Traverse Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any thoughts on going w/ this size? i see alot available in this size but not in the oem 255/60/18. the 265 would be taller right? it seems i would have enough clearance. any thoughts on this???

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
Can someone around you get TOYO tires.
They make the OEM size in 18's.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rbarrios said:
Can someone around you get TOYO tires.
They make the OEM size in 18's.
probably, but those michelin latitudes rate really well. (at least according to tirerack surveys)

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
I second the motion for Michelins. They are a favourite of mine too! I'm hoping that they will have something in a couple years, when I need to change the tires!

·
Registered
381 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
bowtie said:
any thoughts on going w/ this size? i see alot available in this size but not in the oem 255/60/18. the 265 would be taller right? it seems i would have enough clearance. any thoughts on this???
Yes, a number of people have used that size and it is has cleared. The minimum clearance spot is at the top of the tire right where the inside corner of the tread clears the curved underside of the suspension strut. You can see that it is pretty tight there, but there is some clearance, about 1/4 inch, give or take a bit. The only thought I would add, is that if you were ever to consider using cable chains, and thats another discussion in itself with lots of opinions, as some of us do on an occasional ski trip or such, there will probably no longer be sufficient clearance. Probably not an issue, but you asked for thoughts.

·
Registered
718 Posts
If you're anywhere there is snow I would consider not going to a bigger size, as you need all the clearance you can get when the snow builds up in the wheel wells.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jwhjr said:
If you're anywhere there is snow I would consider not going to a bigger size, as you need all the clearance you can get when the snow builds up in the wheel wells.
well that is something i failed to think about, as i am definitely in the snow belt. i have an 09 civic that is absolutely horrible in this catagory.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Most of the 265/60-18" tires I checked out were abour 1/2" shorter than the stock 255/65 Forturas. Forturas are 31.1'' dia and the 265/60 seem to run 30.5" give or take a percent.

That will probably be the way I go when it is time to install new ones. I like the idea of a wider tread too since I'm always spinning the OEM ones.

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
Bayner66 said:
I'm always spinning the OEM ones.
Are you serious? either youre on snow, wet grass or lots of dirt--- cause you must really be stepping on the gas to spin the tires...

·
Registered
860 Posts
I'm guessing a FWD. Either way, lighten up on the throttle man...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Bayner66 said:
That will probably be the way I go when it is time to install new ones. I like the idea of a wider tread too since I'm always spinning the OEM ones.
Actually when it comes to spinning tires and traction in wet and snowy conditions, (other tire factors being equal), narrower is better than wider. A longer, narrower patch pushes down longer to clear water and bites better in the forward plane in snow. At a given tire pressure and load, the overall square inch area of a narrow tire and a wide tire's patch are the same. One is just long and narrow and the other shorter and wider, depending on the aspect ratio of the tire. On slippery surfaces it is better for the tire to have the longer patch which gives it more time to clear water or push deeper through snow. The wider patch more easily goes over the top resulting in hydroplaning or skid. It is not the same as a dragster on pavement....

·
Registered
860 Posts
I agree with Gerry here. A narrower tire will serve you better in ice and snow.

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Right on Gerry. I fully agree narrow is better for traction, except in Nascar! :p

Bayner66, how are you possibly spinning the tires all the time?? I have FWD and have only spun once in the rain, starting at a traffic light that was on an incline.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I don't spin the tires all the time but more than I ever did with my rear wheel drive Trailblazer. It is usually when I am turning out from a street or parking lot and give it a bit of gas to merge into the traffic. It always surprises me when it happens since I'm not trying to hot rod. That 3.61 transaxel ratio also plays a big part in the tire spin. As far as wider tires go, I don't have the snow problem---Houston, Tx---many of you have to worry about.

On a previously owned 2000 Tahoe I went up a size on tires and down a ratio resulting in a wider tread and shorter sidewall. The truck felt much more stable and the Michelins' I selected stopped much better than the oem tires. I noticed Chevy made that size tire standard a year or two later.

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
ahhhhhh anoher ex trailblazer owner....

i still have my 2003 with 157,000.
Ive never spun my tires on my Traverse..
The other day with some rain-- from a stop I tried to see what happens when I step on the gas a little harder... I was curious what it would take get traction control to come on... well it didnt take much and the light flashed... barely heard a slippage....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts