Traverse Forum banner

141 - 160 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Personally, I would not use it until GM or Mobil1 classify it as suitable for DexVI applications
Agreed, but that said my 2020 LT3 shifts absolutely perfectly at 11k miles on the clock, 10k ran with the Blue Label Mobil HP in the sump.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Agreed, but that said my 2020 LT3 shifts absolutely perfectly at 11k miles on the clock, 10k ran with the Blue Label Mobil HP in the sump.
I know and I want to use a better fluid, why can't GM or Mobil just say it and make my brain happy?

Reactions: AlisoBob

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
I know and I want to use a better fluid, why can't GM or Mobil just say it and make my brain happy?
This is what made me pull the trigger. All GM transmissions use the same friction materials,seal materials, and engineering in general. This is from a 8 Speed service bulletin .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all....new to the forum but not Traverse. Had a 2010 Gen 1 and now a 2018 Gen 2. I'm at the point where I need to consider changing the trans fluid so this is helpful. Can anyone provide some followup as to whether the 5.5-6 qts mentioned here is a full change or partial? IE, how much total fluid is in there? I can't find any capacity info. Just wondering if I should do this procedure again after driving a couple hundred miles or if once is enough. It appears there's no need to mess with a filter.

I also did some reading on the shuttering shifts. I noticed this early on, primarily when I'm towing, when the fluid is warm, or when I've just started city driving after being on the interstate for a while. It's hard to compare what I'm feeling vs. others descriptions; I just know it doesn't feel right, like something inside is slipping at normal acceleration shifts. I complained in 2018 but was told that's just normal for these new 9 speed transmissions.....ok....so I've just lived with it. But maybe if there's a bulletin I should re-visit the dealer and let them take care of the fluid.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Read AlisoBob's original write up where he explains it's 5.5 qts but he adds 6.0 and drains the .5 out once the tranny reaches operating temp. I don't have shuddering on my 19 Traverse with 20k+ miles but many in the thread have said once they changed the ATF it shifts sooo much better and have not had the shuddering since...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the input for the ATF brands. I do like Castrol so I will try it and if it doesn't to the job, I will change to Valvoline. I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Read AlisoBob's original write up where he explains it's 5.5 qts but he adds 6.0 and drains the .5 out once the tranny reaches operating temp. I don't have shuddering on my 19 Traverse with 20k+ miles but many in the thread have said once they changed the ATF it shifts sooo much better and have not had the shuddering since...
Maybe I wasn't clear. I fully understand that only 5.5 qt drained out, but what does it actually hold? If it holds 12 (I'm just making up a number here) but only 5 come out without being opened up or flushed, you don't have all of the old fluid out, so then your 5 of new just mixes with the 7 old. Then you do it a 2nd or 3rd time after mixing the fluids around driving and then you have some degree of confidence that "most" of the fluid is new. I'm pretty sure this is the case with the Gen 1 Traverse.
As an example, I have tow package so it has a cooler. It's holding fluid that will in no way come out by pulling a plug on the trans. Or does it? Torque converter hold fluid? There's no way to get it all completely out without removing the transmission or doing the flush process.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ok, understand. I don't have the manual in front of me for the total number quarts the tranny holds including the TQ. But, what you wrote would eventually exchange the ATF. I'm just going to exchange the 5.5 qts and based on my ATF color after 20K miles on my 19, I will exchange again about 7K miles. and then determine what a good interval will be going forward. Same for my transaxle.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #149 (Edited)
Read AlisoBob's original write up where he explains it's 5.5 qts but he adds 6.0 and drains the .5 out once the tranny reaches operating temp.
Allot of factors play into how much drains out. The big one is the positioning of the car. The drain plug looks to be about in the middle of the transaxle case. If your a car isn't exactly level, some fluid will pool in either the front or rear of the case. Same goes for the sight plug. Its on the left side of the case. If your car is leaning a little to the left, or to the right.. this will effect the final fluid level. The simplest way is to refill it with what ever volume come out. It will be somewhere around 5.5 quarts. If it's much less than that. the fluid level was low to begin with so you need so set the level using the method I described.

Also, I'm not a big fan of mixing fluids. If you are servicing a neglected trans, do the "Double Dump". Service the trans, drive around the block a few times, and service the trans again. This gets most of the crap fluid out of the cooler, T/C, and valve body. Once done, you're good to go.

At that point, you can do a "single service" every 30k miles or so, to keep the fluid clean, and the additive package working.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I dont recommend flushing, any transmission.
How do you not mix fluids and not flush? I did find something on the amsoil site that said the capacity of 9T65 is 10 quarts. But I don't consider that "official" really, and have no idea what the cooler also holds since I do have that vehicle option. I just feel 5.5 quarts seems light, and if that's all you drained/re-filled, I'm pretty sure you mixed fluids. JMO. If it was like 80-90% of the total, I wouldn't worry about it. But we are talking half here. Sure if you are doing this at less than 10k intervals you are more than covered. I'm at 50k, and most won't subscribe to that frequent of service.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Will do Bob. Was just making sure I'm not missing something in your procedure, and guess I'm not. I just think the average Joe should know reading this that if they follow that, they are really only touching about half of the fluid that is in there.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
I just think the average Joe should know reading this that if they follow that, they are really only touching about half of the fluid that is in there.
Totally incorrect. The sump holds 6 quarts and the converter and cooler hold another 4 so its ten quarts total. When you service it once your new fluid to old fluid ratio is already 6/10, which last time I checked was more than 50%.

(Maybe you're doing that common core math sh!t?)

Then , on the second service you dump the sump and refill it. You have 6 quarts of 100% new fluid + 4 quarts that are 60% new fluid and 40% old fluid.
That's equals 8.5 new quarts, or a 85% replacement.

From that point on if you do periodic changes, you are keeping the new to old fluid ratio in check, and replenishing the additives.

This is not rocket science.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Totally incorrect. The sump holds 6 quarts and the converter and cooler hold another 4 so its ten quarts total. When you service it once your new fluid to old fluid ratio is already 6/10, which last time I checked was more than 50%.

(Maybe you're doing that common core math sh!t?)

Then , on the second service you dump the sump and refill it. You have 6 quarts of 100% new fluid + 4 quarts that are 60% new fluid and 40% old fluid.
That's equals 8.5 new quarts, or a 85% replacement.

From that point on if you do periodic changes, you are keeping the new to old fluid ratio in check, and replenishing the additives.

This is not rocket science.
Dude...why the attitude. You actually said 5.5 quarts...exactly...so we'll call it 55%. And you never mentioned a single word about a second fluid dump. That was my point. Based on your post you are now changing 6 quarts...ehem 5.5...every 30k miles.

I came here and asked 2 questions: how much does it actually hold and should there be a second or third dump in the process (like after a few miles of mixing, not 5k or 30k)? You've now said 10 quarts so if you have a source for that please provide. Amsoil says 10 for the trans alone, no clue if that includes TC, and definitely won't include an optional cooler.

No common core sh!t necessary, or rocket fuel.

It measured out a 5.5 quarts exactly.

I plan to do this again at 5000 miles, then every 30k miles afterwords.

The 6 quarts of ATF and the gold plug was $60 and a hour of time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think I've answered my own question on multiple dumps...it's the right way to get it done. But if anyone else has a link to the actual total ATF volume of fluid for trans, TC, cooler, and lines...I'd appreciate if you provide that. Total volume will decide if 2 dumps or 3 dumps gets most of the old stuff. I saw reference to 14-16 purchased qts for Gen1.

5.5qt dump1....drive around a few miles to operating temp....5.5qt dump2....{optional: drive around a few miles to operating temp....5.5qt dump3}....done

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
And you never mentioned a single word about a second fluid dump.
Your reading comprehension needs to be checked.......
If you are servicing a neglected trans, do the "Double Dump". Service the trans, drive around the block a few times, and service the trans again. This gets most of the crap fluid out of the cooler, T/C, and valve body. Once done, you're good to go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ahhh...the edited post trick.;) That wasn't there before. Thanks for adding that in. Now it does make a little more sense, and sounds a lot like what I was suggesting. Maybe that should be added to the first post in this thread for those that don't read 8 pages deep. (y)

·
Registered
134 Posts
This @AlisoBob post has been very helpful and encouraging to me. I changed my fluid out without a glitch especially since he answered a few of my questions.

If someone is going to do their own external research and change fluid based on that and their personal preferences be done with it and move on. Don't taint one of the best - most helpful posts on this forum.

141 - 160 of 176 Posts