Traverse Forum banner
361 - 380 of 394 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just found another source for a magnetic oil drain plug:

I'm still debating on a magnetic plug which catches super fine particles vs a Fumoto valve which makes it super easy to drain the oil. If I go with the Fumoto valve, I'll likely use a Napa Gold filter (Wix) with a micron rating of 21.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #362 ·
Micron rating means nothing without efficiency numbers. Wix could call it a 5 micron filter, but thats only at 1% efficiency.

Most all Wix Gold filters are 30 micron at 98.7 % efficiency, also known as "absolute". Most name brand filters fall into this category .

·
Registered
2020 High Country
1,169 Posts
I'm not a valve fan, they use plugs for a reason. Road debris or even a critter can fly up and snap a valve off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I went ahead and did the double dump drain and refill using the Mobile 1 LV ATF HP. GoldPlug never shipped the transmission drain pan magnetic plug so for now my wife's 2020 Traverse has still got the factory plug. However, I did go ahead and get Bob's alternative (Magnetic Plug, Hex Socket 1/8-27 NPT | Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies). I actually live 10 minutes away from Pegasus Supplies so was able to do a counter pickup.

I'll put that in this weekend - hopefully just losing a splash of fluid in the process. The magnet might be a bit less powerful than the GoldPlug, but it still feels plenty good. Definitely a bit of piece of mind on an otherwise non-serviceable transmission.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The only weak point with the Traverse is the lubrication of the timing chain which warrants more frequent motor oil changes. There is no value in changing out the transmission fluid unless you are concerned about the profits for Mobil and Exxon and the rest of the crooks. There is a reason why there are SAE standards and why they change over time as new engines with new materials are produced.

It has changed radically from the 1960's when I first started working on cars. At that time it was rare to get 100K on an engine without a major repair (still is with some Chevy and Ford engines). Now there are many engines that routinely last for over 300K miles. Same applies to transmissions and there is no comparison between a light duty vehicle like the Traverse and a diesel engine with the Allison transmission and vehicles with a GCWR of 30,000 lbs, far more than will be the case with a fully loaded Traverse even with a 5K trailer load.

·
Registered
2019 Traverse LS
22 Posts
Well I really appreciate everyone's input on this thread. It's been a long read, but well worth it for the information.

I am in the process of gathering everything to do a transmission aux cooler install on my 2019 LS, and changing the fluid will also happen during this install. I do have the slight shudder that some have experienced. I only notice it mainly on one turn in my neighborhood coming home from work (2nd to 3rd shift), and sitting in stop-n-go traffic on the highway. I just got her over 30k miles the other day, and of course I have no idea if the transmission fluid has ever been changed. Hopefully a fluid change will help the transmission shudder, because I'm never a big fan of the stealerships... It will be my little winter project one day, and I'm just slowly gathering all the parts needed. I do have the transmission cooler so far that @Porrsher posted about in another thread (thanks btw), and I did go with the magnetic drain plug from Power **** Racing. That name made me chuckle, but also they are form GA which is my home state before being relocated by Uncle Sam. Next items will just be fluid (haven't decided between M1 or Val), hoses, clamps and fittings.

I'm really glad I found this forum, and it has given me so much information! All you peoples are awesome!

Oh and the tranny cooler install is mainly to help with towing. I gots me a little 5x8 enclosed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I recently serviced a 2018 awd traverse with 9 speed trans. Transmission was overheating very quickly when I drained thr fluid only 4 quarts came out incase like this from the dealership. So doing at least one drain and fill on these transmissions is a good idea escpecially if your are seeing high tempetures on your gauge during trips. I USED AC DELCO DEXRON 6 ATF wanted to add a delco also has a dexron HP ATF like Mobil 1 makes might switch to the hp for this vehicle sometime. After draining and filling the atf to the correct amount all the overheating problems were gone.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Our 9T65's are unique in that unlike most all transmissions that hold all of the fluid in the bottom pan, our's has a expansion tank to hold excess fluid when the trans is hot, then returns it to the sump when the fluid cools and contracts.

This operates much like the expansion tank for the engine coolant.

If you get the fluid as close as you can ( + or - 0.5 quarts) I think this expansion tank will do the rest.

It's all about fuel efficiency. Ever try to run in a swimming pool? It's hard. Same goes for all the spinny bits in the transmission. They want to keep them away from the oil as the volume increases with heat and the level rises.

Pretty smart.

View attachment 9737
Seems like this would make an exact level a bit less critical?

·
Registered
2019 Premier FWD
129 Posts
2019 Traverse Premier 50k miles on her, new to me. I usually keep my vehicles well over 100k (got almost 284k on my '02 Suburban over 14 years). I have the V92 Tow Package, but do not have anything to tow and will probably not be towing with her. I have not noticed any shudder, but maybe a few micro-seconds of indecision at certain speeds/inclines.

I am going to do the Transmission fluid service ASAP. I should be getting my ATF this week (found some on sale, see deals section).

I am using Valvoline Dexron VI Full Synthetic for this go around, and will do the "double dump" drain and fill. I also purchased the PowerSl*t racing magnetic drain plug, so I will install it. I'll post pictures of the old fluid.

Question1: How long are you waiting between the two drain and fills? I think I see some "drive it around the block", and others "drive xxx miles" before second drain and fill. What are the Pros and Cons of either way?

Question2: The 2019 severe maintenance schedule says 50k miles for the trans fluid change. I think some of you are running shorter intervals. What is the consensus on miles?

Thanks,
RandyMan

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
2019 Traverse Premier 50k miles on her, new to me. I usually keep my vehicles well over 100k (got almost 284k on my '02 Suburban over 14 years). I have the V92 Tow Package, but do not have anything to tow and will probably not be towing with her. I have not noticed any shudder, but maybe a few micro-seconds of indecision at certain speeds/inclines.

I am going to do the Transmission fluid service ASAP. I should be getting my ATF this week (found some on sale, see deals section).

I am using Valvoline Dexron VI Full Synthetic for this go around, and will do the "double dump" drain and fill. I also purchased the PowerSl*t racing magnetic drain plug, so I will install it. I'll post pictures of the old fluid.

Question1: How long are you waiting between the two drain and fills? I think I see some "drive it around the block", and others "drive xxx miles" before second drain and fill. What are the Pros and Cons of either way?

Question2: The 2019 severe maintenance schedule says 50k miles for the trans fluid change. I think some of you are running shorter intervals. What is the consensus on miles?

Thanks,
RandyMan
Personally, I'd be fine stretching to the next oil change. The fluid in yours should be in good shape and you are way ahead of the game. It doesn't take long for the fluid to fully circulate and mix, so you could do it on consecutive days with say 50 miles of mixed driving thrown in between to circulate the fluid.

I personally do 25-30k. My transmissions have never complained about it and the cost is minimal since I do my own work.

Reactions: RandyMan

·
Registered
2019 Premier FWD
129 Posts
'19 Traverse Premier, 50k miles. Did the first ATF drain and fill last night. The fluid was dark, but still smelled OK.

Color (don't tell my wife I used her jelly jar):
Tableware Drinkware Liquid Stemware Barware

Measurement:
Gadget Gas Audio equipment Electric blue Multimedia

Plus this much more:
Azure Vehicle door Gas Electric blue Automotive exterior

I got 6 quarts (plus a little more) out, so I put 6 quarts back in:
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Fender

I'll check the level using the side plug after the next drain and fill.

It is super simple to do this maintenance. I didn't even have to jack her up, I just laid on the floor under the front bumper.

Thanks Bob for the original post and inspiration.

-RandyMan

·
Registered
2022 Chevrolet Traverse RS
31 Posts
Bought a 2022 RS in Feb. Don't put much miles here in HI (maybe 6k a year) but want to change out the factory fluid. Have about 300 miles on it now. What would be good break in mileage point to do the double dump? Got the plug Hauler found @ powerslutracing and Valvoline ready to go. Mahalo for any advice in advance!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #378 ·
Dex VI fluid is hygroscopic, which is part of the problem. With the amount of moisture you have in the air in HI, I'd change it now, and then annually thereafter.

Check out post #17. There are more just like it, all over the ol' inna net.

·
Registered
2022 Chevrolet Traverse RS
31 Posts
Thanks Bob! Great info from you not only on this thread but on this forum. Thought the tech at Honda was pulling my leg when I took my wife's CR-V in for service - said because of the moisture I should get the trans and brake fluids changed annually.
On the annual changes should I double dump too?
Mahalo!!

361 - 380 of 394 Posts