Traverse Forum banner

61 - 80 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
cintocrunch and AlisoBob--I understand; I'll attempt to contact with greater diligence!

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
The NAPA stuff....

The Valvoline Stuff

They look identical, although the MSDS don't reveal each and every additive.
I would say with 99% confidence that this is the same stuff.
Thanks for sharing Barri !

Near me, the Valvoline stuff is under $6 a quart. NAPA is higher.
View attachment 8982

Question? How often do you service the tranny, and has the fluid ever looked funky ?

had not seen your post... sorry.
But I see your post shows Laguna Niguel. Not too far from here (LA).
I did a search on WM, and came back with 2 options- $10.76 and $9.99 per quart. One sold by Zoro and the other by Advance auto. Very Interesting indeed.

These have been my intervals.

The time that it looked the worst, was the 1st drain.
The other service I did to the tranny was replacing the laminate discs in the techm at 143,775.
I have pictures here....

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
One of my employee's has Silverado, shuddering like crazy. Of course it has Dex VI and of course it's out of warranty. The dealer was of no help, other than to quote a transmission overhaul.
Here 's a shocking photo of the magnet. It's not all metallic particles.... it's a metallic "Goo" for lack of a better word.

He cleaned it all out and flushed the cooler.

And refilled it with the Blue Label ( He did the double drain deal)

It's been a week and I did not want to say anything until some time passed. I was on a jobsite with him today and he told me... " It's much better! Not perfect, but better!" I'll let you know if it improves more, or it the transmission dies at some point. I've never seen a pan magnet with that much crap on it.

This is what I use in ALL my GM vehicles, and the daughters BMW ( It has a GM trans as well)
1585329558975.png

I just drained serviced it after 100k miles. Here is the result. Clean as a whistle

Granted, the Allison 1000 does not have the shudder issues some tranny's have, but it does occur.

Good luck to everyone who is experiencing transmission issues . They are never fun........

·
Registered
468 Posts
Good info and if I was heading towards a rebuild I'd consider just about anything to put that off. Definitely keep this thread updated with his experiences.

Are you going to do another pan drop for him to clean the magnet again assuming there was still "shmoo" floating around the transmission?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Jeep does it to on the NAG-1 trans the JK wranglers were using, sourced from Mercedes. Many of the Mercedes models had drain plugs in the pan... but noooooo, not the Wrangler. And the dang crossover pipe for the exhaust forces you to disconnect part of the exhaust or unbolt the trans from the crossmember and jack it up to get to the pan bolt. What a pain!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Finally got to speak with the service manager of Don Ringler Chevrolet in Temple, Texas (GREAT service and sales departments!!!) regarding the fluid they used. It indeed was the Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP, Blue Label! He was very cooperative in looking for the information, and said if the trans gives ANY problems at all to bring it back and they would take care of it.
Please find out what fluid the dealer used! "Fluid Exchange" usually means hooking it up to a machine and swapping out 100% of the fluid. Good luck and keep us informed.

It should of / could of been this. The BLUE label .... $45 for 6 quarts with free shipping is hard to beat.
View attachment 9025

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)
Finally got to speak with the service manager of Don Ringler Chevrolet in Temple, Texas (GREAT service and sales departments!!!) regarding the fluid they used. It indeed was the Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP, Blue Label!
Sweet! I know what I'm doing this weekend!!
Thanks for following up and confirming what we suspected....

In case it hasn't become clear yet.... Mobil makes some outstanding lubricants. It's about all I use. "Boutique" oil's like Amsoil or Scheffers are really expensive and I have seen no proof it's any better or gives reasons to justify it's expense. Stick with Mobil, and you'll be alright.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Finally got to speak with the service manager of Don Ringler Chevrolet in Temple, Texas (GREAT service and sales departments!!!) regarding the fluid they used. It indeed was the Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP, Blue Label! He was very cooperative in looking for the information, and said if the trans gives ANY problems at all to bring it back and they would take care of it.
Wow very interesting information. Did he confirm it was due to a TSB or why they used that over Dex VI?

Very interesting, thank you for gathering this information!

·
Registered
133 Posts
cintocrunch--He stated it was done in compliance with the documentation/direction the technician had found pertaining to the issue. Work Order states "Test drove and found DOC 5420642 to change trans fluid to correct this concern." Don't know if that "Doc" is a TSB or not. Sorry, the WO isn't more specific.

·
Registered
467 Posts
So I'm just curious, does anyone know if the factory switched over to the Mobil ATF and the approximate date?

I know in truck land 3/19 is the supposed cut over date for the 8L and 10Ls. Just wondering if the same exists for Traverse's and the 9T. On the trucks with a pre 3/19 date and an owner complaining of shudder GM directed the dealers to do the flush without question.

·
Registered
133 Posts
nhrata01--My Traverse was built 14 Jan, 2020. I don't have any idea what fluid was in at the factory, but the Mobil 1 installed by the dealer appears to have resolved the issue--at least at this point. Similarly, there was no question at the dealership about course of action; they had experienced it previously in trucks (service manager had experienced in his own) as well as in Traverses.

·
Registered
468 Posts
cintocrunch--He stated it was done in compliance with the documentation/direction the technician had found pertaining to the issue. Work Order states "Test drove and found DOC 5420642 to change trans fluid to correct this concern." Don't know if that "Doc" is a TSB or not. Sorry, the WO isn't more specific.
I'm all for upgrading to what should be a superior fluid, and if I had a 9T I would probably look to do so. I don't have any shuddering in my 6T though, just the clunky downshift from 2 to 1 at low speeds when I get back on the gas. As has been mentioned, if I get more symptoms and think I'm heading towards a transmission replacement I may look to try that fluid just to see.

·
Registered
124 Posts
How do we confirm Mobil 1 is acceptable by GM? I'm still under warranty on my 2019 and just purchased the magnetic plug and Valvoline Dex VI.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
If you have no shudder issues, and under warranty, I'd stick with the Valvoline DEX 6 .......

·
Registered
124 Posts
OK - took all the great info @AlisoBob gave and bought the mag plug and Valvoline DEX VI.

Actually easier to change trans fluid than oil on this 2019 Traverse.

Found I didn't need to remove the plastic engine cover to get at the filler cap. Ha - made sure I could remove the filler cap before I drained it.

I did wrap the plug with some teflon since it seemed the stock plug possibly had a solid sealant. That magnet is very strong. I thought I used the wrong socket size and jammed it on but it was just the force of the magnet.

Don't know if it's an issue but my drained oil came out to about an oz. over 6 quarts. Too much????

(Guess I can just add the 6-quarts, warm it up and pull the level plug.)

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
124 Posts
OK - took all the great info @AlisoBob gave and bought the mag plug and Valvoline DEX VI.

Actually easier to change trans fluid than oil on this 2019 Traverse.

I did wrap the plug with some teflon since it seemed the stock plug possibly had a solid sealant. That magnet is very strong. I thought I used the wrong socket size and jammed it on but it was just the force of the magnet.

Don't know if it's an issue but my drained oil came out to about an oz. over 6 quarts. Too much????

(Guess I can just add the 6-quarts, warm it up and pull the level plug.)

Thanks
Mike
Was wondering - my Traverse has the towing package. Could that account for the larger volume?

Sorry for two posts - just figured out how to edit one. Here are my tranny cocktails (just under 15K - no shutter on mine - cross fingers):

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Could that account for the larger volume?

Unless everyone has their Traverse perfectly level front to back and side to side.... we will all have slightly different amounts of fluid drained out, assuming they are all perfectly filled to start with. Follow the proceedures posted above and things will turn out fine. Either a half quart low or a half quart over is a full quart swing. Surely we can get it withing those marks if we uses a little care.... right?

;)

Congrats on servicing your 9 speed. A job well done!

61 - 80 of 118 Posts