Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have been looking for a Traverse for about a month now, and I think we are going to end up ordering one to be done with it. I just wanted to get some feedback on what you guys think about the 7 or 8 passenger seating option.

I'm sort of partial to the captain's chair in the second row, however, the wife feels that the second row bench seat would be better for our 4 month old and his car seat. I really don't know if it is better to have a bench seat for an infant, or if the captain's chairs are safe for a car seat. Also, I have seen videos for the captain's chairs to fold down to get to the third row. . . what is the bench seat like? Is it a 60/40 split, or does the whole bench fold forward. Thanks for any input you may have.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Captains chairs are perfectly safe for a car seat. They have the LATCH anchors in them as well.

One question - are you guys planning on having more kids? Only reason I ask, is if you have two car seats in the second row bench seat, you'd have to take one out to fold down the seat to get access to the third row. With car seats in the two captains chairs, you can at least squeeze in in front of one of them and get to the back through the center aisle. We were dead set on an 8 passenger one, until we actually looked at them and figured out we'd be screwed with the bench seat and two car seats.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
186 Posts
the bench is 60/40 , and slides and flips forward to access the third row on both sides. there are also LATCH anchors in all six rear seating positions, as far as I know. IMHO, I would take a car seat to the dealership, and try it out in both models, and see what works best for you. Good Luck! ;D

·
Registered
66 Posts
staciesbaby said:
the bench is 60/40 , and slides and flips forward to access the third row on both sides. there are also LATCH anchors in all six rear seating positions, as far as I know. IMHO, I would take a car seat to the dealership, and try it out in both models, and see what works best for you. Good Luck! ;D
I believe there are actually only two per row, aren't there? Maybe I'm misremembering, but we have three kids and one is in a car seat with the other two in boosters and we have to put the car seat in a side seat because the bench really isn't wide enough for three car seats unless you put them in very specific positions. The third row bench is even narrower.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
in the bench--- the outer seats have LATCH available. the middle position- requires the use of the belt to hold the seats.

this is with seat behind the driver- and infant in the middle.. the 40 portion can SLIDE allowing access to the 3rd row.
seat side does rub with the seat-- but not too bad.

seats side by side- Im expecting our 2nd in june- and was experimenting. note the big seat has an armrest that contacts the infant seat. it appears to be removable. so it would straighten out the big one..

If you dont like that setup-- than the big seat can go behind the passenger. thus allowing the 60 portion to slide.
the infant seat can be used in the 3rd row WITHOUT THE BASE. You have to use the seatbelt to fasten it down. does take a little getting used to.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
as for the 60-40 seating.
you can also see where the tethers are on the rear of the seatback in the last picture with all seats folded down (4 total)

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
and just to make it interesting-- so you get an idea of what can be done with the seats down/up
this was the other day.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We only have one child, and do not plan on having another at this time. I wasn't sure as to how the seat came forward, but now that I see how the bench seat is 60/40 and will still allow easy access to the third row I don't find it as bad. I still like the chairs better, but can understand why the wife wants what she does. So on the second row bench, the LATCH system is only behind the passenger or driver, and not in the middle?

I think the chairs would be more comfortable than the bench, and our boy isn't going to be in a car seat forever. I just figured since we are ordering, we might as well get exactly what we want. We just need to figure out what that is. All the dealer had was 7 passenger versions, so I haven't seen the bench seat in person. My wife just likes the idea of having the baby in the middle. Not sure why she thinks it isn't as safe behind the passenger or driver.

rbarrios- what is that cover you have laid down over the seats in your last image? I really like that, and would like to get one once we get ours in.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
theres the latch on the outer seats of the 2nd row. thats what Ive used. I have not tried to use the belts in the outer seats as its easier to use the latch.. and the middle only has the belt. NO latch in the middle. Some people will say they use the latch from the outer seats for the middle-- but I was told by a CHP officer who did a seat install inspection- that using the latch for the middle- (by using the latch from the outers) is not recommended.

the cover is called canvasback. heres threads about it.. and they do make it for captains chairs too.
threads with more pics.

http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=599.0
http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=1001.0
http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=1561.0

·
Registered
66 Posts
jfdpratt said:
My wife just likes the idea of having the baby in the middle. Not sure why she thinks it isn't as safe behind the passenger or driver.
I've read in lots of places that the middle is the safest place because of potential side impacts.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
hehe--- this is a feature we LOVE!!!
you can also change the baby while youre sitting in the 3rd row- and hes on the 2nd row laying down-- for those that are in very cold weather...
But this is so much better than laying the baby on the tailgate area.

·
Registered
407 Posts
AA: thanks for posting that crash video, I hadn't seen that one before. Only the front offset crash video. Very cool. You know, we all get caught up in all the drama over things that break, or don't work properly on the Lambdas, but when you really get down to it, these vehicle are designed VERY well in regards to safety. I'm confident we would all survive most accidents out there, and that's the most important thing. As for the airbags doing their job, there ARE sensors that warn if the system detects it's not working, or not going to work properly, so I think that's an important thing that's built in to each Lambda. As much as we (myself included) whine about the newer technology not always working....when it does work, which is most likely 99% of the time, it's amazing what's involved in not only crash protection, but crash avoidance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have 2 kids (6yrs & 2yrs) and I've owned a 2009 w/ 2nd row bench and now I have 2nd row captains. I hated the bench because I wanted easy access to the 2nd row. Love the captains, as an adult I can move around in the back of the car. Adults can easily get to the 3rd row. My 2yr old rides in one of the captains in her carseat and my 6yr in the 3rd row. Works great for us!!

A

·
0 Posts
There is a lot of safety and technology built into these vehicles and I feel very safe riding and driving in one :thumb:

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
jsandgirl said:
I have 2 kids (6yrs & 2yrs) and I've owned a 2009 w/ 2nd row bench and now I have 2nd row captains. I hated the bench because I wanted easy access to the 2nd row. Love the captains, as an adult I can move around in the back of the car. Adults can easily get to the 3rd row. My 2yr old rides in one of the captains in her carseat and my 6yr in the 3rd row. Works great for us!!
ohhh- someone thats owned both.. thats for the input.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Something I haven't seen mentioned is if you want to fold down all the rear seats for loading the cargo area, the bench seat allows more floor area for packing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Re: Re: 7 or 8 Passenger Seating

Being a state trooper, and well versed in the seat belt world, I think the captains chairs would be your best bet. Without the latch system in the middle of the middle row bench, the child seat would have more side movement in a crash, depending on the vigorousness you secure it. The latch system is not designed to stretch like a standard seat belt, and would be more secure. The side curtain airbags are designed to deploy above a car seat, and I have never seen one cause injury to a child in a seat on the far right or left.

Our son is 10 now, but when we travel with friends with kids in car seats, I always put them in the captains chairs with the latch system. Far safer that way. Your wife probably wants the kid in the middle so she can see and reach better while moving.

BTW, the captains chairs fold down and make a great changing table too. Or you could use the third row fold down if its a big, messy job. If that's the case, the canvasback cover would come in handy ;-)

Just my 2 cents if it helps your decision making....

Sent from my Captivate using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 37 Posts