Traverse Forum banner

121 - 140 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Plan on doing this tomorrow, then again in maybe 1000 miles just to get as much new full synthetic fluid in as possible. I ordered the plug and will swap that out at the second change. Figure it can only help.

·
Registered
67 Posts
One note, the service manual says to have the car on a level lift. That is not equal to wheels on level ground because the rear is up a bit. Maybe it's nitpicking but I lifted the front a bit until level to make sure I get the oil level correct.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Quick update. I took the car for a short drive and things are good. Mine never had the shudder to begin and gear changes are smooth, now they are just a bit quicker while still being smooth. I'll still do a second change in maybe a month or so, whenever I get a free weekend. I'm still pissed that there isn't a simple dip stick on this transmission. It's also frustrating how hot it needs to be for proper level. My Outback is the same procedure but the temp is lower so you don't have to drive around for half an hour before checking.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
If you heat 6 quarts of ATF up to 150 degrees on the stove and measure the volume, and then bump it up to 200 degrees and remeasure.. the volume is prolly' within a 1% difference.
Regarding fluid level, the insides of a transmission is a very dynamic place. G loads from acceleration , braking, cornering and bumps has the fluid sloshing all over the place.
You should try to get the level spot on... but if you dont, I doubt its really a concern.
There is no "Hot Check" at the GM factory. They build the tranny, dump in the fluid.... and roll.

·
Registered
625 Posts
If you heat 6 quarts of ATF up to 150 degrees on the stove and measure the volume, and then bump it up to 200 degrees and remeasure.. the volume is prolly' within a 1% difference.
Regarding fluid level, the insides of a transmission is a very dynamic place. G loads from acceleration , braking, cornering and bumps has the fluid sloshing all over the place.
You should try to get the level spot on... but if you dont, I doubt its really a concern.
There is no "Hot Check" at the GM factory. They build the tranny, dump in the fluid.... and roll.
I personally detest these fluid fill procedures that require exacting temperatures. It's such a scientific requirement that can't be replicated by normal people maintaining there cars.

I measure what comes out, start maybe 1/2 qt low from that and try my best to replicate the factory check procedure. It's so different vehicle to vehicle so this is why I try to stay close to what came out assuming it was filled properly at the factory or by the last person who did that work.

Reactions: AlisoBob

·
Registered
67 Posts
I found that the Chevy was fairly static once I got to the temp range and I think that's because the temp isn't going up much at idle in park. My 2012 Outback CVT is way harder from that standpoint because the temp to check is about 100 degF. If you pull the level plug on the Outback at 95 degrees the fluid will start to just dribble out but the temp is rising quickly and more will come out with every degree. It never really goes to a drip like on the Traverse. If you set it just below 100 degrees but check it just above, some will come out and it will look to be a bit over. The Outback is also really sensitive to being level in the longitudinal and transverse. I'm not sure on the Traverse since I used a 4 foot level before starting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks AlisoBob for the guide on how to change this - never thought it would be that easy. My 2020 has 2,200 miles and replaced with 6 quarts of Valvoline Dex6 and the magnetic plug. I swear it might be imagining things but when I took it out for a test drive it was shifting like butter.

The only issue is I couldn't find the side plug so i removed about 5.75 quarts (sitting on ramps because there was no way I was fitting under to find the drain plug). I replaced with 6 qts and planned on pulling the side plug but could not find it for the life of me. I looked all over the trans and took off the tire well trim pieces and could not see the same screw as your pictures. I'm don't think i'm that blind?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
I looked all over the trans and took off the tire well trim pieces and could not see the same screw as your pictures. I'm don't think i'm that blind?
With the left front tire removed..... it's very visible.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Getting ready to perform this on my 2019 Premier with just over 20k miles. Ordered the magnetic drain plug 3 weeks ago via Amazon...short story, contacted the manufacture directly and the manufacture resent the drain plug last Friday and should receive the plug this week... I read through the thread and I have a question, I see Valvoline and Mobil 1 being the choice of ATF, has anyone used Castrol ATF? Reason why I'm asking, I still have GM change the oil free for the Traverse, ended up with a second booklet of free oil changes so no oil choice for the Traverse yet. But I've used Castrol Full Sync engine oil in my 09 v8 Colorado with 112K miles and have outstanding results and thought ATF might be as good for the Traverse? I also have a 99 modded SS Camaro and used nothing but Mobil 1 Full Sync, engine oil and ATF with outstanding results too. So...anyone have any thoughts on Castrol Full Sync ATF Dexron VI/Mercon LV?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Getting ready to perform this on my 2019 Premier with just over 20k miles. Ordered the magnetic drain plug 3 weeks ago via Amazon...short story, contacted the manufacture directly and the manufacture resent the drain plug last Friday and should receive the plug this week... I read through the thread and I have a question, I see Valvoline and Mobil 1 being the choice of ATF, has anyone used Castrol ATF? Reason why I'm asking, I still have GM change the oil free for the Traverse, ended up with a second booklet of free oil changes so no oil choice for the Traverse yet. But I've used Castrol Full Sync engine oil in my 09 v8 Colorado with 112K miles and have outstanding results and thought ATF might be as good for the Traverse? I also have a 99 modded SS Camaro and used nothing but Mobil 1 Full Sync, engine oil and ATF with outstanding results too. So...anyone have any thoughts on Castrol Full Sync ATF Dexron VI/Mercon LV?
Mobil's DexVI is not synthetic, so that rules theirs out for me.

Castrol definitely has it's fans. I have no evidence or empirical data to tell you why Valvoline is better than Castrol's DexVI but it's what I went with and what's easily available at the local WalMart so I will stick with it.

I know some on here have used the SuperTech DexVI and liked it as well. I believe it is full synthetic.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
176 Posts
Mobil's DexVI is not synthetic, so that rules theirs out for me.

Castrol definitely has it's fans. I have no evidence or empirical data to tell you why Valvoline is better than Castrol's DexVI but it's what I went with and what's easily available at the local WalMart so I will stick with it.

I know some on here have used the SuperTech DexVI and liked it as well. I believe it is full synthetic.
I have been using Amalie full synth. Dex VI for a few years now in my GM fleet that's listed in my sig. line .
No issues and priced right with 2 day prime delivery.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have been using Amalie full synth. Dex VI for a few years now in my GM fleet that's listed in my sig. line .
No issues and priced right with 2 day prime delivery.
I've been hearing more about Amalie recently on the Pilot forum... no long term reviews yet though...

Personally if we are talking off the wall ATF brands I really want to give Wolf's Head a go. I mean, who doesn't want to "Run With The Wolf!"?

·
Registered
625 Posts
And of course, now that I dig into it a little bit more Wolf's Head and Amalie have the same corporate address in Tampa... no surprise there!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Has anyone confirmed that Dex HP is compatible with the 2018 9 speed? My wife’s traverse has noticeable shudder at low speeds
Currently neither GM or Mobil1 have said that Dex HP is a suitable replacement for DexVI fluid. But if you feel like your transmission isn't improving with fresh DexVI it sounds like some have tried it with success.

Personally, I would not use it until GM or Mobil1 classify it as suitable for DexVI applications unless I was 99% sure I'm heading towards a transmission rebuild.

121 - 140 of 232 Posts