Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with the 3M clear film used to protect the front of the car. I wondering if this is a possible DIY project.

·
Registered
40 Posts
No, I don't think we (as normal folk)have the tools for this. I believe there is a computer that cuts the film to your bumper dimensions and then an experienced expert puts it on.

While I guess you could buy the film and have a shop cut it for you, I'm not sure I'd be willing to tackle that puppy with no experience.

BTW, I am getting this done to the front bumper and mirrors on the 30th :thumb:

My friend had this done on his infiniti g37 and it looks flawless. You cannot tell its there.

·
Registered
186 Posts
who does this? custom shops? body shops? can u post a link? sounds interesting... :confused:

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
thanks alot for the info...i'm a little concerned about removal after being on for a long time-is it going to take off my paint also? and, will it "yellow" after a period of time? most clear plastics do.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I believe the film comes with a warranty (10 year?) It will not yellow and it also allows the UV rays to go through (so that your paint will fade evenly across the entire car).

It is removable so that if its worn excessively after being pummeled by road debris for years, you can reveal the protected paint underneath (such as for a resale).

One person told me that they'll shoot BBs at this stuff (on a car) to show off its durability. There might be a youtube video of it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
do you mind sharing what you were quoted? I just made a few calls, found a local shop that does it. He told me that there is no kit for a traverse yet (b/s, i guess) , and if there was, it would be about $725 to do the job. to this I say NO FREAKING WAY !!! Also, on the 3M website, they suggest doing the mirrors, fender tips, etc...anything subject "frontally" to the wind...are you getting all this done?

·
Registered
186 Posts
sorry...just re-read that you are doing the mirrors...duh

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I had the protective film applied to our 2010 LTZ by an outside detail shop.

He sells several product lines including 3M and Avery Dennison brand. On his recommendation, I went with the Avery Dennison brand for the life time warranty and what he said is a better product. He custom installs by placing a sheet where it will cover and than cuts and trims for an exact fit. He is able to "wrap" in many places, something the pre-cut versions I saw at other places wont cover. There is a big difference between the pre-cut and custom fit applications, custom fit being superior in my opinion.

I checked with about 5 different places, and prices ranged from 600.00 (lowest and pre-cut) to 1400.00 (highest and surprisingly also pre-cut!).

I ended up paying

Front bumper 395.00
18" Hood coverage and fenders 275.00
Mirrors 70.00

You do have to use a non-yellowing wax on the product after it is applied. I used Mequiars's NXT on the film and car, and it looks fantastic. It's about 5 months old and looks great. No bubbles, lifting edges, etc. Bugs and road debris wipe right off and NOT A SINGLE CHIP anywhere. I could not imagine the front end of this Traverse in a year or two with no protection.

As a side note, the Buick Rendezvous which was replaced by this LTZ had just had the windshield replaced 8 months before because of a rock hitting it. One month before buying the LTZ the Rendezvous took another rock hit, and left a big chip in the windshield.

The detail shop which I bought the paint protection film from was just starting a new promotion for a new product. It is a film protector for the windshield. I purchased that also, and have been hit with stones and rocks and nothing chipped yet! His shop is the only one in the Dallas area which is licensed to carry and install this new film for the windshield.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I did my LT1 alittle over a month now from a place in scarbrough ontario ... they were pretty good installing it and warranty was good as well
. So far no issues with peeling or discoloring. he also said doing the bumpper wasn't a good idea incase some
one bumps or i bump just because thats not covered... plus its plastic. But he would do it if i wanted.

Hood
Fenders
Mirrors
Headlights

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is a web site for the kit. i may order the mirror kit to see how the film goes on
Put the www in front I can't put in a link

invisiblemask.com/site.html

·
Registered
465 Posts
I also had the front bumper, 2/3 of hood covered, mirrors , front fender and a piece in front of the rear wheel that's prone to paint errosion.
My installer specializes in this apply and also suggested to go with the Avery plastic film , it is all a customized fit, no cuts seams on the bumper just one smooth piece just like glass .
I have the Red metallic paint and this film is just seamless , you have to look very close to see the edge of the plastic film, no color distortion at all.

The Avery is much better than the 3M , it's thinner and stronger , more durable and is what alot of high end sports cars it. ;D Bullet proof and worth the money. ;)
I got all of this done for $600 , i had to talk him down from 750 , again worth every dollar . :thumb:

·
Registered
186 Posts
hey cart - i'm waiting for another local 3M installer to get back to me with a quote, and he won't sell me the product...checked out the invisible mask link...AWESOME!!!...can do whole front end for, like, $260, with free shipping, installation DVD, and install kit (squeegees, etc.). And rbarrios - checked out the $16.00 e-bay kit, and researched it a bit...its only 6.5 mil thick, and supposedly garbage...don't think i would take the chance

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just had mine done. They did the entire nose of the car including about 18" of the front hood, the headlights, mirrors, the finger wells of all the door handles, and the edges of all the doors to prevent parking lot dings.

They really covered everything in the front, including removing and doing under the licence plate holder...I was really suprised to see they had done the door edges. Really good job too, you really have too look closely to see the thing. Looking at the mirrors I can't even see the coating at all, the only way I know it's there is by lightly digging my nail into it...

Kg

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just had mine done yesterday (11/09/10)...
My parts guy at the dealership recommended (and I went with) the Xpel Protection Film. It comes with a 7 year guarantee, but I'm hoping it will last longer than that.
They did a real nice job, covering all the areas mentioned above. Without knowing it was done, I don't think anyone else would be able to tell where it is / isn't applied.
Every summer I've been driving between Arizona and Nebraska, and I'm hoping this will save a lot of damage like I'd gotten on my previous car (2003 CTS).
The cost to get this done was $700, which is a little pricey, but I wasn't about to try doing it myself!
Wish me luck!

- Jamesmyboy

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
getting mine done tomorrow for 550 on my 2011 traverse looking forward to it.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
got the venture sheild put on my traverse and im very happ with how it came out very nice job thus far.

·
Registered
75 Posts
84camino - can't wait to see it. Send pictures.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts