Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought a 2020 RS and when I pulled the rear bumper cover off to check out the towing package/hitch that I ordered found it has none.
I called our salesperson and told her that and she said it is "towing capable". She said they will add it but it is on back order.
So I realize I need the hitch installed but what about wiring/fuse block and trans cooler or will anything else need to be added?

Long ago we bought a 2011 Enclave and same thing happened, we ordered the towing package but when we received the vehicle it did not have it.
They put the hitch on along with the 7 pin round wiring plug but the lights did not work because I had to go to the dealer again to have them put a new fuse block in.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
If you truly ordered a V92 tow package and it didn't come with it, take it back and tell them you want what you ordered. It's their mistake, not yours.

If they install a V9 2package post-purchase, I'd be leery of several things:

1. Will GM still warrant it for 5000 lbs towing, since it is not REALLY a "V92" Traverse? They typically won't warrant anything that's not on the build-sheet.
2. Will they install everything a V92 has, including the HD radiator and all the camera view stuff?
3. Will they only charge you the regular V92 price ($650, I believe)? I'm guessing they'll want to charge you for all the parts PLUS installation fees. For example, in 2012 the total for just the V92 parts (no installation fee) was about $1373, while it cost $695 if ordered with the car. And even if they will do it for the usual V92 price, go back and read concern #1 again.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you truly ordered a V92 tow package and it didn't come with it, take it back and tell them you want what you ordered. It's their mistake, not yours.

If they install a V9 2package post-purchase, I'd be leery of several things:

1. Will GM still warrant it for 5000 lbs towing, since it is not REALLY a "V92" Traverse? They typically won't warrant anything that's not on the build-sheet.
2. Will they install everything a V92 has, including the HD radiator and all the camera view stuff?
3. Will they only charge you the regular V92 price ($650, I believe)? I'm guessing they'll want to charge you for all the parts PLUS installation fees. For example, in 2012 the total for just the V92 parts (no installation fee) was about $1373, while it cost $695 if ordered with the car. And even if they will do it for the usual V92 price, go back and read concern #1 again.
All the vehicles I had/have came with a tow package (including a Ford Explorer). They all included a hitch already installed, I just add my boat trailer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm With Greentraverse on this.

Sounds like the salesperson didn't know their product very well and trying to replicate a factory V92 install will always be inferior.

Best of luck with the dealer, and please come back and post the outcome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 High Country
176 Posts
Sales chick hosed you.
That's why I went with a High Country, Premier was the minimum package I looked at when shopping, V92 tow package standard on them.
They will only hang a hitch on it, they will not upgrade the cooling system and will not upgrade the rear camera for the hitch view, I'll bet the farm on that.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Sales chick hosed you.
That's why I went with a High Country, Premier was the minimum package I looked at when shopping, V92 tow package standard on them.
They will only hang a hitch on it, they will not upgrade the cooling system and will not upgrade the rear camera for the hitch view, I'll bet the farm on that.
I think they will if you ask them to, but they'll charge you an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We did indeed tell her we needed the towing package and not just a towing capable vehicle. She said she "would take care of it" and I have not gotten into the specifics of what that means yet because she said it is back ordered. I am sure they will just add the hitch and 7 pin wiring plug so I will mention to her all of the other components of the V92 towing package. I doubt they will install the HD radiator, let alone the 5000lb towing warranty. We are now aware after we got the RS that the High Country has the towing package standard but sticker on that was $6K more. I will update as I hear more from her. Thanks for all your replies.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
If you ordered the vehicle and told her you wanted the "towing package" and she didn't get you one, it's her fault. If you just bought one already on the lot and didn't confirm it had the "towing package," it's probably on you. If you want the full package, see parts & prices below. Note that this does NOT include fuses and relays; you'll most likely need 6 fuses at about $3 each and 3 relays at about $7 each. I also can't tell you anything about the "htich view" option. It may be something they can just "turn on" in the BCM or it may require additional cameras (i.e., more $$).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We did order it with the towing package. It appears there are quite a few parts and as far as the RCS, I do know our vehicle is AWD w/ lane departure. So if someone orders a vehicle and wants the towing package and it did not come from the factory with it, they should add all those parts from your chart to the vehicle? Has anyone on the forums added the towing package and if so, what did you get?

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
If you ordered it with the "towing package" then it should show on your invoice, either as an option or part of another package. If it doesn't, then you got screwed.

I'm guessing the dealer won't really add a "V92 towing package." What GM offers post-purchase as a "towing package" for about $290 ($360 from GM) is just the hitch and a 4-pin harness. It's for people who only need to pull 1500 lbs. See here:

A true V92 towing package, warranted to 5000 lbs, as supplied from the factory, includes all the stuff in my post above: hitch, HD radiator, different fan, 7-pin connector, RCS, and whatever's necessary for the "hitch view." So you either get it from the factory or you add it yourself. Or make the dealer add it, if you can (I'm guessing he'll charge you big bucks to do so).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well our salesperson said she would "take care of it" so I am guessing no cost to us but I am sure they will just add the GM 84735289 package. One of many reasons that will not work as it has the 4 pin flat wiring connector and both of my trailers have trailer brakes so a 7 pin round connector will be required. The main reason is my boat and trailer and pontoon and trailer are 3500 and 4300 lbs respectively, oh then there is the warranty for 5000lbs towing that I am sure they will not support.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So our salesperson says she is paying for the "hitch and wiring harness" and it is rated to tow 5000lbs. I don't see in the link you sent on the GM Trailering hitch package # 84735289, where it says towing capacity of 1500lbs? I have not asked her yet what part # she ordered and is referring to that tows 5000lbs. That part does state it comes with the 4 pin connector and we need the 7 pin round connector.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, from the picture it looks like the wiring harness plug is a 7 pin round connector with the flap/door on it?
To add/wire this onto the vehicle, is the vehicle already wired and this wiring harness just plugs in? Will it matter if the added wiring harness is 4 pin or 7 pin?

·
Registered
92 Posts
The 84735289 features a 2-inch receiver opening and a trailering wiring harness with a 4-pin connector. The things that matter to the towing capacity are the HD radiator, transmission cooler, etc!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok and in a previous post listing the items in the V92 towing package it lists the HD radiator and fan with HD cooling. I don't see a transmission cooler or is that the fan with HD cooling? Is that also included in the factory installed V92 towing package?

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Your dealer lady is going to sell you a pig in a poke.

GM will provide a warranty (say, if your transmission dies) to 5000 lbs if the hitch was installed BY THE FACTORY as part of the V92 towing package, which includes an HD radiator and an RCS that gives you tow/haul mode, which changes the shift settings of the transmission. If this dealer lady only gives you a hitch and 4 pin connector, GM will only warrant you for pulling 1500 lbs. The hitch she gives you will pull 5000 lbs, but you won't have an HD radiator or tow/haul mode, so I wouldn't pull 5000 lbs with it. She is NOT giving you something you can pull your camper with.

The V92 tow package has a 7-pin round connector with flap. It's wiring harness plugs into an existing rectangular connector behind the left rear wheel. I'm pretty sure the 4-pin connector she wants to give you will also plug into the rectangular connector behind the left rear wheel, but it will only give you running lights and left turn signal/stop and right turn signal/stop. You will NOT get pins for brakes, aux power, or backup lights.

I would not pull a 3500+ lb camper without an HD radiator/aux oil cooler and the tow/haul mode provided by the proper RCS.

If you're at all handy with tools/auto maintenance, you should be able to install the components yourself in less than a day. It still won't be warranted for 5000lbs, but it will be the same as every V92 Traverse that is warranted. So you're still taking a small chance. Of course, after 3 years/36K miles, it isn't warranted for anything.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Some items may be added by the dealer after the vehicle arrives from the factory. In any case when I took delivery of my 2018 Traverse with the tow package I removed the rear covering and verified that everything was there. If it was not then I would have left the car at the dealer and told them to fix it and call me when the work was done and I would then accept the vehicle.

I had other issues and they wanted me to drive the car home and make an appointment which I knew better than to do for two reasons. First is that once I accepted the vehicle my leverage was gone completely. Second was that if they had the vehicle in limbo on their lot then they would be under pressure to expedite the work and move it to the top of the list. Regardless it put ALL the pressure on the people at the dealer to fix the problems. I should not pay $46,000 for a car and then have to chase after the dealer to make it right.

I always do a thorough check of the vehice and take it for a test drive and then if there are problems I provide a list to the sales manager and ask them to call me when the vehicle is ready for me to accept it and drive it home. If I did not feel knowledgeable enough to do the inspection I would pay someone to to the inspection for me.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts