Traverse Forum banner

81 - 100 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I got some photo's for you guys...... Didn't snap a photo of the fluid as it was still cherry red. First is the magnet, pulled after only 1600 miles. Some small debris...... and a big steel sliver!

Here's a paper towel, after I wiped the magnet clean..... the snail track is the usual debris you find on these magnets, the sliver is to the right.

The filter inside the transmission is installed at build. There is no practical way to service it. As the debris packs the filter media, it gets restrictive. The more restriction, the less oil it can flow and the transmissions performance will suffer.

On the Allison transmission, there is a bypass built into the filter. The Green circle is the normal flowpath for the fluid. Should the filter clog, the bypass opens where the Red circle is . The idea is non filtered oil flow is better than no oil flow. As you can imagine, once the bypass opens, transmission life decreases dramatically. As the Traverse filter is not serviceable. I'm sure it has similar construction.

While the magnetic drainplug will not catch friction material or non ferrous bits, its at least an attempt at keeping the Traverse internal filter as clean as we can, for as long as we can.

The Blue Label M1 is in my 2020. Behaves like Dex VI No surprizes....

When I swapped out the fluid, I pulled the rear tires up onto 2X4's to level it better. I also made lunch while it was draining. The result was the full 6 quarts being drained. (I guess leveling the car should be more of a priority)

So there you have it.... at only 1600 miles,the magnetic drainplug has proven worthwhile.....,

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
In case you're wondering where such a big sliver could have come from, unlike transmissions the FWD transaxles also contain the ring and pinion gears, which are quite large. In some transaxles they run in a separate oil bath, but in ours they run in the same ATF the transmission uses. There is some sizeable metal, slinging around in there! Even more reason to service it periodically.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
deleted

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well I joined the club today. 2019 AWD w/trailering package, 7300 miles.
Drained out 5 qt original fluid, was a bit darker than the new stuff (but not bad).
Replaced standard plug with the magnetic one mentioned in this thread and refilled with 5 qts of the Valvoline DEX VI.

Will probably repeat this process at the 10K mark.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks G. Frog !
Also a little late in thanking you for the LED fog-light upgrade tutorial - did that upgrade about 8 months ago. Your how-to photos were priceless

·
Registered
66 Posts
First transmission service on my 2019 AWD High Country @ 5120 miles. Fluid just slightly discolored in the attached pic, old fluid on the left. Drained out a couple ounces over six quarts, refilled with six and barely a drop or two out of the side plug, so had to add a bit more. Also installed a new magnetic drain plug. OK, time to laugh, but a warning to those who have not done a trans service with a side checking plug - DO NOT STOP THE ENGINE WITHOUT FIRST REINSTALLING THE SIDE PLUG ! You'll have quite a nice little expensive red puddle underneath if you do. Thanks for this thread, very helpful !!

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
First transmission service on my 2019 AWD High Country.........DO NOT STOP THE ENGINE WITHOUT FIRST REINSTALLING THE SIDE PLUG !
Dont forget about the TX case, and Rear Diff.
Yes, excellent advise. Do not shut it off with the side plug out!

·
Registered
179 Posts
As for the Rear Diff / TX case;
can anyone confirm if magnetic drain plugs are available?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #91 (Edited)
If your rear diff looks like this, it would be wise to service it, drive it around for 10 minutes and service it again. The cost for that 2nd quart , will be money well spent.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Great tips and video on the transfer case & rear diff. change. Have to put it up on a lift. It was a stretch (literally) doing the transmission on level ground. That side plug is a tough reach!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Great Info on the TX case and Rear Differential - Thank You !!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here's how to service the new 9 speed transmission. The wifey's Traverse just hit 2k miles, so lets take a look as see how it's doing. If you can change your own oil, you can do this!! The dealer charges a ton of money to do it, and putting it off could cost you a transmission... so lets get to it! The reason I'm doing it so early is to get the factory oil out, look for any debris, and to install a magnetic drainplug. These transmissions have a non servicable filter.... how dumb! The Allison 1000 in my Duramax trucks has a small spin on, much like a engine oil filter. Why the new 9 speed does not is beyond my thinking. This is the Allison filter...
View attachment 8927

First, find a good level spot. Most garage floors are level enough. Start by draining the old fluid.... you need a drainpan and 11mm or 7-16ths socket. Let it drain all the way out. This could take 10 minutes or so.
View attachment 8926

Next, replace the stock drainplug with the Gold Plug. It's not like a cheapo you get a Autozone. This thing is strong!
View attachment 8928 View attachment 8929
It screws in with a 10mm socket . I got mine from Amazon.
View attachment 8930

There is allot of metal slinging around is this transmission, including the ring and pinion gear. Some FWD transmissions have a separate "Final Drive" full of gear oil for the ring and pinion... not this one. You want any debris to gather on the magnet, rather than plug up the filter.

Then, take the old oil and pour it into something to measure the volume. Here it is sitting in the drain pan. For only having 2k miles on it it's already turning dark and a has a bit of a stink to it.Healthy atf is cherry red... this is more like dark cherry..
View attachment 8931 .

Here it is being measured.You can see how dark it is. It measured out a 5.5 quarts exactly.
View attachment 8932

Next , pop off the engine cover and remove the fill plug and shove the funnel in.You need a T30 Torx driver to get one bolt out, then the cover pops right off. This long funnel is available at any auto supply store.
View attachment 8933 View attachment 8934

Dump in 6 quarts of DEX VI ATF. I like Valvoline Synthetic . But wait!! Only 5.5 quarts came out. WTF? Well. You can make a choice here. You can put 5.5 quarts in and call it a day, or you can put in the full 6 quarts and set the fluid level... and here's how.

Start it up and let it run for a bit. Let the engine fan come on a few times, so you know it's at full operation temp. Then pull out the "Level" plug WHILE IT'S RUNNING!. It lives behind the left front tire. If you added 6 quarts, then .5 quarts should come out and then it will slowly drip. Reinstall the "Level" plug now. This is what I did. I collected the oil that came out and it was exactly .5 quarts.... so either method works fine.
View attachment 8935

Then, go for a test drive and look for leaks. I plan to do this again at 5000 miles, then every 30k miles afterwords.

I keep my vehicles for 200k miles.... and regardless of brand or size I do this to every single one..... and I've never replaced a trans in any of them. It's very cheap insurance. The 6 quarts of ATF and the gold plug was $60 and a hour of time. If you have any questions.... ask away. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
Thank you for the excellent pics and procedure. Just performed this procedure today at 21,000 miles. Had no idea the fluid would be so dirty. Again, most appreciated! 2018 Traverse LT FWD, 3.6L

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh my goodness what a blessing to have this information.
I am not a mechanic but LOVE to tinker as a mechanic - enthusiast. :) And as you'll see, I sometimes learn the hard way.
I'll share my findings as I go along my journey as well and outside of my questions being answered I'm hopeful this post my help others.
History: In the past few months I've purchased TWO Salvaged 2019 Chevy Traverses.
The first vehicle, a 2019 Chevy Traverse High Country Edition with a 9-speed transmission, was a mechanical front end collision with 346 miles on it. It was completely fixed/restored with nothing done to either the Transmission or Engine. I drove it without issue from Utah (Salt Lake City) to Texas (Houston).
At roughly 3,200 miles the shuddering began. We're now at 4,500 miles on the odometer and it's very noticeable between the 20-45 mph in 3rd-4th gear!
If I accelerate really fast it vanishes but if it's a slow acceleration the shuddering is painfully obvious even to passengers!
Since it's a Salvaged Vehicle it doesn't always get the coverage a new vehicle gets (warranty wise) and I bear the brunt of mosts costs...so you can imagine what I was feeling after this all occurred :). It was a shot in the gut since, from what I've learned, generally when there's shuddering is the TTC - Transmission Torque Converter.
Initially towed a cargo trailer behind the vehicle from Salt Lake City to Houston and thought the tranny needed to be reprogrammed.
Since I do have an Autel Maxisys Elite I did reprogram a fast learn for the transmission (as well as updated all the other modules in the vehicle).
But that was not the issue! Initially the Traverse operated more smoothly but still noticeable for the first few days but then the shuddering returned as strong as it was before.
After reading all the posts yesterday I was encouraged!
I ordered the magnetic Gold Plug as well as the Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP oil and will be replacing it as soon as I get the oil.
Now the second vehicle, a 2019 Chevy Traverse Premiere with a 8-speed Transmission, I purchased from an auction site as FLOODED SALVAGED VEHICLE and picked up locally in Houston. It sat for several months (about 6 months) before I picked it up.
I'm new to all this and naive in the process of auction buying (which is a good and a bad thing).
Once I got the vehicle I completely gutted the inside, cleaned it, and replace all the old components and modules that needed it and reprogrammed them to the VIN through GMs TDS website (ACDelco TDS). I rebuilt the starter (since rust built up) and tested it.
It's been a bit harder to diagnose and figure things out since I don't have a manual or not manual is available for these newer vehicles. Somehow I'm slowly figuring things out.
Now, when I try and start the vehicle, it pauses then the electronics turn on as if it started but it doesn't turn over.
I can turn the crank shaft pulley so I'm still trying to figure out why it's not turning over.
I haven't put all the seats back in the vehicle which means all the SIDE AIRBAGS are out and maybe that's the problem of why it's not starting - but I doubt it.
All or any waters in the engine was removed and thoroughly cleaned and the engine put back together.
So now I'm wondering if it's the TTC - Transmission Torque Converter and it being rusted. I did drain the fluid and put the original ACDELCO DEX VI in the transmission (before I knew better).
Anyhow - I need to know why it's not even turning over. Any thoughts or next steps for diagnosis? I have the original key and it works so I've ruled out a security issue (but I could be wrong).

A few additional questions:
1. Referencing the Bulletin No: 18-NA-355 why has the Chevrolet Traverse not been added to this?
2. Outside of the Transmission oil replaced: what other places where mentioned to change the transmission oil? Rear Differential and where else? Also is it the SAME oil to be used in the Differential as in the Transmission - Mobile 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP?
3. If this is an issue, especially if the vehicle is under warranty, why would GM not be servicing this vehicles without a fee? Should they be doing it for free?
4. For the 2019 Chevy Traverse Premiere - I'd want to replace this Transmission oil as well with the Mobile 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP?
5. When I change the Transmission oil first from the 2019 Chevy Traverse High Country - would any of you recommend that I reprogram fast learn on the Transmission since I have the tool or is it not really needed?
A long post I know but thanks for any help.

·
Registered
291 Posts
UPDATE: As I posted in another thread, my Traverse is back in the dealership's service department; the shuddering diminished after they replaced fluid with Mobil 1 LV ATF HP with anti-shudder additives and seemed to go away after approximately 200 miles of driving (as directed by TSB.) However, we now have approximately 1500 miles since the fluid change and the shuddering is coming back. It's not as severe or as frequent as it was previously, but just enough to remind us that it's still there. Service manager stated it will require some driving on their part in order to duplicate, then they will pull transmission and most likely change the torque converter. They've had it four days; about time for me to call for a status update. For my peace of mind, I would like to see them do a Torque Converter replace, but I am willing to give them opportunity to follow their prescribed procedures. I am going to change fluid again at about 12-15,000 mile point, however.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Thanks AlisoBob. I'm confident they will make good in their repairs. They have a good technical staff/team and an outstanding reputation. Service manager commented to me that they had a similar Traverse situation a couple weeks ago that they resolved with TC replacement. They aren't averse to taking things through the ultimate repair requirement.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Thanks AlisoBob. I'm confident they will make good in their repairs. They have a good technical staff/team and an outstanding reputation. Service manager commented to me that they had a similar Traverse situation a couple weeks ago that they resolved with TC replacement. They aren't averse to taking things through the ultimate repair requirement.
If only you lived closer to me. Unfortunately EVERY deal I have personally worked with in my area has been horrible.

81 - 100 of 288 Posts