Traverse Forum banner
321 - 339 of 339 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Forgot to mention the magnetic drain plug. Tip looked to have a thin, grey "mud" on the end that ended up being metal shavings. Glad to have switched to a plug that would pick em up. Is this normal to see? Is this a normal part of the tranny breaking in and or wear? Should I continue to see this or not?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Forgot to mention the magnetic drain plug. Tip looked to have a thin, grey "mud" on the end that ended up being metal shavings. Glad to have switched to a plug that would pick em up. Is this normal to see? Is this a normal part of the tranny breaking in and or wear? Should I continue to see this or not?
If it's a small "glob" with very fine particles I'd say it's normal. If you start seeing shavings or a large amount I would be more concerned.

Reactions: Njtraverse

·
Registered
2020 High Country
627 Posts
The grey ''mud'' is the metallic particles that normally wear out of the trans. clutches as they wear from normal shifting.
Normal to see in any auto. trans. no matter make / brand of the trans. .

·
Registered
117 Posts
Update. 900+ mile drive. All Highway. Avg 80 degrees ambient temp. Mostly in 9th gear. Avg. 75 mph. Avg tranny temp 200; Never got hotter than 210. Sound ok?

·
Registered
2020 High Country
627 Posts
Sounds good.
Don't forget trans. fluid goes through radiator so it gets up to coolant temp. .
Trans usually runs 100 deg. above ambient temp. in hot weather. Higher speeds = higher temps also.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Update. 900+ mile drive. All Highway. Avg 80 degrees ambient temp. Mostly in 9th gear. Avg. 75 mph. Avg tranny temp 200; Never got hotter than 210. Sound ok?
Sounds perfect. How was your mileage? It amazes me the mileage numbers some drivers with 2nd gens are getting. Best I've ever seen was a trip to Stone Harbor, we got 24 in my '14.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
627 Posts
Sounds perfect. How was your mileage? It amazes me the mileage numbers some drivers with 2nd gens are getting. Best I've ever seen was a trip to Stone Harbor, we got 24 in my '14.
Just did 250 miler and avg. was 24.5 in my '20 going from 750' to 1800' altitudes. Usually get another 1 mpg on the way back. Best on the dash gauge is 26. This thing is as good or better than my '16 3.6 Equinox AWD. Being able to run in FWD and not AWD all the time is the big difference IMO.

·
Registered
117 Posts
To your point, dash said 26 mpg! Even my wife remarked at how few stops we made for such a long trip! Made the second degree burns I got from getting the tranny leveling plug back in all but forgotten.

·
Registered
933 Posts
All good to me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just yesterday I did a 120 mile trip and squeaked out 27 MPG. It was a combination of highway driving at about 70 MPH and county roads at about 50-55 MPH, and in 2WD the whole time. I'm pretty impressed with the MPG for a vehicle this large. Overall, I've been averaging about 450-500 miles per tank.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can anyone point me to the post or weblink for a Magnetic Drain plug for the Tranny? Thank you
'21 model about 20K miles. Slight shudder in 2 and 3 gear now and then.. Looking to try this fluid change.

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hauler I ordered mine from Gold Plug direct like Superdave just posted.
Its been 2 weeks and hasn't shipped.... So apparently they are also out of stock with the manufacturer

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great post! Just finished a road trip to PA this past weekend. 4 people in the car at 75 MPH had the transmission temperature at 225. I will be doing the transmission fluid change soon since the Traverse is a 2018 with 29,000 miles.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just hit 40k and performed my second ATF change. The first ATF change was dark at just over 20k and the second ATF change was lighter in color at just over 40K. The magnetic drain plus was covered in some gray stuff too but not much... I used Valvoline as listed here and seemed to wear better than the OEM stuff. Based on the color only, I could have waited another 10K miles but what the ****...$40.00 bucks is a cheap preventive measure. As always, get the ATF hot, go up and down with the shifter to make sure it reaches all the spaces and use the over flow plug on the side to drain the excess ATF while the SUV is idling. Like I stated on my first response, I can hear the shifts but not the shifting... My temps on long drives over 1200 miles and up, for example the Rockies to Pikes Peak and other higher elevations hung around 199. Same for the Smokies. Coming down Pikes, my brakes were hotter...lol...until I used + and - on the shifter which greatly reduced the brake temps. ( New 2020 Navigator was being towed down. Apparently, the brakes overheated and burnt the pads.) Didn't make the check point...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's how to service the new 9 speed transmission. The wifey's Traverse just hit 2k miles, so lets take a look and see how it's doing. If you can change your own oil, you can do this!! The dealer charges a ton of money to do it, and putting it off could cost you a transmission... so lets get to it! The reason I'm doing it so early is to get the factory oil out, look for any debris, and to install a magnetic drainplug. These transmissions have a non servicable filter.... how dumb! The Allison 1000 in my Duramax trucks has a small spin on, much like a engine oil filter. Why the new 9 speed does not is beyond my thinking. This is the Allison filter...
View attachment 8927

First, find a good level spot. Most garage floors are level enough. Start by draining the old fluid.... you need a drainpan and 11mm or 7-16ths socket. Let it drain all the way out. This could take 10 minutes or so.
View attachment 8926

Next, replace the stock drainplug with the Gold Plug. It's not like a cheapo you get a Autozone. This thing is strong!
View attachment 8928 View attachment 8929
It screws in with a 10mm socket . I got mine from Amazon.
View attachment 8930

There is allot of metal slinging around is this transmission, including the ring and pinion gear. Some FWD transmissions have a separate "Final Drive" full of gear oil for the ring and pinion... not this one. You want any debris to gather on the magnet, rather than plug up the filter.

Then, take the old oil and pour it into something to measure the volume. Here it is sitting in the drain pan. For only having 2k miles on it it's already turning dark and a has a bit of a stink to it.Healthy atf is cherry red... this is more like dark cherry..
View attachment 8931 .

Here it is being measured.You can see how dark it is. It measured out a 5.5 quarts exactly.
View attachment 8932

Next , pop off the engine cover and remove the fill plug and shove the funnel in.You need a T30 Torx driver to get one bolt out, then the cover pops right off. This long funnel is available at any auto supply store.
View attachment 8933 View attachment 8934

Dump in 6 quarts of DEX VI ATF. I like Valvoline Synthetic . But wait!! Only 5.5 quarts came out. WTF? Well. You can make a choice here. You can put 5.5 quarts in and call it a day, or you can put in the full 6 quarts and set the fluid level... and here's how.

Start it up and let it run for a bit. Let the engine fan come on a few times, so you know it's at full operation temp. Then pull out the "Level" plug WHILE IT'S RUNNING!. It lives behind the left front tire. If you added 6 quarts, then .5 quarts should come out and then it will slowly drip. Reinstall the "Level" plug now. This is what I did. I collected the oil that came out and it was exactly .5 quarts.... so either method works fine.
View attachment 8935

Then, go for a test drive and look for leaks. I plan to do this again at 5000 miles, then every 30k miles afterwords.

I keep my vehicles for 200k miles.... and regardless of brand or size I do this to every single one..... and I've never replaced a trans in any of them. It's very cheap insurance. The 6 quarts of ATF and the gold plug was $60 and a hour of time. If you have any questions.... ask away. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
Are you sure the transmission doesn't need to be at a specific temperature range when checking the level?
Does this void the warranty???? Mine started missing and I thought it could be software. Then running in the mountains it wasn’t downshifting properly.

321 - 339 of 339 Posts