Traverse Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2021 Traverse completely shut off when we came to a stop at a red light. Nothing was on and the Hazard Light did not show as being on. We tried starting it several times, but nothing happened. We opened the hood, everything looked normal. After a few more tries everything went back to normal. We have driven over 100 miles since then and have not had a repeat problem. Has anyone encounter a similar event.

Thanks,

OscarF

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure I understand. The 2nd Gen Traverses have Stop/Start technology; it's SUPPOSED to shut off when you stop at a red light.

Maybe you need to provide more detail.
Everything turned off. Not just the engine cut off. No lights on the screen, nothing was on. When the engine cut off engages at a stop/red light, you still have lights on the screen and heat or ac, if one is on. We had nothing on for a brief period. We were able to start the car again after a brief period.

·
Super Moderator
2020 High Country
1,266 Posts
Possible bad internal connection in the battery. I've 3 fail in the last 20 years from that. Completely dead and even slamming the hood or door they would come back to life and function for days but then act up again.
Not a common failure but just my possible speculation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting. We will have it checked by a Chevrolet Dealer. We thank you so much for the reply and insight. Oscar
Go to AutoZone and have them check for codes. Or invest in a code scanner/reader. They run as little as $25-30 for a basic OBD2 scanner (double that for one that reads ABS codes) and can be a real time and $$ saver trying to diagnose problems. Once you know the codes you can Google for how to resolve the trouble.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great suggestion. Thanks so much.
You're welcome. I know I've saved hundreds (thousands?) in labor costs by simply replacing parts once I have the codes. For example, I made the mistake of having the dealership diagnose and fix an issue in my Traverse. I paid over $400 for a $35-40 part that would have taken me an hour to replace. Unfortunately, the car was already there for body work so I let them do it.
Toward that end, one of my symptoms was full shut off during auto-stop (main problem was hard starting after getting gas). If you find code P0496, go buy the purge valve solenoid and install it yourself if you can.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're welcome. I know I've saved hundreds (thousands?) in labor costs by simply replacing parts once I have the codes. For example, I made the mistake of having the dealership diagnose and fix an issue in my Traverse. I paid over $400 for a $35-40 part that would have taken me an hour to replace. Unfortunately, the car was already there for body work so I let them do it.
Toward that end, one of my symptoms was full shut off during auto-stop (main problem was hard starting after getting gas). If you find code P0496, go buy the purge valve solenoid and install it yourself if you can.

Again, thanks. Interesting about the "full shut off during auto-stop" after "hard stating after getting gas".

·
Super Moderator
2020 High Country
1,266 Posts
If your '21 is still under the 3/36 warranty, then take it in so it's documented by the dealer.

Reactions: g8a550

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'll ask here because if it's a simple fix, I'll do it myself rather than taking to the dealer and run the risk of them screwing up that repair, or causing some other malfunction in the process of "fixing". You're right--I don't trust the dealerships within a 25 mile radius of the local military post; the dealerships just want to make a quick sell, a fast buck, and don't give a hoot about repeat customers. They can get away with that attitude because of the turn-over of troops. It's a 60 mile drive into cities that have different demographics and provide true customer service. Just my experience, but others may have similar situations.

·
Super Moderator
2020 High Country
1,266 Posts
My dealer takes care of me fairly. Local shops around me are losers, last time was an alignment after I did a front end rebuild in a Malibu and the supposed alignment that was imaginary. I don't have an alignment rack or tire machine in my garage. I can repair any issues with all my vehicles, it's a matter of how lazy I am or how dirty the job is now.

Reactions: snobrdrdan
1 - 15 of 15 Posts