Traverse Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to setup the lights so the fogs are turned on with the high beams. On vehicles with relays this is easy but it seems the 2020s do not have relays for either the headlights or the fogs. So it seems I will need to get into the harness connectors to jump power from the high beams to the fogs. Does anybody have the wiring diagrams for the headlight and fog circuits?

I understand the concerns with overloading circuits and the legal concerns with having both the fogs and high beams on at the sametime but I really would like to see the deer before they are on the hood!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I don't think the fog lights will give you appreciable increases in lighting that you anticipate. They are "focused" to light areas low and broad--intended to penetrate fog rather than illuminate objects at great distances. The lens and reflector are shaped differently than "driving" lights that are designed to project a beam directly in front and in a narrow cone to project it as far in front as possible--increasing the distance you can see things. To see the effective light output of the fogs, try covering your headlights with something opaque and see where the light from just the fogs actually hits; I think you'll be surprised how limited they are for distance coverage. Good luck!

PS. I'm like you; I like a good projection of light to the front to see the deer before I'm on top of them! I've run true "driving" lights on cars in the past and they really make a difference!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fog lights do a nice job of filling the ditches. I have 'adjusted' the aiming to either side to help with this. Here in Michigan keeping out of the way of deer is a full time job. The high beams do a reasonable job of putting light down the road but leave the sides woefully dark and the fogs do a nice job of filling that gap. But I need to run both hence the need for a wiring diagram or two.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
1,001 Posts
I upgraded the stock bulbs in my '20 HC to these. I've been using the same ones in my '11 Tahoe for years. Housing look the same between the two also. Brightest bulb I've found for these type sockets/mounting, all the Amazon multi led ones don't even come close to light output in the fogs.
As far as getting fogs to come on with the highs it probably will require a total rewire and a manual bypass. I did that in my '15 Malibu that I added the stock fog housings to basically wiring the fogs to come on with the park lights.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
See my post here for the early Gen 1 wiring diagram for the fog lights.

2013 Traverse 2LT fog lights won’t come on

The switch feeds the BCM, which then energizes the relay. I would expect the 2020 to be similar.

So I'm guessing that the BCM is doing the "logic" of turning the fogs lights on or off based on whether the high beams on or off.

So I think if you want to run the fogs with the high beams on, you're going to have to run a direct wire from a new relay and a new, separate, switch.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Do the new Traverse's with the auto high beams follow the same logic as my dad's 2020 Sierra? You can use the fog lights or the auto high beams, but you can't use both. Who came up with this decision? I'd very much like to discuss their intelligence and know what other poor decisions they made on the vehicle.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Do the new Traverse's with the auto high beams follow the same logic as my dad's 2020 Sierra? You can use the fog lights or the auto high beams, but you can't use both. Who came up with this decision? I'd very much like to discuss their intelligence and know what other poor decisions they made on the vehicle.
I believe it is "illegal" to have both high beams and fogs on at the same time. I am unaware of any US vehicle that allows it from the factory.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I don't know about legality, but high beams in true foggy conditions tend to reflect the light directly back off from the fog, and the higher focus for greater projection works against the light penetrating the fog. I had always thought it was due to the conflicting purposes of the lighting by each of them. True driving lights--that are designed to project light at extended distances and not dispersed to the sides--are typically wired to function with high beams since the complement each other. I tend to think that most folks on here are wanting the functionality of driving lights versus fog lights; they may not realize the distinct functional differences and may not understand that the fog lights as installed have lenses and reflectors designed for wider light dispersion rather than being tightly focused to project it further down the road.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I believe it is "illegal" to have both high beams and fogs on at the same time. I am unaware of any US vehicle that allows it from the factory.
I should have been more specific... my complaint is that when you use auto high beams you can't have the fog lights on with the low beams. It will not let you activate them while the high beams are inactive. So you can either manual control your high beam to gain fog lights with low beam or you can have the vehicle automatically select the high beam but it will not do turn on the fog lights.

I don't know about legality, but high beams in true foggy conditions tend to reflect the light directly back off from the fog, and the higher focus for greater projection works against the light penetrating the fog. I had always thought it was due to the conflicting purposes of the lighting by each of them. True driving lights--that are designed to project light at extended distances and not dispersed to the sides--are typically wired to function with high beams since the complement each other. I tend to think that most folks on here are wanting the functionality of driving lights versus fog lights; they may not realize the distinct functional differences and may not understand that the fog lights as installed have lenses and reflectors designed for wider light dispersion rather than being tightly focused to project it further down the road.
I run my fog lights any time I have my headlights on (except my high beams, of course). My reasoning is mostly style (I like the look) and also safety. IMO, more "points" of light make you more noticeable. People nowadays have enough trouble focusing on driving and what other vehicles are doing so anything that helps me be seen is OK with me.

·
Registered
417 Posts
cintocrunch.. Thanks for the clarification; now I understand your frustration. It should be compatible with the "auto" high beaming/dimming function as well. Also, like you, I believe in the "many points of light" philosophy of increasing awareness. Sounds like you have some experience with motorcycles; their systems that cycle headlights from high beam to low beam and back and forth work to gain attention. I'm also a believer of the "loud pipes save lives" approach! I always hear them before I see them; hearing them, I begin looking for them! Love those Harleys!

Reactions: cintocrunch

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I should have been more specific... my complaint is that when you use auto high beams you can't have the fog lights on with the low beams. It will not let you activate them while the high beams are inactive. So you can either manual control your high beam to gain fog lights with low beam or you can have the vehicle automatically select the high beam but it will not do turn on the fog lights.
Got it. I don't have any experience with this auto high beams thing, so I didn't get it. But now I understand.

It does seem kind of stupid. If it's smart enough to turn off the fogs when YOU control the high beams, why isn't it smart enough to do the same in auto high beam??

·
Registered
2020 High Country
1,001 Posts
No fogs when in auto high beam mode.
I don't like or use the auto mode. They are always on the high unless it senses traffic coming or going or a lot of ambient light.
I've found myself trying to turn on the highs in auto mode when they were already on, factory LED do not have the projection down the road of the rest of my GM fleet. In fact my HID low beam converted fleet has better lighting with their projector housings than the Traverse. My old '17 Continental had LED's also and same ''quality'' of light as the Traverse also.
Fogs go off on highs because they want you to be more focused on looking down the road not down in front is the the logic behind it.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
No fogs when in auto high beam mode.
I don't like or use the auto mode. They are always on the high unless it senses traffic coming or going or a lot of ambient light.
I've found myself trying to turn on the highs in auto mode when they were already on, factory LED do not have the projection down the road of the rest of my GM fleet. In fact my HID low beam converted fleet has better lighting with their projector housings than the Traverse. My old '17 Continental had LED's also and same ''quality'' of light as the Traverse also.
Fogs go off on highs because they want you to be more focused on looking down the road not down in front is the the logic behind it.
Yea it's not any better in the '20 Sierra... my dad trying to like the auto high beam system but he gets frustrated with the same fog light issue and he finds it turning off a lot for outdoor lights on a house or street lights or even the high beam reflecting off of a road sign. He grumbles 3 or 4 times then deactivates it and controls them manually.

Great idea in theory but poor execution for the semi-country semi-suburb area in which we live.

Reactions: repairman54
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.