Traverse Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
High mileage, 81000, Traverse 2020 is experiencing and has been diagnosed with the classic torque converter replacement symptoms. Torque converter replacement costs is $ 2939.94 with a 12/12000 warranty. More expensive choice for $ 6577.59 is Transmission replacement, which includes a new Torque converter, with a 36/100000 warranty. Any reason to believe transmission would be affected by the need for new Torque converter? Any advice from experience - thanks

·
Registered
2020 High Country
1,098 Posts
Debris from old convertor going into trans. is a real possibility. Convertor warranty is only on the convertor, not the trans. if something happens in the trans. itself due to contamination.
Was trans fluid ever serviced in those 81k miles? Should be done every 45k miles.
Since they share the fluid it's a roll of the dice. If you're keeping the Traverse and putting on many more miles, I'd just do the complete trans. as the warranty is a good one.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I would have to agree if the expense isn't an unbearable burden. You're already close to halfway in costs for just the converter, and instead you get a brand new trans and an extra 2 years and 24k of a warranty on the parts. If you like the vehicle and planned on keeping it longer, I would go that route but I recognize $6500 is not chump change either to a family budget.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
IF the shop will allow it and you have a way to get some of the old fluid, sending it off for sampling will tell you whether you have debris in the fluid or not. This small cost could make your decision easier one way or another based on evidence.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts