Traverse Forum banner

101 - 120 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great post on servicing the Traverse 9 speed tranny. Please go to Rock Auto and select the transmission filter listed as the ACDelco TF 925. (Look at picture by clicking on "Info".) Where is it located on the transmission?? Inside or outside. My dealer's 9 speed transmission "expert" just gave me I don't know look (?). It would appear to be an external part. My Traverse is a 2020 (Premier), FWD and has been in my driveway for a week. The dealer had to go to FL to get it.

Right now the only thing I want to add is a oil catch can on the vent hose from the PCV (orfice since it contains no valve). I've got a compound guage (Vacuum and pressure) coming. I may tap it on top of the dipstick tube so I can see if there is a pressure build up inside the engine from unvented piston blow by. Just before becoming someones else's problem my 2011 GMC Acadia (30K miles) went through 4 (as in four) qts. of oil in four weeks. By all accounts of reverse engineering it was from a plugged up PVC system and pushing oil past the oil control rings on the pistons. Show us how!

Great link to 540RATBLOG.wordpress.com on oil.

More, more please! Great reading!

·
Registered
291 Posts
That's a LOT of work just to get to the filter!!! Granted, much of the previous on the video was teardown of parts unrelated to accessing the filter, but it certainly isn't one of those things for routine maintenance like changing fluid and filter!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well that answers the question on the ACDelco TF925 transmission filter as listed on Rock Auto. Buried deep inside. Never something I'm going to attempt to change. How do they ever remember how to put that back together ?

Question, with the engine running, can you change out the drain plug without the loss of a lot of fluid??

With only 503 miles on my clock, it's too soon to change fluids. Anybody thought about using an oil drain suction pump to suck out tranny fluid through the fill plug. If you can suck out 5 1/2 to six quarts of tranny oil, why lay on your back??

Thanks AlisoBob!

Next up, oil catch can install instructions??

1. I just checked my "high end" 2020 "Premier Edition" and nothing shows transmission temperature. Even my Scan Guage II plugged in the OBD port does not show tranny temp. FWIW.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Birdman--I've gone thru all the screens in the Driver's Info Center and haven't found a trans temp either. Used to track it on my Equinox all the time.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I got the tow package just to get the trans temp readout. Canceled on the 3LT for 2020. You need to bump up a level, with the tow package, to get it. Totally chickensh!t move by GM

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #108 (Edited)
This is the " Hot" transmission cooler line on my 2020 Traverse. The arrow is the direction of flow for the oil going to the cooler. The hashmarks are where I intend to cut the hardline and splice in a external transmission filter so I never have to worry about the internal filter ever clogging.

The Traverse has 5500 miles on it. It has been perfect in every way so far. At 10k miles I will consider it "Road Worthy" and will cut the factory hard line with this mini tube cutter...

...and splice in the Magnefine external filter. Here is a cutaway.

It has a magnet, and a pleated filter element. The element has a bypass feature so it if ever clogs, it will not restrict flow. I can swap these out every 20k miles or so for $20. Cheap insurance in my book.

I much prefer the original version, made in Australia, not the new chinese made one, so shop carefully!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think I would use a bigger filter than that. I would at least match the inlet and outlet to the size of the pipe I'm going to cut. Any idea of the temperature and flow rate through that cooling line?? Attachment to the pipe with rubber tubing and hose clamps? Personally I would install on the "cold" side line going back to the tranny.
Darn good idea.

·
Registered
709 Posts
You must like plugged tranny coolers.
Everything you have mentioned on this forum regarding maintenance or modifications has been first rate, I commend you.

In all my years on various forums (just look at my signature), the only forum I've heard of plugged transmission coolers was on the Silverado forum. I think the chances are minimal that occurs on these vehicles.

Reactions: Ed999

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is the " Hot" transmission cooler line on my 2020 Traverse. The arrow is the direction of flow for the oil going to the cooler. The hashmarks are where I intend to cut the hardline and splice in a external transmission filter so I never have to worry about the internal filter ever clogging.
Thanks for the info, will come in handy when cutting into the line for my add-ons.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #113 (Edited)
From a GM Line Mechanic friend of mine...
"The last Camaro torque converter replacement I did showed no debris in pan and just a little bit sitting on the filter. When I tried to flush the cooler, there was no flow. Found that cooler was plugged. Transmission would have been damaged if the radiator / trans cooler were not replaced. Coolers do plug."

Now, for the real question? Did the failing converter plug the cooler, or did the plugged cooler fail the T/C ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
You must like plugged tranny coolers.
Point well taken. Filter before the cooler. However......... been around cars all my life but never heard of a plugged up tranny cooler.
Keep up the good work, let's not forget the oil catch can install.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Will somebody please tell me how to do a PM to communicate directly with a Forum member? I've clicked on every icon I can find and no luck. Is the direct exchange of Emails and phone numbers against Forum rules??

I got an idea, maybe a good one. I'd like to communicate it with AlisoBob (and maybe other tech guru's)
and hear his response before I post it out here for the world to see. I can talk better than I can type. With a cell phone, long distance is free.

Back home (the hills of NC) it has been said that Ignorance and Stupidity are one in the same. No so.... Ignorance can be cured with education, but Stupidity goes bone deep and has no cure. Sometimes it's best just to keep your mouth shut and let people wonder. Also keeps your backside from being flamed.

I just found out how to post a picture, but have yet to try it.

Oh, on the oil catch can, just showing the can don't hack it (however, really nice looking installation), It would help to show where it interfaces and connects to the V-6 PVC system.

GoldPlug LLC has not responded to my telephone calls or Email to obtain a part number for the magnetic oil pan drain plug on the Traverse. AlisoBob gave us the part no. for the tranny. Anybody got the part number so I can get it from Amazon.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Will somebody please tell me how to do a PM to communicate directly with a Forum member? I've clicked on every icon I can find and no luck. Is the direct exchange of Emails and phone numbers against Forum rules??

I
Click on their avatar, then click on Start Conversation. Apparently "private messages" are now "conversations." Don't ask me why - makes no sense. I would call what we're having here as more of a conversation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Update: 2019 Chevy Traverse High Country edition - significant shuddering existed at 3,400 miles.
It was purchased in Salt Lake City Utah and was driven to Houston, Texas.
The shuddering began in Houston a few weeks after arriving.
Considering all I've read, it makes sense - a lot more humidity in Houston, Texas.
Meanwhile, I followed all the recommendations in these posts (exist the inline filter - waiting on that).
New Trany oil with magnetic screw and all the diff. places changed as well - runs soooo smooth.
I can't believe Chevy missed this one!! Thanks for all the help.

101 - 120 of 288 Posts