Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those 2nd Gen owners who may not have seen this yet.

This started happening to mine 3 weeks ago. I went to the dealer who said they had fixed it.

Had to return a second time to the dealer because this time I couldn't get it to stop at all.

A service technician came over, pulled on the shift-lock moved the shifter a bit and it stopped beeping.

They ordered a new shifter assembly and replace it last Friday. Guess what happened when I got home... yep! did it again.

I recorded a video so that everyone at the dealership that needs to know will be able to see it themselves.

Just sent an email to the service manager with a link to the video and asked him to call when they are ready for me again.

Here is the link to the video. Thought some of you would like to see it. For those to whom it's happened already, this will be very familiar.

https://youtu.be/7MY1-epbTt0

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:

Took it to the dealership Tuesday because I couldn't get it to stop beeping, nor turn the power off.

The dealer's shop foreman tried to make it stop but he couldn't. They took it away and told me that they would have to order a complete shift assembly instead of just the new shift lever that they installed previously.

They provided me with a rental (2019 Colorado) until it gets fixed.

They did not provide me with an estimated time of repair.

The shop foreman did say that they have had to replace a number of these shift assemblies on the new Acadias and Terrains in the last few months. They all displayed the same symptoms as seen on the Traverse.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Not had this problem on mine.....even with all the shifts through the full range to use of L9.

But the posts on this are making me nuts. Tried to shut down yesterday and the DIC flashed the dreaded "Shift to Park" and the first thing that entered my mind was "Oh $hit...." - that was until I realized the lever was still in Neutral.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
GM should return to the direct rod linkage like the Gen 1. We all know that the old proved system was much better than the new fly by wire system.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
GM should return to the direct rod linkage like the Gen 1. We all know that the old proved system was much better than the new fly by wire system.
"It’s not always right to retain an old technology just because it works, but by the same token, it’s not always right to adopt a new one simply because it exists."

Frederic D. Schwarz​

·
Registered
1,686 Posts

These systems are exactly what they were designed to be.....money makers for the manufacturers. Cheaper to manufacture; more proprietary to diagnose, and more expensive to repair. They are designed to force owners to return to the dealer for repairs rather than local service stations who are over their heads trying to cope with all the new innovations being introduces each year. But the joke is on us because not all dealers have the staff to send for company training to diagnose new tech problems, nor expend thousands for the new test equipment. Only way to properly test a computer operated accessory is with another computerized tester. Turns everybody into code readers and parts swappers - and manufacturers make the big bucks in proprietary replacement parts who keep getting smarter and instead of supplying individual repair parts, require modular replacements.

Fly by wire wasn't enough - on to the next scam - no more cheap R134a refrigerant - switched to R1234yf currently going over $100 lb (that's $400 worth of gas added to whatever replacement parts are needed for the refrigerant system - evap replacement for $2k now $2.4K) with a bonus that it is flammable and can toast you in a flaming wreck.

Curtrent Traverse is the best riding, driving, with most creature convenience Chevys I've ever driven. Wouln't trade for any of the previous Chevys I've owned over the past 50 years - But I'm not kidding myself - these modern thin walled, poorly painted, cheapo upholstered, eco friendly crapboxes are not designed to be kept past the bumper to bumper without risking a major money, time and aggravation consuming adventure. Manufacturers will either make their money when traded for a new crapbox or bleed you for repairs on the old one.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update...

The Traverse has been in the Dealership"s service department parking lot for two weeks and not a peep from the dealership.

Called the service advisor who told me that the part was on order and that they would contact me when it arrives. But she never contacted the parts department to inquire about the delay.

So I called the parts department who checked their special order list to GM and no response back from GM. So the parts guy called GM and was told that there are not shifter assemblies anywhere. They are waiting for a manufacturer to produce some and if I'm lucky, I'll be in the early deliveries.

So, I guess no Traverse for the vacation season. :crying:

To think that everything was going so smoothly with the Traverse after 18 months... oh well, shift happens; or not. :wink:

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Update...

The Traverse has been in the Dealership"s service department parking lot for two weeks and not a peep from the dealership.

Called the service advisor who told me that the part was on order and that they would contact me when it arrives. But she never contacted the parts department to inquire about the delay.

So I called the parts department who checked their special order list to GM and no response back from GM. So the parts guy called GM and was told that there are not shifter assemblies anywhere. They are waiting for a manufacturer to produce some and if I'm lucky, I'll be in the early deliveries.

So, I guess no Traverse for the vacation season. :crying:

To think that everything was going so smoothly with the Traverse after 18 months... oh well, shift happens; or not. :wink:

Did his lips move when he told you that? Easy enough top confirm what he says Go to

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-parts/2018/chevrolet/traverse/premier-trim/3-6l-v6-gas-engine/automatic-transmission-cat/gear-shift-control-scat

The item, is a special order part, but if you contact their customer service at
[email protected]

and they will check to see if one is in their warehouse and if not whether or not really back ordered nationwide. Trust, but verify!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Did his lips move when he told you that? Easy enough top confirm what he says Go to

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-parts/2018/chevrolet/traverse/premier-trim/3-6l-v6-gas-engine/automatic-transmission-cat/gear-shift-control-scat

The item, is a special order part, but if you contact their customer service at [email protected]

and they will check to see if one is in their warehouse and if not whether or not really back ordered nationwide. Trust, but verify!
Maybe the parts guy meant not available in Canada. In any case, I'll give your links a call tomorrow and maybe we can get some shipped from the US

Here is the GM Parts World Site for Canada. No stock or price: https://www.gmpartsworld.ca/auto-parts/2018/chevrolet/traverse/premier-trim/3-6l-v6-gas-engine/automatic-transmission-cat/gear-shift-control-scat

Thanks for the links Thomcat,

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update:

Looks like I'm "up shift's creek"

Called GM Parts World in Canada, they confirmed that there are no shifter assemblies for the 2018/2019 Traverse anywhere in Canada.

Called GM Parts Direct in the US and they confirmed that there are no shifter assemblies for the 2018/2019 Traverse anywhere in the USA.

Both say that they are waiting for a manufacturer to produce and ship units across North America.

Unless GM comes-up with a temporary fix, it may be weeks or months before I get my Traverse back.

I pray that this doesn't happen to anyone else.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No loaner car offered to you during all of this? It's obviously not safe to drive or even possible to drive.
They provided me with a rental. Initially they rented a Colorado LT but took it back because it was broken. Now I have a 2019 Hyundai Sonata.

It's a far cry from a Traverse Premier Redline, but at least I'm not on foot.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
And cheaper on gas than the Traverse. A bonus.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And cheaper on gas than the Traverse. A bonus.
Indeed!

It's actually not a bad little car. This is the Sports edition and comes very well equipped. Leather sports seat, sunroof, power everything. Dual Sports exhaust, double clutch system, multi-mode transmission, paddle shift and a peppy Turbo engine. On the outside it has a sports theme with special alloy wheels, special grill, rear and side skirts and front air dam.

I think I would buy one as a second car if I needed another vehicle.

Tomorrow I'll go to the dealership and see if they have any of the shifter assemblies that they removed recently. Maybe by examining it closely, there might be a way to make a temporary fix until the new part comes-in.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Tomorrow I'll go to the dealership and see if they have any of the shifter assemblies that they removed recently. Maybe by examining it closely, there might be a way to make a temporary fix until the new part comes-in.
Went to dealer parts and discovered that they return the broken shifter assemblies to GM. The only way to examine one closely and attempt to do a temporary fix would be to do it on my own Traverse. Of course, they said that if I tampered with the shift assembly it would void the warranty on that part.

Oh well, thought I would try. Guess I'll have to wait.

Below are some pictures I found on Ebay for a used shifter 2018 Traverse shifter assembly. Access to the switches appears cumbersome from looking at the pictures.

BTW, on the picture shift the lever is currently in the "Park" position. The slimmer portion point towards the front. The transmission cable attaches to the front of the shifter assembly.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
If it will be the case ask them to give you a bigger car if you need. Back to 1972 I waited 3 months for parts coming from England. I must have put on the loaner 5000 miles. When the part arrived and installed in the differential the problem was still there. Whining from the gears.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently had to have shifter replaced in 2018 Summit White Traverse for the same problem. Luckily part was available. I called ahead and service department ordered part on Wednesday, I took it in on Friday and it was done the same day. Good luck with getting yours repaired.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I recently had to have shifter replaced in 2018 Summit White Traverse for the same problem. Luckily part was available. Good luck with getting yours repaired.
Some dealers may still have the new improved model shifters in stock (#13528229), but the GM parts distribution centers appears to be out of stock.

There are still some original versions of the shifter available (#13520831); unfortunately, these are the ones that may break.

I'm happy to hear that you were able to get yours fixed quickly.

Thanks for the words of support!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update:

After 21 days, they finally fixed my Traverse.

No hellos, chit-chat, no sorries that it took so long; just handed-out the keys and said that it was parked outside.

I was just fuming at the extremely poor service I receive from this dealership's service department. Out of 5 scheduled visits in the past 18 months, only 1 occurred correctly. That was an oil change were I just dropped the vehicle at 7:30 am and return at 4:30 pm to collect it.

For the other visit, I would usually wait in the shop because it was just supposed to be short oil changes.

- one visit the mechanic left the shop without telling anyone. After a couple hours and dropped by the service desk and said that the keys were not back so the car wasn't ready yet. An hour later I came back and they again said that the key were not back and it probably isn't ready yet. I had to force the service advisor to check with the mechanic to see what the delay was. That when they discovered the mechanic missing. After waiting for 4 hours, they gave me a free wash, vacuum and detailing voucher.

- Next oil change I was waiting for my Traverse again... Same scenario as before, the kets aren't back so the mechanic isn't finished. After another 4 hours and much insistence on my part, the service advisor finally checks with the mechanic. It turns-out that the mechanic was just holding on to the keys until lunch time at which time he was going to bring them to the service desk. Just got a sorry on that one.

- Easter Monday, drop by for an oil change. The service advisor check the file and says that I hadn't had a wheel alignment yet and asked if I wanted one. I was on vacation and didn't mind waiting the extra hour, so I said sure. Same scenario as above, after checking with the service desk a few times during the morning, they tell me that the wheel alignments are falling behind and offer to drive me home and pick me up at the end of the day. When I come back at 4:30 pm my alignment still hasn't been done. Neither did anyone else's. Turns-out the wheel alignment guys were on vacation. Got a voucher for a free wheel alignment at a later date.

- then there was 3 visits for this issue and finally the long wait. During the whole 3 weeks, never did the service advisor call to give me an update. I found-out that the part had arrived before the service advisor. I had call the advisor to let her know that the part had arrived. How sad is that...

Sorry for the long post and thanks for giving me a chance to vent.

I'll be writing a long letter to the dealership management to advise them that their service department needs a bit of "customer service" refresher training.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wow, that's really sorry to hear. A lot of the dealerships, or at least the service centers, that I've been to, the person at the service desk is usually the senior mechanic that's worked their way up to that spot. So they usually know the time it takes to perform a certain task and if it's running behind. And they usually have no problem running around back to see what the hold up is or your spot on the queue to be started on next.

That sounds like the person up front is literally just an office worker performing appt and scheduling tasks, plus intake, with zero communication or knowledge on the actual work being done.

Hopefully the dealer offers more than a cookie cutter apology and statement that they'll do better and are always looking to hear concerns and comments from their customers.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts