Traverse Forum banner

2020 Traverse exhaust moan and suspension lumbering noise

6K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  c&wsinbad 
#1 ·
Help, I have a 2020 Traverse , after the vehicle is warmed up we get a moan noise that can be controlled with the throttle . We drive highway speeds all the time and the noise is terrible , Dealer said today it was normal , this is a AWD vehicle , shifting into different gears does not change the noise , only moving the throttle . this is not normal , also we get a lumbering noise from the suspension while driving normally at high way speeds . vehicle has 1700 miles , no help from GM . can any body suggest any help , Thanks

#2 ·
We don't have the miles on our 2020 that you have, but we have not experienced the moaning or lumbering sounds that you describe. Suggest you may want to enlist the support of the dealer service manager in taking another Traverse from the dealer's lot and test drive it to ascertain the "normal" condition that dealership claims. Good luck, and let us know the outcome.

Reactions: AlisoBob
#3 ·
Go for a test drive of a new one on the lot and yours back-to-back with one of their mechanics. Or go to another dealer. Under warranty, don't accept "it's normal" as an answer unless you have it proven on another new vehicle.

#4 ·
Thank you for your replies, I did take a dealership Technician for a ride , we ruled out the roof luggage rack, The technician did hear the noises and my concerns , when we change the engine rpm's the moan changes .. We took another vehicle for a ride , My Vehicle has 18 wheels and the test vehicle has 20 inch wheels , the noise was not there .New vehicle has 27 miles on it , at this time I was told they don't know what to do , I told them to loosen the exhaust and reset it , they said they don't get paid to do that ... I guess I have to go to another dealership .So much for J.D. Power awards .

#5 ·
Have you contacted GM's customer care yet? Even though they may not directly be able to help they should know how dealers are interacting with customers since the dealership experience could drive you away from their vehicles.

#8 ·
Snobrdan, Thank you for your response, I drove this vehicle 11 miles before purchasing it , the highway was only a mile away, the reason i purchased it was the ride was quite no lumbering or moans, My wife and I went on a 360 mile trip we notice the noises after about 120 miles , changing lanes or driving out of the road crown did not make a difference , I have a neighbor who has the same vehicle with 4500 miles and its quite , I'm at a loss GM said it was normal...

#9 ·
2020traverse. I think you have a good point that the exhaust system is at fault.

#12 ·
Your vehicle is brand new, don't touch anything! Take it to another dealer. I'd also be contacting the highest person I can at the dealer that told you it was normal.

This is NOT your problem to fix and you did NOT buy a brand new vehicle to have to work on it right away and fix things.

#11 ·
Keep us posted regarding the outcome.

#13 ·
Cintocrunch, My next closes dealership is 81 miles away, that's why I was going to try to fix it myself, I still have the lumbering noise while driving like the body mounts are grounding out somewhere .. GUESS WHAT now when i open the left front door the radio will not shut off . It stays on until it times out with the battery saver .

#14 ·
2020 Traverse Owner--I read somewhere today--don't remember where, maybe on the FaceBook Traverse site--that there was a radio software update that would cause the radio to act as yours did. Several folks indicated they experienced the same thing, and that it returned to normal operations the next time they used the Traverse, evidently after the update was completed. That MAY have been your issue--then again, it may be something else. Just letting you know what others were experiencing.

#16 ·
Where do you live btw?

If it's somewhere warm, the door seals were known to "moan" or creak when the body was flexing.

And the radio staying on, as mentioned, could be an OTA update. We experienced that a couple of times with our '20 and the dealer then informed us about the updates (I didn't know it'd just stay on like that)

#17 ·
Snobrdrdan, I live in upper lower Michigan, The next dealer i'm going to try is in Kalkaska It's the only dealer that has experienced Technicians enough to help me, I made an appointment for Tuesday hopefully it will not snow so we can road test it , ....The radio concern does stay on when you open the left frt door now . It stays on for 25 min then shuts off on it's own. I monitored this several times , Thanks for for help , John

#18 ·
Yeh, if your radio is staying on that long, and after several uses of the vehicle, I think it is something other than the update. Maybe the update failed and it's hung up in the process, or there's another issue with the radio. Keep us posted on the outcome.

#21 ·
Green Traverse, I went outside last night to check , I was just focused on the radio , I found the interior lights do not stay on , only the radio, I was searching for information on the internet to see if there were 2 different micro switches to control the body computer Input signal, I could not find a straight answer , Thanks for your help, John

#24 ·
Nozryd1, Thank you for your response, We had a 2011 AWD Traverse with 20 inch wheels , It was very quite at any speed , This 2020 we have has a exhaust moan that is unacceptable , and suspension lumbering noise that will drive you crazy, 2 different dealers said it was normal , After driving new Traverses with the dealer management and not hearing the noises , the dealer said is was normal , I don't think they know what to do...Calling Chevrolet did not do any good because they called the dealer and the dealer said it was normal... I have no choice but to trade it in for a Subaru.

#25 ·
2020 Traverse--A couple suggestions in dealing with your dealer: Have their service manager ride with you in your vehicle and observe the noise, then have him ride in one off their lot and observe the noise, then ask him which is the NORMAL normal? Secondly, get a conference call with Chevrolet Customer Service along with the dealership, and then ask to have it elevated to a higher level; make sure they give you a case number; ask them to get the regional representative involved--have HIM come and listen to the vehicle; have the regional rep elevate to the engineering department. These are all things that they can do--and should do without prodding--but they seldom do anything until you become the squeaking wheel that WON'T go away. Be persistent! Lastly, if all these things fail to bring satisfaction, involve your better business bureau--and consider your state's lemon law!

#26 ·
When you have an open case with Chevrolet Customer Service--don't let them close it until YOU are satisfied with the outcome. Just because the dealer states it's "normal" from their (dealer's) perspective, doesn't mean you have to accept them trying to push it off. You've already stated that the technician heard it and doesn't know what to do about it; that two dealerships have observed the noise; and that other 2020 vehicles do not have the noise. Take that information directly back to Chevrolet Customer Service and document it with them; then elevate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.