Traverse Forum banner
301 - 320 of 339 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just read the whole post and had to share.
We got our '18 traverse in may of '18.
Changed the engine oil at 750 miles and drove cross country and back not long after. At this point the vehicle had about 6k miles on it. Did the shuttering or as I described it, seemed to hunt for 2-3 gear intermittently.

Dealer updated transmission and engine control software and replaced fluid per TSB. Actually fine ever since save for an isolated incident with a CEL where they basically unplugged the battery to resolve. Vehicle currently has 28k miles.

My question is, how hot is too hot for the transmission fluid? I do not have the tow package and I suspect the fluid could be over/underfilled, although a mechanic friend of mine at the dealer said the tranny guys are pretty good at the same local dealer. I simply believe the transmission temps get up there, will need to pay better attention to document a specific number, but also in hot norcal on hot pavement, ambient could easily be 100 on the pavement most of the summer 120 in August. Have not seen any dummy lights or warnings about transmission temperature.

Sounds like 90 over ambient is about normal so at 120 over ambient it's too hot, 140?

Appreciate expert opinions and thanks for a very useful thread!

·
Registered
933 Posts
Just read the whole post and had to share.
We got our '18 traverse in may of '18.
Changed the engine oil at 750 miles and drove cross country and back not long after. At this point the vehicle had about 6k miles on it. Did the shuttering or as I described it, seemed to hunt for 2-3 gear intermittently.

Dealer updated transmission and engine control software and replaced fluid per TSB. Actually fine ever since save for an isolated incident with a CEL where they basically unplugged the battery to resolve. Vehicle currently has 28k miles.

My question is, how hot is too hot for the transmission fluid? I do not have the tow package and I suspect the fluid could be over/underfilled, although a mechanic friend of mine at the dealer said the tranny guys are pretty good at the same local dealer. I simply believe the transmission temps get up there, will need to pay better attention to document a specific number, but also in hot norcal on hot pavement, ambient could easily be 100 on the pavement most of the summer 120 in August. Have not seen any dummy lights or warnings about transmission temperature.

Sounds like 90 over ambient is about normal so at 120 over ambient it's too hot, 140?

Appreciate expert opinions and thanks for a very useful thread!
Here is a quick chart I found on BITOG... Generally I have never seen above 210-215 on our Pilot or Traverse, but I also am not towing heavy with either of them. I just completed a 1200 mile round trip in the last week with my non V92 Traverse and I was seeing around 100-110 over ambient at 75 mph, maybe 120 over ambient through the Mountains in SW PA.

Reactions: repairman54

·
Registered
2020 High Country
627 Posts
Just towed my boat yesterday with my V92 Tahoe. Was running 100 F over ambient temp in the low 80's on hilly 2 lanes and highway at 65 heading up to the ADK's.
Only vehicle in the fleet with trans. temp. gauge. Not sure on actual weight but trailer GVWR is 3500 lb.. 18' pontoon is a wind catcher for sure, avg. 12 mpg with it.
Chart looks like I'm spot on, nice to see a reference chart, TNX.

·
Registered
37 Posts
GM removed the ability to read the tranny temp through the DIC on later year models. My ‘21 Premiere AWD w trailering package doesn’t have it. But there is another way. For those that have a Scangauge 2, here is the XGAUGE to program to display the tranny temp in degrees F.

TXD =07E2221940
RXF =046205190640
RXD =3008
MTH =00090005FFD8
Name =TFT (really you can call it whatever you want)

It worked great on my ‘21 Traverse.

·
Registered
933 Posts
GM removed the ability to read the tranny temp through the DIC on later year models. My ‘21 Premiere AWD w trailering package doesn’t have it. But there is another way. For those that have a Scangauge 2, here is the XGAUGE to program to display the tranny temp in degrees F.

TXD =07E2221940
RXF =046205190640
RXD =3008
MTH =00090005FFD8
Name =TFT (really you can call it whatever you want)

It worked great on my ‘21 Traverse.
I programed my XGAUGE for CTT (Chevy Trans Temp), STT (Sonata Trans Temp) and HTT (Honda (Pilot) Trans Temp). Used it on our trip through the Appalachians and never saw the trans temp in the Traverse crack 200.

Reactions: Hauler

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just bought our 2018 Premier last week and towed the boat for the first time this weekend. Trans hit 175 during the tow and dropped to 140’s unloaded thereafter. No problems with shifting during the tow but still going to change driveline fluids since I don’t know the service history.

·
Registered
37 Posts
FYI -I've been running with the scangauge xgauge for about a week and haven't seen temps over 179 F with max outside temps of 85 F. There's been no trailer towing but lots of up & down grades in WV and PA.

·
Registered
22 Posts
FYI -I've been running with the scangauge xgauge for about a week and haven't seen temps over 179 F with max outside temps of 85 F. There's been no trailer towing but lots of up & down grades in WV and PA.
With the tow package?

I am seeing 212 with 100 ambient doing mixed freeway and stop and go, 2018, no tow package, not towing, 28k miles, dealer exchanged fluid at about 6k due to bulletin, assume dexron vi was used as this would have been approx Aug of 18.

About to perform the drain and fill. Looks like I could leave driver side front tire on and turn wheel full to the right. Are people just using a level garage floor or actually leveling the vehicle somehow. The manual said use a hoist, I was hoping to just keep it on my garage floor.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2020 High Country
627 Posts
No sign of leakage on the trans. then put back in the same amount that came out. An extra ounce or two will not matter.
I would go with a full synthetic Dexron VI trans. fluid not a ''blend'' standard fluid like the factory stuff.
Dealer probably used regular blend bulk fluid.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just turned the wheel all the way to the right completely, then used the socket with an extension to reach the fill plug, no issues that way. I just placed the vehicle on a flat, level service by eyeballing it, you can usually tell if one side is dipping or so.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Just towed my boat yesterday with my V92 Tahoe. Was running 100 F over ambient temp in the low 80's on hilly 2 lanes and highway at 65 heading up to the ADK's.
Only vehicle in the fleet with trans. temp. gauge. Not sure on actual weight but trailer GVWR is 3500 lb.. 18' pontoon is a wind catcher for sure, avg. 12 mpg with it.
Chart looks like I'm spot on, nice to see a reference chart, TNX.
And another reference point, from our 2019 AWD with trailering package:

Made a 130 mile return highway trip today. Ambient Temp was 92 degrees. and was running 80 mph into a headwind (no trailer, just 2 occupants). Relatively flat terrain, stayed in overdrive (9th gear) the whole trip at ~1900 rpms, Trans temp. ranged between 212F and 215F. Then slowed to 65 mph for a 10 mile stretch and temp dropped to 210F. Then the last 5 miles was suburban cruising and temp dropped to 204. Seems consistent with what others have seen?

·
Registered
117 Posts
And another reference point, from our 2019 AWD with trailering package:

Made a 130 mile return highway trip today. Ambient Temp was 92 degrees. and was running 80 mph into a headwind (no trailer, just 2 occupants). Relatively flat terrain, stayed in overdrive (9th gear) the whole trip at ~1900 rpms, Trans temp. ranged between 212F and 215F. Then slowed to 65 mph for a 10 mile stretch and temp dropped to 210F. Then the last 5 miles was suburban cruising and temp dropped to 204. Seems consistent with what others have seen?
Yes. I've got a 2019 without the trailering package and have had similar tranny temps at that speed and outdoor temp. I've read somewhere that these tranny's tend to run hot...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fwiw, that sounds right, I'll know more after a cross county trip next week but with about 22k miles on this fluid I put a ziptie down the fill cap and looked at it on a napkin and it looked great, pink, not dark.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have the towing package and on 90+ days my trans temp will get to 210 when driving 75 mph on highways with steeper inclines, four of us in the car with all our stuff to go to a lake for the week. Dropping to 65 mph brings the temp down to around 200 on those days.

·
Registered
117 Posts
So I'm getting ready to do a fluid change again and had a new thought. Does it make a difference if the tranny is hot or cold when I drain it? I'm no expert but if there are chambers that hold or release fluid based on temperature, wouldn't it make a difference?

·
Registered
2020 High Country
627 Posts
Warm fluid is supposed to keep any solids in suspension so they drain out with the fluid, same applies to engine oil.
With engine off warm fluid will drain back down quicker. Nothing holds fluid trapped temp. wise in the trans. .
I let mine drip for a while until is stops, seems forever when you want to get a job wrapped up.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Warm fluid is supposed to keep any solids in suspension so they drain out with the fluid, same applies to engine oil.
With engine off warm fluid will drain back down quicker. Nothing holds fluid trapped temp. wise in the trans. .
I let mine drip for a while until is stops, seems forever when you want to get a job wrapped up.
This is my feeling as well. I almost always drain fluids hot unless the manual says not to.

Reactions: Njtraverse

·
Registered
117 Posts
Alright, so second fluid change was the charm. Warmed it up. 5.5 quarts came out. Put 6 quarts in. Went for a drive and got the tranny temp up to 190. Garaged it/level floor. Got the levelling bolt out and lo and behold .5 quarts came out. Taking the fam on a long road trip tomorrow. Will be interesting to see if this second, more accurate fluid change will impact tranny fluid temps which were previously too high for my comfort.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Excellent news. Just remember the transmission fluid flows through part of the radiator, so seeing them get to 200-210 is normal and not concerning IMO.

Reactions: Njtraverse
301 - 320 of 339 Posts