Traverse Forum banner

41 - 60 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
PS--AlisoBob--Would you mind posting the complete bulletin, with bulletin number, that addresses this issue. I'd like to be able to take it with me when I go to dealer service department. Thanks again.
There is no specific "Transverse 9 speed" bulletin..... yet. All bulletins are for the 8 speed but both transmissions share similar torque converter technology, materials, fluids, and programming. I'm not waiting to take preventive measures.....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks for the explanation of what and why it happens. Based on on Traverse's new condition and only 3500 miles, I'm inclined to think that it is more than just a transmission fluid additive problem. However, I have an appointment for tomorrow and I'll let them proceed with their analysis/diagnosis process. I'm anticipating a fluid change, as a minimum. I won't let them brush it off, though; I can be a real pain in the @$$ if I have to be to get things resolved. Again, thanks for the information.

Reactions: AlisoBob

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
From a member on Bobistheoilguy.com

"According to GM, the shudder problem was the DEX VI fluid being very hygroscopic, so much so that the fluid would not give up the water even when hot.

The accumulated water in the fluid affected the friction of the fluid and created the shudder especially when the engine was operating in V4 mode which has built in TCC slip of around 10 rpm to reduce felt engine vibration in V4.
Unfortunately the wet fluid created the shudder.
The new fluid from Mobil is supposed to fix the issue.
The TSB 18-NA-355 is new as is the fluid and change procedure which varies depending on the vehicle.
Initially the fluid is in short supply, and is being rationed to areas of the country that had the most problem which are the humid states in the south and south east. It should be country wide by Feb/March

The TSB is available online, but for a $15 fee.
I'm sure it will become available on the "no charge" sites soon enough".

Lessons learned... if your in a humid state, change the ATF more often.

·
Registered
162 Posts
AlisoBob--Again, your information is valuable to me. My driving to this point in time has been in areas that have experienced rain and high humidity, but I would have thought that it would have taken more than 3500 miles for the condition to develop.

As I drove to the dealership this morning, when I experienced the shuddering, I lightly applied the brakes--but it had no effect on the shuddering. The dealership performed the transmission fluid exchange--not sure if it was a flush or just a drain and fill, and their explanation of service just states "...changed trans fluid and test drove again. Vehicle drives better but still there. Allow 200 miles of driving to see if concern is resolved." I am still experiencing the shudder, but it is less severe than before. I'm going to drive the additional 200 miles to see if it goes away, remains the same, or gets worse.

I'll keep the thread updated with developments.

Clark

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Please find out what fluid the dealer used! "Fluid Exchange" usually means hooking it up to a machine and swapping out 100% of the fluid. Good luck and keep us informed.

It should of / could of been this. The BLUE label .... $45 for 6 quarts with free shipping is hard to beat.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
This stuff has been around for years. I've never tried it but if your Traverse is older and out of warranty, it's worth a shot..

·
Registered
128 Posts
Please find out what fluid the dealer used! "Fluid Exchange" usually means hooking it up to a machine and swapping out 100% of the fluid. Good luck and keep us informed.

It should of / could of been this. The BLUE label .... $45 for 6 quarts with free shipping is hard to beat.
View attachment 9025
AlisoBob - Earlier you recommended Valvoline Dex VI. Is Mobil 1 better? I'm about ready to order the plug and fluid.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
538 Posts
AlisoBob - Earlier you recommended Valvoline Dex VI. Is Mobil 1 better? I'm about ready to order the plug and fluid.

Thanks
Mike
This needs to be reiterated:

-All Traverses required Dex VI fluid
-Valvoline has a full synthetic Dex VI fluid
-Mobil Synthetic LV ATF HP is Dex HP approved
-GM has not released a bulletin saying Dex HP is equivalent to Dex VI
-The TSB posted is for 8 sped longitudinally installed transmissions, NOT the transverse 6 speed or 9 speed that the Traverse has used
-The Mobil Synthetic LV ATF HP fluid may be better in our transmissions, but GM and Mobil1 will both tell you to use Dex VI fluid, so use at your own risk!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Bingo! The Valvoline Dex VI is an approved fluid that meets your warranty requirements and states it has "anti shudder" additives. This is the fluid the vast majority of you should be using. If you service your transmission every 40k miles or so, it should have a long and shudder free life.

The Blue label Mobil could be used by those out of warranty who are experiencing shudder issues as it's the fluid that GM has advised it's dealerships to use to try to reverse shudder symptoms. As Crunchy pointed out, this is a use at your own risk kind of deal. The fluid is Dexron approved, but not for our exact application. If your transmission is shuddering, you dont have much to lose as a overhaul is already on the horizon. I'm looking for posts where owners had good success with this fluid. I'll post them up as I find them.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Bingo! The Valvoline Dex VI is an approved fluid that meets your warranty requirements and states it has "anti shudder" additives. This is the fluid the vast majority of you should be using. If you service your transmission every 40k miles or so, it should have a long and shudder free life.

The Blue label Mobil could be used by those out of warranty who are experiencing shudder issues as it's the fluid that GM has advised it's dealerships to use to try to reverse shudder symptoms. As Crunchy pointed out, this is a use at your own risk kind of deal. The fluid is Dexron approved, but not for our exact application. If your transmission is shuddering, you dont have much to lose as a overhaul is already on the horizon. I'm looking for posts where owners had good success with this fluid. I'll post them up as I find them.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Here's a little nugget. "DEXRON HP" has been successfully used in our transaxles.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Here's a little nugget. "DEXRON HP" has been successfully used in our transaxles.

View attachment 9032

Good info but I didn't see on the site where they got that source... I'm willing to believe it I just want to see documentation from GM stating as such.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
It seems like a well put together article. If you scroll to the bottom, the majority of the info comes from sae.org......

·
Registered
538 Posts
It seems like a well put together article. If you scroll to the bottom, the majority of the info comes from sae.org......
No question it is very informative, it is just the first piece of evidence I've seen stating anything other than Dex VI was used in the 9TXX. The article specifically mentions the 9T50, which was not used in the Traverse.

Also, most of the references are from SAE, which is excellent, but they tag the facts in the article with the reference where it was available. That line about this fluid being used in the 9T50 does not have a reference tag.

Please understand, I am not trying to be a contrarian here but am trying to present things that are facts and things that have not been verified/validated so that people who read this thread can make their own decision.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Please understand, I am not trying to be a contrarian here but am trying to present things that are facts and things that have not been verified/validated so that people who read this thread can make their own decision.
That should be the goal of any information exchange......

·
Registered
162 Posts
Update. WE have completed the 200 miles of driving as recommended after the transmission fluid was replaced. We continued to have shuddering during the first 100 miles or so, but from approx 120 miles to present we have not experienced any shuddering at all. Still keeping a watchful eye on it and preserving the documentation from the dealer's service--just in the event that it returns. I have also determined that I will do (or have done) a transmission fluid change again at about the 15-20,000 mile point in the event the shudder hasn't returned at that point.

I believe I experienced shuddering during the 120 miles after fluid change because it was probably NOT a complete fluid exchange, with residual fluid actually remaining in the converter. My supposition is that it took 120 miles for that fluid to get completely intermixed with the new fluid and for the new additives to be able to do their job within the torque converter. AlisoBob, cintocrunch, rbarrios--or others--please correct me if I'm off track.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
The friction material in the torque converter is fibrous, like a brake pad. After you partially swap fluids, they mix completely in 2 minutes when you start the car.

What does not mix is the fluid absorbed in the friction material. That takes some time to balance out, as you have seen.

PLEASE find out what fluid the dealer used. If you have any doubts they did not exchange 100% of the fluid,, I would not wait 20k miles to service it. I would do it much sooner.

·
Registered
162 Posts
AlisoBob--Thanks for your comments and clarification; Covid-19 has limited my ability to contact them for confirmation of type fluid, but I have confidence they followed the GM guidance; they are a highly regarded, respected dealership. Having said that, no one is infallible. I like your approach of servicing the trans earlier than the 20k miles point. May even do it before the 10k point. Assuming the shudder doesn't recur. Thanks again.

·
Registered
538 Posts
AlisoBob--Thanks for your comments and clarification; Covid-19 has limited my ability to contact them for confirmation of type fluid, but I have confidence they followed the GM guidance; they are a highly regarded, respected dealership. Having said that, no one is infallible. I like your approach of servicing the trans earlier than the 20k miles point. May even do it before the 10k point. Assuming the shudder doesn't recur. Thanks again.
Definitely reach out to them and see what fluid they used, as AlisoBob suggested. GM has been issuing some updated fluid TSBs for certain transmissions and I know AlisoBob and I are both trying to find evidence of that updated fluid (which does NOT state it is DexVI compatible) being used in the 6 or 9 speed transverse auto.

41 - 60 of 133 Posts