Traverse Forum banner
381 - 394 of 394 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks everyone who contributed to this thread. After reading all 382 posts, I did a triple drain and fill over the last few days. The fluid was very dark, but smelled ok, for having 30,000 miles. I can get a case of 6 bottles of blue label Dexron HP fluid for $60 on Amazon. I may just do a drain and fill every other oil change. It just bothers me how dark it was for only 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I went ahead and did the double dump drain and refill using the Mobile 1 LV ATF HP. GoldPlug never shipped the transmission drain pan magnetic plug so for now my wife's 2020 Traverse has still got the factory plug. However, I did go ahead and get Bob's alternative (Magnetic Plug, Hex Socket 1/8-27 NPT | Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies). I actually live 10 minutes away from Pegasus Supplies so was able to do a counter pickup.

I'll put that in this weekend - hopefully just losing a splash of fluid in the process. The magnet might be a bit less powerful than the GoldPlug, but it still feels plenty good. Definitely a bit of piece of mind on an otherwise non-serviceable transmission.
thanks for the info. How is the mobile 1 LV hp blue holding up?

·
Registered
5 Posts
thanks for the info. How is the mobile 1 LV hp blue holding up?
My wife's traverse is now over 30k and no issues noticed. I don't have much to compare to as I never experienced the transmission shudder others have mentioned. No regrets putting in the Mobile 1 LV ATF though. Thanks again to Bob for the excellent how-to thread. The car has never been back to the dealer except for a complimentary tire rotation. I had to explicitly tell them not to do an oil change as I don't want anyone else doing that. I always pre-fill the filter to avoid a dry start condition and I know that's not done anywhere else. The only other maintenance I've done besides the oil changes and tranny fluid dump/fill is changing the air filter which was a breeze.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I finally did my first drain and fill at 20k for our 2020. It was easier than I thought(thanks to Bob's how-to). I got just under 6 qts out, replaced with the same. I found lots of gunk in the bottom of the drain pan. I don't have a magnetic plug yet(Gold Plug still out of stock), but seeing that makes me want to get one for the next drain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello fellow frustrated Traverse owners. New here after buying a 2019 lease turn in with 35k miles on it. I just finished round one of the trans fluid swap. Sooooo glad I got turned on to this early to prevent issues. The fluid looked terrible. Thanks to all here for the tech advise. I found a mag plug in stock for those who have waited patiently for the gold plug. Free USPS too. Good luck all.
Font Screenshot Automotive tire Gas Fastener

·
Registered
2022 Chevrolet Traverse RS
31 Posts
Hello fellow frustrated Traverse owners. New here after buying a 2019 lease turn in with 35k miles on it. I just finished round one of the trans fluid swap. Sooooo glad I got turned on to this early to prevent issues. The fluid looked terrible. Thanks to all here for the tech advise. I found a mag plug in stock for those who have waited patiently for the gold plug. Free USPS too. Good luck all.
View attachment 11416
That's the one I got

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #392 · (Edited)
I have a few Duramax / Allison trans trucks. For the longest time the best fluid you could get was the TES-295 fluid. Castrol just came out with the new TES-668 fluid..... rated for 300,000 mile service intervals under normal usage. Dang, thats a long ways!!!!
Gas Font Automotive tire Paint Electric blue

Azure Font Electric blue Rectangle Circle

TES-668 is backwards compatible to TES-295 and that fluid is backwards compatible to DEX VI.

Once the warranty is up on the Wifey's Traverse, this is the fluid that's going into it !!!

It will "Time Out" due to excessive mileage before too much longer.... it's currently at 46k or so.....
Human body Font Circle Logo Brand

Eye Rectangle Font Smile Art

·
Registered
2019 Premier FWD
129 Posts
Bob - I'm curious - Once you make the switch to TES-668, what do you think you'll use as your drain interval? Push it all the way to 300k miles?

-RandyMan

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #394 ·
The actual spec is 300,000 miles or 4 years in service. I'll do it every 3 years, which is about 75,000 miles with the way Wifey drives. It's about $45 a gallon so a drain and refill is about $65 or $22 a year. That's pretty cheap for the best fluid that's out there.

381 - 394 of 394 Posts