Traverse Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
While with our new 2021 the brake noise only happens on the very first braking after sitting overnight, and not each time. Its a very mild noise . I reported it to the dealership and I also spoke with some pretty savvy brake guys I know . They all said the same thing, its a tad of surface rust on the rotors, due to the rotor material and probably not the pads. In high humidity area's or humid nights, this can occur even with the BEST cars. But it should only occur once , maybe twice from a cold start. The dealership told me the same thing but they also said if it continued while driving they want to look at it. They also told me this is common on ALL GM cars , not just the Traverse. My former Dodge Caravan ( traded it) did the same thing after installing new rotors and pads , Go figure. I also installed cheap pads on the Caravan one time and it made noise every time I hit the brakes. A God awful howling . I do believe its a pads vs rotor material thing going on . A match NOT made in heaven !

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2021 Traverse brakes make a growling noise during normal stops especially when cold. Brakes work fine but makes an unsettling noise. Chevy dealer examined and ruled out any foreign material (rocks) interfering in rotors. Dealer determined GM has issued Document ID 5774764 acknowledging this condition and believe it is the composition of the brake pad material. This includes numerous GM makes and models. GM says safe to drive until engineering defines a solution.
I am experiencing growling problem on 2021 Traverse AWD. I have been to 2 different dealers and have been told Chevy is working on problem an was given document 5845227.
Is there a place effected owners can register to receive notice of a fix being available?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just wanted to give an update on the brakes growling. We took our 2021 High Country Traverse to the dealer Friday. It’s got right at 1000 miles on it. They drove it and looked to see if there was a bulletin on it and said GM has given a fix for it. They ordered the brake pads recommended for it. Hope they aren’t back ordered. We’ll see how long it takes to get them. Will report back afterwards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just wanted to give an update on the brakes growling. We took our 2021 High Country Traverse to the dealer Friday. It’s got right at 1000 miles on it. They drove it and looked to see if there was a bulletin on it and said GM has given a fix for it. They ordered the brake pads recommended for it. Hope they aren’t back ordered. We’ll see how long it takes to get them. Will report back afterwards.

Thanks, Can you supply any GM notification numbers that we can refer to?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2021 Traverse brakes make a growling noise during normal stops especially when cold. Brakes work fine but makes an unsettling noise. Chevy dealer examined and ruled out any foreign material (rocks) interfering in rotors. Dealer determined GM has issued Document ID 5774764 acknowledging this condition and believe it is the composition of the brake pad material. This includes numerous GM makes and models. GM says safe to drive until engineering defines a solution.
Glad I found this site. I bought a 2021 Traverse LT 4 months ago and the brakes are making noise too when cold. I will be reporting to dealer today.
Thanks
Thanks! Glad I found this site. I bought a 2021 traverse Lt 4 months ago and I'm having the same issues with brakes. I will be calling the dealer today to report the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had this problem on my 2021 Traverse LT. Trade it for a High Country and now have the same problem.

Can't wait to see how long it takes the dealers to replace the pads on all the Traverses out there. Think I might just get it done somewhere else. Quote for new after market pads is only $79 and an extra $30 if rotors need resurfacing.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Well. I would go for a set of aftermarket for this issue and almost certain that the noise would die right there. Sad to have to do this on a brand new car but if they dont come to a solution customers dont have to live with a city bus brake noise or garbage truck brake noise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got off the phone with my dealership regarding this issue on my 2021 Traverse....mine does it ALL the time...not just when it's been sitting. I had called a couple of times over the last couple of months and was told that GM was working on a fix and to keep trying back every couple of weeks. When I called today the manager told me that the issue had been updated on 06/21 with a part number for repair! He has ordered the parts and will hopefully have them in soon so call your dealerships and get your fix...finally!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine occurred around 700 miles. Can feel grinding right through the brake pedal. Dealer said they are aware and are ordering a new part. That was a week ago. Still waiting. Assured me it was safe to drive but still a bit unsettling to drive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I stopped into the dealership yesterday to ask about the repair and resolution that was to be announced at the end of June both service tech and assistant service manager had no information[/

GM has issued a repair for it. Our dealership ordered pads a little over a week ago. Took ours in yesterday to the dealership and was fixed in less than an hour. They only did the front discs. Made a big difference and no more noise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just had my front pads replaced as well. On the receipt it shows bulletin 21-NA-142 as the reference for replacement. The part number is 85520396: SL-N-PAD KIT (05017-BCKT). Too early to tell if this has really solved the problem but no issues on the way home from the dealer. Best of luck to everyone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought a new 2021 Traverse LT a week ago and experiencing the same issues as described above. Spoke with Dealer who advises GM is aware and will have a solve in place by the end of June. Was told to contact dealership in a month to schedule the solve.
[/QUOTE

Curious if you have been contacted by your dealer yet. I had the same issue and they said the same thing to me.

·
Registered
2020 Traverse LT
61 Posts
Almost hate to say this, but remember the parts are made by the lowest bidder. Not knowing who manufactured the pads, they may well be a very reputable company. However I would hazard a guess that the brake pad raw materials came from on off shore company and sometimes the "ingredients" may be questionable. It's a true shame that GM is having all these difficulties with all their vehicles and some seem to be three steps backwards.
Just my thoughts. I may be entirely wrong on this, but....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got off the phone with my dealership regarding this issue on my 2021 Traverse....mine does it ALL the time...not just when it's been sitting. I had called a couple of times over the last couple of months and was told that GM was working on a fix and to keep trying back every couple of weeks. When I called today the manager told me that the issue had been updated on 06/21 with a part number for repair! He has ordered the parts and will hopefully have them in soon so call your dealerships and get your fix...finally!!!
Hello was the repair completed and did it take care of the noise problem?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts