Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2021 Traverse brakes make a growling noise during normal stops especially when cold. Brakes work fine but makes an unsettling noise. Chevy dealer examined and ruled out any foreign material (rocks) interfering in rotors. Dealer determined GM has issued Document ID 5774764 acknowledging this condition and believe it is the composition of the brake pad material. This includes numerous GM makes and models. GM says safe to drive until engineering defines a solution.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2021 Traverse brakes make a growling noise during normal stops especially when cold. Brakes work fine but makes an unsettling noise. Chevy dealer examined and ruled out any foreign material (rocks) interfering in rotors. Dealer determined GM has issued Document ID 5774764 acknowledging this condition and believe it is the composition of the brake pad material. This includes numerous GM makes and models. GM says safe to drive until engineering defines a solution.
Yes, I have it also and was just looking at the proud UAW sticker on the door jab. GM should issue a solution.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just took my 21 traverse to dealership with less than 1k miles ABS has been going off at almost every brake application they said it was probably the brake material not agreeing with the rotors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Our Traverse had the same issue. The dealership replaced the brake pads as they thought there was too much metallic in the pads. Took 12 days to get replacement pads in. Pads were changed out and still the brakes are making a grinding noise. Sounds just like the pads are bad. Have an appointment next week to try to get it fixed. They said they may need the car for possibly two days and of course there is no loaner option available,

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought a new 2021 Traverse LT a week ago and experiencing the same issues as described above. Spoke with Dealer who advises GM is aware and will have a solve in place by the end of June. Was told to contact dealership in a month to schedule the solve.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
746 Posts
Probably nothing that an aftermarket pad wouldn't fix.
But warranty work requires GM parts be used only and it seems they are having a supplier issue with these pads.
That's my take on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bought a new 2021 Traverse LT a week ago and experiencing the same issues as described above. Spoke with Dealer who advises GM is aware and will have a solve in place by the end of June. Was told to contact dealership in a month to schedule the solve.
Same here. Started experiencing this after only about 50 miles. I took it back once but they couldn't reproduce the noise. Glad I am not the only one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am glad I found this thread. I'm having the same issue and it started a bit after 1,000 miles. It sounds like grinding. So I've read that are working on this issue? Is it safe to drive on?
I'm going to call the dealership service department next week

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Purchase my 2021 Chevy Traverse and have the exact same issue as stated above. Drove for about 1.5 months before I noticed a grinding feeling in the brakes. Occurs intermittently, most noticeable when brakes are cold. Still waiting on the dealership to call back to set up an appointment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Our 2021 Traverse has under 600 miles, the first time we hit the brakes when driving I can hear the pads rubbing slightly , but them it goes away. Obviously when the pads are COLD there is a mismatch between the pad material and the rotors. I am reporting it to the dealer this morning but really do not want them to change anything at this time. It only happens when the pads are cold, and on the first brake pressing. There is no braking issue. Other than that, so far we really like the car. Taking it on an 800 mile R/T next week.

·
Registered
1 Posts
mine does this as well 2018 Traverse Hi Country SIerra

·
Registered
2 Posts
This sounds exactly like what is going on with my 2021 Traverse LT I bought in March 2021. I originally thought it could need to be broke in after purchasing it with only 8 miles on the car. We went past 1,000 miles and the issue has seemed to be just as bad or maybe worse! After approximately 5 or so hard stops from 55mph to zero the issue goes away for awhile but if we stop driving and park for half hour or so it just returns! I had it looked at and they drove it and heard the sound. Told me to call back in a month to see if GM had issued a solution. I waited and called and they told me to bring it back and they would put new pads on it. I waited an hour and drove off and it immediately did it again so I turned around and went back. I find out they didnt even put the pads on the car....said the old pads had no signs of defect. I demanded something be done so they went ahead and put pads on the car but the issue is still happening! What the heck is so hard about installing a brake system that works in 2021??? Has anyone had this issue and got it resolved??? Embarrassing rolling through town with this sound making heads turn everywhere I go. I spent close to $40k on a new car, I just want it to work like a new car....At this point I am ready to just demand a refund and take my money elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I would put a set of aftermarket on it and I am pretty sure the noise would dissapear. It is probably the composition of metallic material GM put in these pads that cause the noise etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Our Traverse had the same issue. The dealership replaced the brake pads as they thought there was too much metallic in the pads. Took 12 days to get replacement pads in. Pads were changed out and still the brakes are making a grinding noise. Sounds just like the pads are bad. Have an appointment next week to try to get it fixed. They said they may need the car for possibly two days and of course there is no loaner option available,
Dealership had the car June 1st and June 2nd. They said they could not replicate the sound. The brakes still make the sound every day after sitting over night. I opened up a service ticket with GM Customer Care. I was told that GM would contact me. I did get a call back from GM. I called back left them home and cell number. Got a return call from GM they left another voicemail on home phone and did not try to call cell. With the number of people complaining about this issue, one would think GM engineers would come up with a solution soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would put a set of aftermarket on it and I am pretty sure the noise would dissapear. It is probably the composition of metallic material GM put in these pads that cause the noise etc.
The problem with that is the dealership won’t do aftermarket...I would have to do it myself at my expense or pay another garage also outta my own pocket. I’d be fine with aftermarket pads if that was the problem and they paid for it....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same brake noise when cold on my 2021 Traverse, It started around 700 miles. I have an appointment next week at the dealer, but I'm hesitant to take it in and waste a day if GM hasn't issued a fix. GM Customer Care wasn't helpful at all, they just said to go to the dealer. Does anyone have a link to the GM document acknowledging the problem?

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Dealership had the car June 1st and June 2nd. They said they could not replicate the sound. The brakes still make the sound every day after sitting over night. I opened up a service ticket with GM Customer Care. I was told that GM would contact me. I did get a call back from GM. I called back left them home and cell number. Got a return call from GM they left another voicemail on home phone and did not try to call cell. With the number of people complaining about this issue, one would think GM engineers would come up with a solution soon.
Suggest YOU leave your Traverse on their lot overnight. In the morning, show them it's been there overnight and take them for a drive. If it's really doing it after sitting overnight, it should do it for them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2020 Traverse click clack paddy wack sounds like plastic wheel covers sqeaking on every rotation ( don't have plastic wheel covers) Going to dearlership next couple of days to talk about DOC#5774764. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got a call from GM Customer Care yesterday saying that GM engineering will have a reduction by the end of June. The dealership will call me to schedule the repair. That is good news!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts