Traverse Forum banner

161 - 180 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well, I got my magnetic drain plug on Tuesday of this week and picked up Valvoline ATF that is posted within...opted to not use Castrol ATF since I couldn't narrow down specific years for GM and didn't want to risk the wrong ATF.

So I changed out the 5.5 qts on Thursday per AlisoBob's post and I'm not sure it's just my mind set to believe it's way better, but it is! During my test drive, I heard the shifts (motor sounds) but almost - almost could not feel the shifts at all. A much better feel! Glad I did it!

Note, I have not had any shuddering whatsoever since I bought it brand new.

I had 21,830 miles on my 19 Premier, from St. Louis to Colorado Springs and surrounding site seeing attractions like Pikes Peak, Royal Gorge and other attraction sites in the mountains and back to St. Louis, and again to Denver and site seeing to the skiing resorts west of Denver like Vail and others and back, and to KC about 3 times to visit family, Hannibal, Mo at least once a month for the last 6 months, and my most recent trip to Austin, TX, actually Lake Travis for a week and back.

The ATF color was dark kind of like a dark beet color compared to the new ATF color, more a Rose wine color.

So again, glad I did it and thanks AlisoBob for posting! I will be doing this again in 7k miles and then every 20k miles based on the dark color my of old ATF.

Anyone have a how to for the transaxle? LOL

·
Registered
631 Posts
Well, I got my magnetic drain plug on Tuesday of this week and picked up Valvoline ATF that is posted within...opted to not use Castrol ATF since I couldn't narrow down specific years for GM and didn't want to risk the wrong ATF.

So I changed out the 5.5 qts on Thursday per AlisoBob's post and I'm not sure it's just my mind set to believe it's way better, but it is! During my test drive, I heard the shifts (motor sounds) but almost - almost could not feel the shifts at all. A much better feel! Glad I did it!

Note, I have not had any shuddering whatsoever since I bought it brand new.

I had 21,830 miles on my 19 Premier, from St. Louis to Colorado Springs and surrounding site seeing attractions like Pikes Peak, Royal Gorge and other attraction sites in the mountains and back to St. Louis, and again to Denver and site seeing to the skiing resorts west of Denver like Vail and others and back, and to KC about 3 times to visit family, Hannibal, Mo at least once a month for the last 6 months, and my most recent trip to Austin, TX, actually Lake Travis for a week and back.

The ATF color was dark kind of like a dark beet color compared to the new ATF color, more a Rose wine color.

So again, glad I did it and thanks AlisoBob for posting! I will be doing this again in 7k miles and then every 20k miles based on the dark color my of old ATF.

Anyone have a how to for the transaxle? LOL
You just did the transaxle... you mean transfer case or rear diff?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m going to have the dealership take a look at it since I am still under warranty. I had them look at it when we bought it but they came back with “normal operation”. I’ve noticed with the warmer temps it’s way worse when the fluid gets hot

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey, so I performed the tranny fluid and drain plug change in my '19... Many thanks to A-bob for the clear write up!

Now I've been paying close attention to my tranny fluid temp...I just took a long trip, and it likes to run between 180 and 220 (highway). That seem ok? 220 seems high to me, but I've read newer tranny's run hot.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Make sure it's not overfull, which will make it run a little warmer, and yes, the Traverse 9 speed seems to run a little hotter than previous GM transmissions.

90 degrees over ambient used to be a commonly used bench mark. ( 170 degrees ATF temp when outside air temps were 80 degrees)
The GM manual stats the check fluid temp at 95 degrees C, which is 203 degrees F, so yea, they want it hot.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Make sure it's not overfull, which will make it run a little warmer, and yes, the Traverse 9 speed seems to run a little hotter than previous GM transmissions.

90 degrees over ambient used to be a commonly used bench mark. ( 170 degrees ATF temp when outside air temps were 80 degrees)
The GM manual stats the check fluid temp at 95 degrees C, which is 203 degrees F, so yea, they want it hot.
View attachment 9659
Gotcha. Sounds like I can lower my DEFCON level a bit. Was probably 80° out and was going like 80mph for an hour or so...
Hottest it got was 220°. That sound ok? (Thanks for your write ups!)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Ok? Probably. There's charts all over the inna' net suggesting 200 degrees is the upper level of acceptable.

Over 220 is getting up there. That's why I ordered my 2020 Traverse with the V92 "Tow Package" with the bigger trans cooler and fan, even though it will never tow anything, it its whole life.

I suggest everyone orders their Traverse with the V92 paqckage. It's $600 , well spent.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ok? Probably. There's charts all over the inna' net suggesting 200 degrees is the upper level of acceptable.
View attachment 9660

Over 220 is getting up there. That's why I ordered my 2020 Traverse with the V92 "Tow Package" with the bigger trans cooler and fan, even though it will never tow anything, it its whole life.

I suggest everyone orders their Traverse with the V92 paqckage. It's $600 , well spent.
Yep. Would've been a great idea but that ship has sailed.

Here's a question for ya. What factors affect tranny fluid temperature? Weight? Speed? Outdoor temperature?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Yep. Would've been a great idea but that ship has sailed.

Here's a question for ya. What factors affect tranny fluid temperature? Weight? Speed? Outdoor temperature?
Coolant temps... the Traverse (tow package and non-tow package) have the cooler built into the radiator, so eventually the transmission temps will equalize with the coolant temps.

Engine load, how often the transmission is shifting due to terrain or other factors, torque converter locking and unlocking, etc.

Reactions: Njtraverse

·
Registered
2018 Redline Traverse
4 Posts
So silly question, but the level plug on the side, does it just pull out or is it a nut screwed in, i can't seem to budge it, dropped some wd40 on it and waiting a bit but can't seem to get it out.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
183 Posts

[/QUOTE]
All of the above have a impact on fluid temp. Variables of the moment apply like temp. load, speed, etc. .

Reactions: Njtraverse

·
Registered
9 Posts
So i pulled the plug and did this myself... i drained out 5Q of really burnt fluid, i put in 6q let it warm to temp, pulled the level plug and 1.5q came out! Is this ok?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
pulled the level plug and 1.5q came out! Is this ok?
You pulled it with the engine running..... .right?

1.5q sounds like a bit much. Are you sure it was level?
If your fluid was that nasty.... you should drain and fill it again, and be very careful you have the car running and as level as practical.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You pulled it with the engine running..... .right?

1.5q sounds like a bit much. Are you sure it was level?
If your fluid was that nasty.... you should drain and fill it again, and be very careful you have the car running and as level as practical.
Yup engine was running. There’s a slight chance there’s a pitch that way, which could be the extra .5qt. I’m going to drive it to work tomorrow to mix the fluids and then change it again. This time IN the garage.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Our 9T65's are unique in that unlike most all transmissions that hold all of the fluid in the bottom pan, our's has a expansion tank to hold excess fluid when the trans is hot, then returns it to the sump when the fluid cools and contracts.

This operates much like the expansion tank for the engine coolant.

If you get the fluid as close as you can ( + or - 0.5 quarts) I think this expansion tank will do the rest.

It's all about fuel efficiency. Ever try to run in a swimming pool? It's hard. Same goes for all the spinny bits in the transmission. They want to keep them away from the oil as the volume increases with heat and the level rises.

Pretty smart.

161 - 180 of 232 Posts