Traverse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody running 276/65r18s? It's time for a new set of tires, and I have a brand new set that came with a truck I bought. I would like to run them. Looks like they are 1" taller and .79" wider. Post pics please if you have any.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
These will certainly rub on the front plastic liner when you turn your wheels. 255 65r 18 is the size you should use. You will get all kinds of issues with these monster truck tires including wrong spedometer speed on your odometer, etc. Etc............

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will get all kinds of issues with these monster truck tires including wrong spedometer speed on your odometer, etc. Etc............
Not so sure I would consider 32 in tires "monster truck tires". I ran 39 in tires on a Toyota 4runner.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
The oe tires are already very close to the struts. Just checked on mine and you get aprx less than 5/8 inch before it touch the side of the strut holding spring cup. this is for 255/65r18. I think you can forget it.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
What about recalibrating the speedometer/odometer for the different tire circumference? Will a dealer/custom tune be able to recalibrate......be a real PITA on a long trip or trying to keep at the at speed limit with a slower running speedometer......."engine killer" OLM would be even more inaccurate.

Wonder if it can be compensated/recalibrated by the dealer or with a custom tune?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Check the actual height and width of the factory tires and compare it to the new tires. I worry more about width, both overall width and the width of the factory wheels. My 2018 came with 3-season 255/55R20 tires with a diameter of 31" and width of 10" and I replaced them with all-terrain 275/55/R20 tires that are 31.9" tall and 11.2" wide.

The 1 inch increase in width meant having the sides of the tires extend an additional 1/2 inch from the wheels and the additional 0.9" in height meant that the tires could have a radius that was 0.45" greater (and not going to affect anything).

Gearing with the 1" increase in diameter was changed by at most 3% so at 65 MPH on the speedometer the actual speed might be 67 mph. I noticed on my truck when I put on slightly larger tires that the speedometer was more accurate when carrying a load as it effectively reduced the height of the tires by about 3%.

There is not a lot of additional clearance with the Traverse wheel wells on the 2018 model and adding more than an inch of height or width is not something I would recommend doing.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Yes, only off by a factor of pi, or 3.1417...%.

Probably the equivalent differential in accuracy if I loaded my truck with rocks. But, I didn't purchase my truck with a pile of racks in the bed to get 100% accuracy on the speedometer/odometer. Point being, would someone want to purposely introduce a 3% error in the speedometer/odometer?

Evidently some States are more ecologically friendly than others. When I went through State run emissions testing before escaping the P.R. of MD they threw my vehicles on a treadmill and ran it up to 60 mph, but first they checked the exhaust system for the cat convertor, stuck a test cone in the gas filler and checked the VIN/model for the OEM tire size for the vehicle ......wrong tire size?.....you flunk, no sticker for you, go out and get a proper size tire/wheel combo before you return. Heard they discontinued treadmills after I left......created more jobs but resulted in incidents of cars flying off the treadmill and ruined too many cars, equipment and mag wheels/hubcaps.......good news is you pass, bad news is you need two new tires/wheels, radiator and hood and the rest of the poor suckers have to wait another hour in line to get on the remaining machine.......no sticker today, no car today!

Stock 20s work just fine and no bottoming out on the worst bumps and raised railroad crossings. Why would I want to spend money to lose 3% accuracy and substitute aggressive all terrain tires to make a smooth, quiet vehicle with a luxury ride run more like a friggen' Jeep? However, I often ride in rugged terrain and did buy set of tires specifically for that use, and the Z71 Silverado 4WD was attached.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Check the actual height and width of the factory tires and compare it to the new tires. I worry more about width, both overall width and the width of the factory wheels. My 2018 came with 3-season 255/55R20 tires with a diameter of 31" and width of 10" and I replaced them with all-terrain 275/55/R20 tires that are 31.9" tall and 11.2" wide.

The 1 inch increase in width meant having the sides of the tires extend an additional 1/2 inch from the wheels and the additional 0.9" in height meant that the tires could have a radius that was 0.45" greater (and not going to affect anything).
Looks like I would be pretty close to what you've got.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also wondering is this tire size worked. Being the 275 is the width and it’s the same sidewalk height I’d imagine it’s just slightly bigger of a tire

·
Registered
874 Posts
Also wondering is this tire size worked. Being the 275 is the width and it’s the same sidewalk height I’d imagine it’s just slightly bigger of a tire
I doubt the OP will return to this thread. You have the actual dimensions, get the tape out and measure to see if it will fit. Remember half of the difference in width and height is what you will see near the strut.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts