Traverse Forum banner

2020 Traverse Back Up Camera Stopped Working?

26K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  ilski 
#1 ·
So this morning I got in the traverse and the eagle eye/rear camera stopped working. Anyone else having this issue? Super annoyed but nothing I can do but take it to the dealer. The one thing I noticed when checking the fuse box under the hood was that most of the fuses were half way out of the sockets/holder. I found that pretty strange. I’ll keep you guys posted!

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Funny thing you mentioned that. The traverse has some sort of parasitic drain, cause it wouldn’t even start tonight. When I went to jump it with the Duramax, it was sparking from the ground terminal on the chassis. I moved the jumper directly to the battery. As soon as it started I moved the jumper from the negative terminal to the ground terminal on the chassis and everything was normal. When getting inside I got a whole lot of errors. After reviewing my cameras, no attempt of theft was made on her.

Every vehicle manufacture has its issues but this is a major electronic failure that needs to be documented and addressed. With out a doubt this will cause major issues down the road. It’s not if, it’s when. This Issue has the potential to cause harm or death. I wouldn’t ever think Chevy bad quality but after my Duramax having potentially major problems with the CP3 fuel pumps failing. If not under warranty, the damages will be 10k-12k. Handful of other issues, now this with the traverse. I’m losing faith in Chevy

#6 ·
So s

came back from our camping trip, started the traverse and everything is back to normal, including eagle eye/cameras. So **** weird. System must have reset after the battery died. Going to the dealer tomorrow, even though they will tell me. “Sorry we couldn’t recreate the issue, please come back when it happens again”

#9 ·
I was going to suggest it could be a bad battery. It happens unfortunately and batteries can cause all kinds of crazy things to happen.

My general rule of thumb is when you start having more than 1 weird electrical issue, replace the battery first.

Reactions: Jeeebz
#10 ·
My wife's 2020 Traverse back up/ eagle eye cameras have been acting up as well. Sometimes it works great, next time same screen as you had above with the exclamation point and camera crossed out. Dealer "Couldn't recreate it", but it has happened again quite a bit since. Suppose it will be going back when we can leave it so they can dig deeper. Frustrating on a new vehicle!

#16 ·
Video it with cellphone when it does that. My new 2020 Traverse Premier is doing the same thing except a pink screen comes up on the backup screen, then the black screen again. Just keeps changing from black screen to pink screen but can’t use back up camera. The next time it might work good. I videoed mine doing this several different days. Only 299 miles on my new Traverse.

#13 ·
That is what we did as well, and they weren't able to recreate it supposedly. Didn't work when my wife left the dealership. They said if it kept doing it we would have to bring it back when they had more time to troubleshoot it. Not easy for us to go without this vehicle (two infant seats and one booster seat) but looks like we are going to have to take it in and leave it.

Post back if you find anything out when you have yours looked at.

#14 ·
That is what we did as well, and they weren't able to recreate it supposedly. Didn't work when my wife left the dealership. They said if it kept doing it we would have to bring it back when they had more time to troubleshoot it. Not easy for us to go without this vehicle (two infant seats and one booster seat) but looks like we are going to have to take it in and leave it.

Post back if you find anything out when you have yours looked at.

#15 ·
My 2020 Traverse Premier is having backup camera problems since day 1 of purchasing vehicle. Only has 299 miles on it now and it has been to shop twice for same problem. I video recorded the backup camera while it was put in R. A pink screen keeps coming up and then the black screen showing no camera. Has anyone else had this problem. Taking back to dealership because I’ve already sent the videos of the backup camera messing up several times. Can’t use backup camera hardly ever and new traverse only has 299 miles on it.

#23 ·
We have a 2020 Traverse High County and experience a similar issue. We did notice an opposite effect based on outside temp. When in the garage or cooler temps 40 to 75 F, no issues, when the Traverse sits outside on a hot day, 80+, we experience issue where the camera doesn't work. We have taken it to the dealer and could not repeat it onsite. I might leave it sit on their lot on a hot summer day and see if it happens. If it does happen, I am not sure if they would even have a clue on how to fix it and I don't want them removing panels to try stuff out that will never go back on with the same quality as the factory unless a real fix is identified.

#25 ·
Exactly, my 2020 Traverse Premier that I’d just bought in March. It has been to the shop 6 times in 3 months for the Backup camera. Never been fixed. Last time my New Traverse Premier sat at the Dealership shop for 9 days and we finally got call that it was ready to be picked up. Went to get it. my Traverse was so dirty and it looked like it had been sitting under a bunch of trees bc there was leaves, green and dirty looking film in every crack and all over. I still noticed a big scratch when walking up to the back of my Traverse bc it was pulled up to building at farthest point. I told the sales Mgr that there’s a big scratch right there. he turned around and walked off. The scratch is about 3-4” long & deep in the paint that white is showing. That was just the beginning. Got inside, started noticing grease every where From door panel, visors , steering wheel. Top of inside of my traverse & and dirt all in Floor board. The backup camera screen had dirt and finger prints all over it. the back up camera worked when we put in reverse at dealership this time. Got about a mile down the highway and stopped at the store. put in R !! NO BACKUP CAMERA AGAIN!! Called dealership then. It was on Friday. Sales Mgr tells me bring my Traverse back down there and they’ll get it fixed the next week bc shop isnt opened on Saturday. I told him I would not bring it back to them. The cover that is over steering wheel and where controls are looked like it had been taken off and put bk on crooked. Has about a 1/2” crack on both sides of steering wheel and can see the metal and wiring. oh, worst yet to come. Went to the Grocery store that Sunday and while Putting gro in back. The hatch came down on mine and my husbands head. Lucky he caught it and stopped it. It makes a loud noise every time the hatch closes but after we got home, got groceries out and noticed where they had scratched my Traverse in several other places on rear. The Next day. In the daylight we was looking at the hatch and wondering what the so called mechanics had done to cause the hatch to slam like it was. Then the noticed all the panels on the back hatch had been taken off and looks like a 3 yr old child tried to put the panels back on. Omg!! A disgrace!! My brand new 2020 Traverse Premier has been torn apart and there’s big cracks in the panels that do not line up anywhere . both sides of the panel that connects next to the rear glass wasn’t even put bk half right! One side, you can look up and see the whole back glass where that’s not sup to be any cracks or glass showing. All the panels are scratched up it just goes on. I am so angry and disgusted bc if I’d wanted a junker then I’d bought a junker but paid new price for my 2020 traverse Premier and now the dealership has basically torn it up. The electrical is messed up also. the backup mirrors work part time now and still no back up camera!! Also, when put in R the back up mirrors will come back up while in R. They’re sup to stay down until put in D. Has anybody had anything like this to happen to their New Traverse while at the dealership. They want me bring it back, WHY? So they can finish tearing it up. Ive gotten the number to call GM Priority and I’m fixing to call them. I’m just so upset with the dealership employees all together. I dont think I should have to keep the traverse that has been to shop for at least 6 times and problem has never been fixed. They just ruined my new Traverse. dont trust the dealerships or techs bc they do not know anything about fixing a problem that never was sup to been a prob and now they tore everything else up trying to fix the backup camera. There’s still so much more that I haven’t mentioned that I’d just disgusting!!!

#26 ·
Wow....at this point, I would take it to another GM dealer. When the surveys come in for your opinion, anything below excellent gets the attention of GM and based on your experiences I suspect all failed. GM will contact you and GM will send reps to that dealer or call them and will try to make it right for you. My daughter went through an experience like you with her Malibu and that could stop kissing her ass enough after GM called my daughter. She opted for another and they finally fixed the issue. Took longer than expected but was fixed. I heard from a service manager that survey grading rates and ranks the dealer and hits them in financing in new vehicles and other incentives leaving them with and harder to sell. We started taking pictures with date and time stamps and videos prior to the drop and after picking up the vehicle.

Good luck and let us know what you find...

#27 ·
Wow....at this point, I would take it to another GM dealer. When the surveys come in for your opinion, anything below excellent gets the attention of GM and based on your experiences I suspect all failed. GM will contact you and GM will send reps to that dealer or call them and will try to make it right for you. My daughter went through an experience like you with her Malibu and that could stop kissing her ass enough after GM called my daughter. She opted for another and they finally fixed the issue. Took longer than expected but was fixed. I heard from a service manager that survey grading rates and ranks the dealer and hits them in financing in new vehicles and other incentives leaving them with and harder to sell. We started taking pictures with date and time stamps and videos prior to the drop and after picking up the vehicle.

Good luck and let us know what you find...
Oh yes, I’ve got pictures before and after on everything . They’re all dated and time stamped. I’m just afraid to take it back to any GM dealer bc it’s been practically torn apart starting at steering wheel all way to the back hatch. They put it half A___ back together (The Panels on inside with big gaps everywhere.) the top little spoiler on outside where brake light is, that’s just wobbly bc it’s soo loose. The dealership wants me bring it back so they can try work something out with me but I don’t trust them at all. I just need to go ahead and call GM Priority number, I guess and see what they say . Makes me sick knowing I’m paying for something soo expensive For the extra luxury features that the dealership has ragged out!

#29 · (Edited)
I finally made enough noise with our local dealership to get this looked at by Chevy/GM engineering.
Our Chevy Service Manager found a TSB on Cadillac having similar issues with the backup camera and asked me to bring the Traverse in to check for failure codes (which it had) and to re-flash the video control module in the rear, behind the driver side panel. The software flash did not work due to chipset compatibility with the boot-loader. GM engineering ended shipping a new video control module and was replaced on 12/23/20. TSB in reference (hopefully Chevy Traverse is added to the list) and details with the video module that was replaced. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10175749-9999.pdf 2 weeks and the camera issue has not occurred.

#33 ·
Camera went out as I was leaving the dealership after purchasing my 2020 (pre-owned). I had to drop it off for some body work that was promised so they looked at camera too. Said it was a loose wire. Now the issue is back. Pink screen then out. Doesn't happen all the time or even most of the time but is annoying. Was hoping to find out here what wire might be loose so I can glue it together, haha! Will continue watching this thread.

#35 ·
I’ve taken it in 3 times. The first time they replaced behind the screen/radio. Started up with same problem 6 months later. Just took it in, and unless doing it when mechanic checks, not even my video in THE DEALERS PARKING LOT is acceptable. They have to see an error code as well. This is a serious flaw in the digital design of this vehicle. Ours is a 2020 Traverse. Is it just the year, cuz the 2018 was having issues with not shutting off, thus couldn’t lock doors or the vehicle. They need to do a recall.

#36 ·
I have now also been in 3 times for this. The first was as I stated already. Brought it back and mentioned the service bulletin provided by Tmalley. They said they'd take it into consideration but 2 hours later they told me that I only needed a system update. I asked if they checked the Video Processing Module and they said it was working after update and it was all that was needed. Later that DAY...camera is out again. I bring it back and leave it for the entire day. They contact me and say that they have deduced that it's the Video Processing Module. How astute, especially since I already told them that. Pick up the next day and the camera works in the parking lot. 1 hour later it's out again. FML.

I don't know whether to get the manager on the line or go through Chevy Corporate.

#37 ·
3 times I would get Corp. into the loop.
Dealers and their techs have access to factory tech. help for weird issues or constant problems.
Quite a few techs are reluctant to reach out for factory assistance, I know as a retired field tech. in the appliance field, reaching out to the factory elevates issues found in the field and it's the only way they know if a problem is isolated or a supplier issue and if a tech. in another area discovered a solution for example.
At least Corp. will get the Tech. assistance team involved.

Reactions: Chauncy