my Trav, because I'm not sure I want to own it more than the 5 year 100,000 mile engine warranty. And one thing to know about 3rd party Extended warranties: They don't have to use new parts on your vehicle. Read the fine print and talk to your shop about that. It's amazing what they are required to do by these 3rd parties. It might make you sick...

#23 ·
Narg said:
Something to remember: Extended warranties are VERY negotiable. Always talk them down. Especially now that GM covers the engine for so much longer now.
For sure. I guess I was a bit slow as when *I* realized that getting a...5 year/60k miles GMPP for say...$1100 plus tax: these monies are for only 2 years beyond the included 3 year and doesnt need to cover the drivetrain. It is alot of money when you think about it like that.

#24 ·
Copperbeech, agree totally (not that I want to make a habit of agreeing with a Maple Leaf fan). In all my typing I forgot to comment on the 5 yr drivetrain warranty! I have always been more concerned about years 7+ and how durable the parts are in the Traverse. Like I said though, at 2 years 11months and 29 days, we will need to make our final decision on GMPP (assuming you do not go over 36k miles before then) as there will be NO going back after that. Otherwise, anything after that time will be a third-party warranty that may or may not be what you intended in the first place.

(As an unrelated aside, at least you have the comfort of knowing my Sabres will be eliminated from the playoffs before they start). Enjoy the ride (so to speak).

#25 ·
#26 ·
Copperbeech, At least the Sabres do have Rick Jeanneret (however we lost Ted Darling). I still had hair when most of those plays happened. Watching that is sort of like you watching clips of Don Cherry commenting on the gutsy play and leadership of Daryll Sutter ON THE ICE. Back to good car talk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.